Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 7.62 AK Pistols

(Berks County)

Default 7.62 AK Pistols

Considering getting an AK pistol in 7.62. Did a little research and in my price range (Under $700) there seem to be 3: Yugo M92, Romanian Draco, and IO 'Polish' Hellpup.

First impressions I got are the Hellpup is not so hot. The Draco is WASR quality, but not a Century hatchet job like some WASR's. But both appear to be parts guns. The Yugo is new manufacture from Serbia and well reviewed, but a little pricier than the others (surely for a reason).

Looks like the Draco and IO Hellpup have the typical AK sights, while the Yugo has the Krinkovs. Any issue with the Yugo rear sight attached to the dust cover (though the cover is hinged, so more secure than a typical one)? Anyone here have any personal insight into these, or any others?

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: 7.62 AK Pistols

the yugo won't have a chrome lined bore, as yugoslavia never used chrome lined bores. That being said it's still the one I would buy, best quality and an easy conversion to an SBR krink.

other then that 100% stay away from the hellpup, IO's AK's are crap

my thoughts.... get the shortest one possible unless you plan on sbr ing it, cause be honest its realy just going to be a bullet hose. the yugos are basicaly krinks without stocks where the others are cut down rifle kits.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Berks County)

Reinforced my thoughts that the Yugo is better built. The chrome lined bore isn't an issue for me. That has been discussed all over the web ad nauseam.

And yes, a 'bullet hose' is probably a good description for any AK pistol. I have no fantasies about consistently hitting anything further away than about 15 yards

I never had much interest in these until about a week ago. The Yugo is available a few places for 650 shipped new. How does that compare with prices over the last couple months? Watching a couple on GB and bid on 2 at 575, but reserves not met. Maybe buyers are waiting it out a little and expecting prices to drop some more.

IMO the dracos are 400-500 dollar guns and yugos 500-600 those with 12" barrels are good for 50+yds (if you realy try even farther) 7" and under I keep to 25yd altho at 50 I can keep them in a body target

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    IMO the dracos are 400-500 dollar guns and yugos 500-600 those with 12" barrels are good for 50+yds (if you realy try even farther) 7" and under I keep to 25yd altho at 50 I can keep them in a body target
    The Yugo has a 10" barrel and I think I could pull of 25 yds, but don't know about 50. Maybe with practice. You have some really interesting 'shorties' there! And thanks for your pricing thoughts. With those new Yugos at 650, I was hoping to find one around 550, but 600 is probably more likely.

I built all mine, the blue grips I made for a friends, but I had a mini draco but traded it off after I built mine. I like the 3" since you can actualy hold it like a pistol without getting forearm pump. I like the looks of the yugo more than the draco but Id have to sbr it

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    The Yugo has a 10" barrel and I think I could pull of 25 yds, but don't know about 50. Maybe with practice. You have some really interesting 'shorties' there! And thanks for your pricing thoughts. With those new Yugos at 650, I was hoping to find one around 550, but 600 is probably more likely.
    IIRC they were over $600 pre-panic

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    IMO the dracos are 400-500 dollar guns and yugos 500-600 those with 12" barrels are good for 50+yds (if you really try even farther) 7" and under I keep to 25yd altho at 50 I can keep them in a body target
    How do they shoot off a bag? I realize they aren't bench guns. But I built an AR in 7.62x39 and with a 7.5" barrel and Yugo surp / red dot it would clover a hole at 40+ yds off a range bag.

It felt laser guided compared to some of the AK's I have handled.

My exp with AK's is fairly hit and miss. A polish gun cobbled together on a car fender receiver... shoots as good as the AR above. If not better. Original Polish barrel, complete with a wiggly front trunnion... and spinning rivets...

12.5" AMD original barrel - 1-2" group at that distance. 50yds.

Romy's are usually about 2.5" at that distance and irons. (16") (Or abyssmal...)

Saiga's I've seen incredible and sub wasr results from. Flip a coin.

But I haven't really played much with things shorter than 7" in this caliber.

I don't like the Yugo because of the non-standard muzzle thread, handguards, gas tube etc. It's all Yugo unique. Plus no chrome HF barrel. It does have a legit Krink gas block / FSB combo. But the barrel length isn't a true Krink. Which are 8"?

Neither are any of the barrel dimensions similar to an AKM / or Bulgy/Russian Krink. So even if you wanted to buy one and hack it down, you pretty much can't. It does come with the right RSB/hinge assembly. Although that is also unique / Yugo.

The Hellpup got some seriously bad reviews. Had it not, I would have already ordered one. Although the mini draco would probably be the ticket for a Krink job. Push the GB/FSB off, then the RSB, swap it out for a Krink hinge block, and top cover. Swap the HG cap out and go.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; August 14th, 2013 at 07:02 PM.

Ive never shot the pistols off a bench but they shoot as well as any other pistol I have with the same length barrel. plus I dont have any fireproof sand bags

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast