Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Good ammo for a Hi-Point

Due to budget constraints and the lack of good used guns, I have decided to get a Hi-Point in .40 S&W... From owners I hear mostly all good things and apparently it is a good firearm for the money... The only pistol I have right now is a Taurus PT25 and although it's been uber reliable, I know it's not a good round being only .25 ACP... The .40 will give me the extra piece of mind, but what concerns me is the ammo. Every owner has a gun that eats different ammo. Some say they can only use FMJ, others say theirs will throw any lead down range that they feed it. Now before someone says they're junk and I can get so and so for only a little bit more, forget about it my mind is made up... I just want to hear from other Hi-Point owners as to what JHP rounds work the best? What about Hydra-Shoks? Thanks guys.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Good ammo for a Hi-Point

The only advice that I can give you is to wait until after the break in period and then try different brands until you find one that your gun likes. Guns, like people, have differing tastes as to what the feel is the most acceptable. I know that its a pain, but that is the best way to handle ammo choice in my opinion.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

If you have budget concerns, I'd get a 9mm over 40. The 9mm will be cheaper to shoot. If you are thinking of spending under $200 on a pistol, I would also recommend the Makarovs over a Hi point. Makarovs are a lot smaller and they have been in service with the military and the police in Europe. The caliber is between a .380 and the 9mm.

(Lawrence County)

I know they're smaller, but hasn't the company been closed for some 10 or 20 years? That, and I like what I've read about the warranty. I don't want a small gun, I have the .25 and that's small enough!!! lol At 6 feet tall and 300 pounds, I like the bigger frame and love the weight. I didn't want 9mm because of all the stories I've heard about a thick down coat stopping them and I just am not a big fan of 9mm... I've shot them before, doesn't do a thing for me... I knew I wanted something bigger than 9mm, and I've never shot a .45, so I was looking at the .40 as sort of a middle road.

Don't always believe what you see or hear...especially on the internet. Thousands of people have been killed by 9mm bullets. I promise that you won't know the difference if someone double taps you.

The Hi point is pretty tough to carry. I sold a Hi point 45 and we had to find a revolver holster to fit the Hi point. People that own Hi points say it goes bang everytime, but it's pretty bulky for carry purposes.

(Luzerne County)

My 9mm Hi-Point shot whatever I fed it. After the batteries on the Laser went dead and I couldn't harass the cats with it anymore the novelty wore off. So, I sold it.

Why not go look for a used Px4 Storm or something?

(Lawrence County)

Because I like the Hi-Point, as I have stated twice already... Why would I look into a different gun, which they didn't have available, when I found a gun in the right caliber, felt nice, and fit my hand perfectly? On top of a good price for a single father and a great warranty?
    If I wanted a small gun to carry that was reliable, I'd continue carrying the .25... I want something bigger... I just wanted some answers about what ammo to avoid so I don't buy a box and it not cycle well and then have almost a whole box that is useless to me.

Thanks Holleta for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

(Philadelphia County)

I think bill's advice is probably the best. If possible buy a few different boxes of ammo, break the gun in a bit at a range and then see what ammo seems to work best.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Luzerne County)

My GF just got a H-P .380. Its her first gun, it shoots prety decent, good waranty and price. Its heavy like a brick but its comfortable for her. Good luck with yours
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast