Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default .50 BMG AR Uppers

Does anyone have experience with these uppers?

In particular, I'm looking at the Zel Custom Manufacturing Tactilite T2 bolt action with a side loading 5 round magazine and the tank brake, despite the upwards of a 12 month back order on their barrels.

Seems like it could be a good $2,800 "budget" alternative to a Barrett. And a .50 BMG AR would definitely get looks on the range.

And it would be legal to hunt with in Pennsylvania, since it's bolt action!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: .50 BMG AR Uppers

That looks like a pretty cool Set up.... I know nothing of the manufacturer... But the quality looks good! I have a Bohica Upper, which is not nearly as nice, and while nothing fancy, it is a lot of fun to shoot, and the ultimate attention getter at the range.

That said.... Do you really need the five round capacity in a bolt action, Range toy? I would look at a Serbu, or Safety Harbor over the AR upper style.... (I used to own a Serbu BFG-50, and I am sorry I sold it!) I think you get a sturdier, more accurate weapon for less money.... That is cash you can put into optics and ammo! I run a SWFA 16x super sniper, on my Bohica and for the money... You can't beat it... they are built like a tank.... The .50's love to eat scopes! The S.S. takes it in stride! But if I was really trying to "reach out and touch someone" and wring all I could outta the .50, I would be looking at better glass!

Keep in mind that in eastern PA there are damn few places to shoot a .50 past 200 yards, if at all! (my dad has a private club in N.Y. With a 500 yard range... Talking of putting in a 1000! Until that is that N.Y. Makes the .50 illegal.... Like everything else!), I see you are in Western PA, I hear there are better long distance ranges out your way... So that is a good thing.... On our side of the state... It is almost not worth it!

I don't mean to crap on your parade... Shooting the .50 is just too damn much fun.... And I highly recommend it.... For tons of good advise, and smarter, more knowlegable people by far then me.... Join the fifty caliber shooters association.

http://www.fcsa.org/

Good luck, shoot safe!
    Fred
    Last edited by 1096369fred; August 14th, 2013 at 06:49 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

Are you set on a 50? Lots of 338 lapuas in that price range.

(Northampton County)

As fred said, Safety Harbor has very similar products a little bit cheaper. Like the five round side mag upper.

http://safetyharborfirearms.com/

Don't know which is better just throwing out another similar option.

(Montgomery County)

Skip it and get something proven to be reliable and accurate:

Serbu
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Thanks for the additional options.

I eventually want to get either a Barrett Model 99 or a Serbu BFG-50, so looking for a dedicated 50-cal standalone is not a major concern.

I'm looking at the Safety Harbor uppers. As long as that stock muzzle brake can be replaced with a tank brake, I could see myself playing with one of those. Otherwise...the recoil of a .50 BMG with a minimal brake scares me.

As for .338 versus .50, what are the advantages of the .338 over the .50?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    Thanks for the additional options.

I eventually want to get either a Barrett Model 99 or a Serbu BFG-50, so looking for a dedicated 50-cal standalone is not a major concern.

I'm looking at the Safety Harbor uppers. As long as that stock muzzle brake can be replaced with a tank brake, I could see myself playing with one of those. Otherwise...the recoil of a .50 BMG with a minimal brake scares me.
    I have to assume you've never shot a 50, or only shot one with a tank style brake. The Safety Harbor brake looks like a copy of the Serbu Shark brake. I can't attest to the efficiency of the Safety Harbor brake, but the Serbu brake is excellent. Any of their guns shoot softer than a pump shotty with buckshot. Way softer in my opinion. The muzzle blast is interesting.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Northampton County)

There were videos on Weaponeer of a group buy organizer shooting the Safety Harbor from the shoulder, unsupported and standing. It's supposedly similar to 12 gauge.

But that's not very scientific and I have no experience. Just saying don't dismiss it out of hand, might be worth looking into.

Also, shorter barrels have less recoil. Have to factor in your velocity/range/drop requirements.

I've only shot a Barrett with the tank brake before, so I'll freely admit I have no experience with non-tank brakes. I suppose it couldn't hurt to fire one of them with the standard brake and swap it out for a tank brake down the road if I want to.

I believe my tax return for this year will be turned into a .50 BMG AR.

(Bucks County)

My Bohica has what could be described as a tank brake... It is massive, but It is not nearly as soft shooting as the Serbu with the shark brake... That said, I have shoulder fired both fifties... In some ways it has less felt recoil that way... I notice it more at the bench.... I want to do some prone work next week, but I suspect I will feel more recoil that way. As others have said the actual recoil is less then a 12 gauge with slugs.... But you do tend to perceive more due to the noise and blast! If ya wanna get your bell rung... Stand in the "V" of the brake, off to either side of the shooter.... You will see what I mean. Directly behind the shooter is the calmest place to stand!

I am not sure it is still going on, but there is a 10% off group buy for the Serbu here:

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144260

Mark Serbu is a great guy... Been following him for years, and he is stand up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast