Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Berks County)

This club I was looking at a while ago had a special section on their membership form about volunteering. Maintaining the range was encouraged, but if you didn't have the time to do that you could help out in other ways. This could include doing paper work, helping with computer work, etc.

If you really don't have the time (or didn't want to) volunteer for manual labor, it asked for a donation to compensate. I think this is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

I think club members should be focused on getting more younger shooters in the door. So many people I know around my age have been brainwashed by Hollywood about guns and they aren't going to enjoy a range visit with me if the people are rude. We need to get more younger people involved in guns so that hopefully in the future they will become more active members at their club.

If a younger member gets harassed by older members and is made to feel like an outcast, that younger member will never want to invest more money and/or time into the club.

(Union County)

I imagine the "old timers" are getting a tired of being the only ones willing to volunteer their time and labor to keep the ranges up and working. At three of the gun clubs I belong to the younger members only show up to shot, most will leave a mess that some one has to clean up behind them, and I can't say much for their safety practices.

Also, when their is any type of function like a range day/weekend for the children, it seems that only the "older" member are out working the firing lines, teaching safety, providing the firearms for the kids to shoot, and over all making sure everyone has a great time. Most of the younger member seem to be missing in action for these events.

Having said the above I can also see the younger members side of the coin, busy making living, paying off debts, raising a family etc....but I think that if these members would offer to help out and take an interest in the club by at least making a meeting or two, a lot of these type of problems would be avoided.

grizz

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Why are some of the old timers at gun ranges such jerks?

I'm an old guy and you can shoot with me anytime you want. Do
    not feel bad sonny,I get treated this way sometimes also. Just
    clear the range for safety and shoot. You are right you pay to use
    the club and you have a minimum amount of free time. The guys that
    really get under my skin are the ones who walk up to me and want to
    talk their heads off while I'm trying to practice.

1st Tour Vietnam 1st/16th Rangers,U.S. 1st Infantry Division
    2nd Tour Vietnam 9th Infantry Division Recon,U.S. 9th Infantry Division

As you can see I know my way around the range a little bit. Hope it gets
    better there at your club for you.

40user

(Bucks County)

I belong to a Indoor range, Classic pistol, and i dont know if there are different codes of conduct for indoor and outdoor ranges. Dont get me wrong, i am a clean person and i clean up all my brass. However i paid my $220 bills for the year membership and i think that covers my wear and tear on the range, and i do not think i would be down for going there on my free time and replacing the carpets lol. But i do see helping out with the outdoor ranges that have a lower membership fees.
    Oh and for range oldtimers, my personal experience with them is they tend to be a bit "cooky" and they think they know alot about alot. Most can be very overbearing. They do have alot of usefull info if you know how to get it from them.
    Drak
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Montgomery County)

Classic Pistol is not a club, it is a business. As such the range fees and membership should cover things. With a club it is all volunteers.

The maid is not coming in to clean and the illegal is not coming to cut the grass.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123