Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking to get started in reloading - advice?

OK, I was never bothered with ammo prices until lately but the trips to the ammo store are starting to get worse than filling up the tank SO I have decided to get off my but and finally learn how to reload. My 'arsenal' runs from 32 auto through 30/30 with just about one of everything in between so I have a boatload of different ammunition to make.

Now let me say I am no dummy when it comes to mechanical things (ex-mechanic, engineering assistant, jack of all trades type).

I am looking for advice on a good reloading machine, books and or good websites to read etc etc etc.

Default Re: Looking to get started in reloading - advice?

hard to beat the hornady lock n load, they are about $375, but you also get 1000 free bullets of your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    hard to beat the hornady lock n load, they are about $375, but you also get 1000 free bullets of your choice.
    this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/Hornady-Classic-...QQcmdZViewItem

or this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hornady-085003-L...QQcmdZViewItem

sorry for the eBay links, they were the first in a Google search

(Lebanon County)

If you're going to load a few (less than 100) at a time for several different calibers, I recommend a single stage press (or two if you have the space), or a turret press, and Lee dies. The Lee dies are good quality, easy to adjust, and inexpensive. 2 used presses can be found fairly cheap and can be quite handy, but a turret press with quick change turrets is even handier.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...sicTurretPress
    http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...rretpress.html

If you were going to load large quantities of just one or two calibers I'd suggest going with a progressive setup.

As far as books are concerned, there are several available, I haven't seen a "bad" one yet. Lyman books are good, ABC's of Reloading is real good, Modern Reloading by Richard Lee is good. Get more than one book and read them, then keep them handy to your work area and use them often.

eBay can be a good source of books and equipment, but not without risk of being scammed or getting damaged or inferior goods.
    There are several threads here regarding getting started in reloading, there is more advice than you could shake a stick at. All of the advice could generate more questions than answers. What it boils down to is your individual situation and needs. Feel free to post with more specific details of what you want and need, such as approximate quantities you expect to load in one session, number of different calibers you want to load for, how much available space you have, how much $$ you're comfortable spending to get started, etc..
    We'll do our best to give you appropriate advice.

I do most of my reloading at the kitchen table with a Lee hand press. If I'm going to load a substantial quantity, I'll use one or 2 of my bench mounted single stage presses, it all depends on the job. I don't do enough of any one caliber at one time to justify a progressive press, and I found good used single stage presses cheap enough that I haven't felt the need to buy a turret press (yet).

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Thanks for the info, I would be reloading 32 auto, 9mm, 40, 7.62 and 30/30 Winchester with the main one being 9mm (we go through a ton of that)

I do have plenty of room to work with a workbench in the basement so I'm not too concerned about that. I also don't think I would sit down too often and try to crank out 1000 rounds, it would be more like replenishing our stock at a couple 100 rounds at a time.

Will be reading the threads here as much as I can to try and get up to speed

(Tioga County)

It sounds to me like the Lee turret press will float your boat. As to books, on my reading list would be, The ABC's of Reloading, Lyman's "Metallic Reloading" I think this is still in it 48th edition. and Lee's "Modern Reloading". Then, as many MFG data manuals as you can afford. Sierra, Nosler, Speer. Powder Mfg put out pamphlets for their powders and have web sites but first get the books and learn. Then you will know if you really want to reload and have a better idea of what equipment you will want. First the reading assignment, then equipment. Reloading isn't hard but it is very detail oriented.

Two last warnings:
    It is a very addictive hobby there is no known cure.
    You won't save any money but you will shoot a lot more.

(Bucks County)

D C D,

I've used plenty of presses and dies and was fortunate to be advised - ' Save yourself money and aggravation , buy GOOD equipment ' !

Personal pref for a You can't flex it single-stage is ' C - H ' !

Redding makes a good and nearly as strong single if C - H is no longer available ( my C - H is over 25 yrs. old ).
    Most of my dies (bottleneck) are Hornady. Also have a few Redding, but prefer Hornadys tapered expander.
    I recommend Lee's ' Crimp ' die ( just the crimp die ) for tube fed ammo ( 30-30, 25-20, .33 Win., .444, etc. ) especially heavy loads were recoil will show you how poor a crimp a combo die does.

Personal Pref for progressive is Dillon and Dillons Pistol Dies.
    Great machines, well made and they back 'em up if you goof. Have a Dillon 650 w/case feed for about 15 yrs. and no regrets. You ever need advice or parts and they bend over backwards to assist you.

! ! ! ! DO NOT PINCH PENNIES ON YOUR SCALE ! ! ! !

Level is important - I made aluminum block with 4 thumb screws and 2 bubble levels for my beam scale and my electronic scale . . . local bench rest champs advice !

If you get a ' Kick ' out of putting 'em in one hole you'll never regret your outlay.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Intolerantbobj View Post
    D C D,

I've used plenty of presses and dies and was fortunate to be advised - ' Save yourself money and aggravation , buy GOOD equipment ' !

Personal pref for a You can't flex it single-stage is ' C - H ' !

Redding makes a good and nearly as strong single if C - H is no longer available ( my C - H is over 25 yrs. old ).
    Most of my dies (bottleneck) are Hornady. Also have a few Redding, but prefer Hornadys tapered expander.
    I recommend Lee's ' Crimp ' die ( just the crimp die ) for tube fed ammo ( 30-30, 25-20, .33 Win., .444, etc. ) especially heavy loads were recoil will show you how poor a crimp a combo die does.

Personal Pref for progressive is Dillon and Dillons Pistol Dies.
    Great machines, well made and they back 'em up if you goof. Have a Dillon 650 w/case feed for about 15 yrs. and no regrets. You ever need advice or parts and they bend over backwards to assist you.

! ! ! ! DO NOT PINCH PENNIES ON YOUR SCALE ! ! ! !

Level is important - I made aluminum block with 4 thumb screws and 2 bubble levels for my beam scale and my electronic scale . . . local bench rest champs advice !

If you get a ' Kick ' out of putting 'em in one hole you'll never regret your outlay.
    It is nice to see some one else not recommend a certain brand of equipment.For a few dollars more there is better stuff out there. The Heavy Duty Champion Press is a big sob though.
    www.ch4d.com

(Lycoming County)

i have been reloading for about a year now. i have 2 presses i use i have a lee load master that i use primarily for 9mm and 38 spl and i have a lee reloader that i bought just to size bullets but now use to load all my rifle stuff. i have my load master set up to do rifle but i found it just cant produce the accuracy i want in my rifles. but it does just fine for handgun.

As for presses if you are going to load 100 or 200 rounds of one kind of ammo you dont need a pugressive press . But if you going to load 1K or more you might want to look at one . I dont know about the presses talked about he but I do know Dillon Presses .They have a press that will fill you need . And time is a problem some dillon presses can turn out 800 round in an hour with no problem . And how can you beat a Lifetime "NO-BS'' Warrenty .
    I have been loading for years now 5 differnt calibers .
    To go from one caliber to an other takes me 5 minuts and to go from SM primer to LG primers it take other 10 minuts . There tec support is second to none . What ever you buy dont go cheap it will drive you nuts . As for books lyman 48 is a great book. Talk to guys at the range see what they use and ask if they had to do it over again if they would do anything different .
    Last edited by G10mm; May 4th, 2008 at 11:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast