Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Any opinions on the Nagant Rifle 7.62X54R

I just bought a Nagant Rifle 7.62X54R today at Gander Mountain. I don't have much experience on these so I though I'd reach out and get opinions. It has the octagon breach which the salesman said was used by snipers so you can mount a scope. Ofcoarse salesman can tell you anything. I bought it because it's historical and the ammo is cheap and available. What do you guys and gals think of these rifles.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Any opinions on the Nagant Rifle 7.62X54R

I got one about a year ago with the regular round barrel.... and I LOVE it.... ammo is pretty cheap ( when you can find it ) and it is fun to shoot... and for iron sites it is really accurate...... What did ya end paying for it there ??? Just wondering and you DONT have to tell me if you dont want too.... I would understand.....

GOOD luck with it, and enjoy it.....

(Clearfield County)

yeah, he lied about the "breach". Those are what's known about "hexagon" or "hex" receivers, which is what the earliest mosin nagants used (up until the late 20's early 30's) AFAIK they never used them for building sniper rifles. Mosin snipers are usually the later round receiver, with the scope mounted on a rail which is attached to the side of the receiver.

I have 7 of them, so its safe to say I like 'em. Its not uncommon for them to have issues with certain makes of surplus ammo (varies rifle to rifle/ammo to ammo). if you post pictures of the rifle/markings I'd be able to tell you what the model is/where it was made.

(Dauphin County)

Oh I don't mind I got it for $179.99 I figured it was BS about the octagon barrel. It probably wasn't BS but just misinformed himself. I figured It was different for some reason. So it was an earlier model? That's not too bad of news.

(Dauphin County)

It came with the bayonet and an oil can with a few other parts. The price of the gun and ammo really sucked me it. Glad to hear there good rifles.

the easiest way to tell is your Mosin Nagant is an ex-sniper is to look inside the breach. There will be two filled bolt holes, and there SHOULD be a separate serial number on the side of the receiver where it meets the stock. That's the serial number of the scope that was matched with the rifle.

as far as shooting guns, that's a BLAST to shoot (literally). Be prepared for some kick. You're firing a 70+ year old rifle that wasn't designed for comfort. I'm not saying that they're not accurate, however you should be ready to be all over the board... I've also heard/read that these russian beasts were zeroed for 300m. 7.62x54r.net is quite possibly the best Mosin Nagant online reference I've ever come across. Spend some time reading about the piece of history you purchased. I love the two that I bought. I'd have more, but the wife put her foot down. (I've moved on to Enfields)

(Dauphin County)

I checked. Definitely not an ex-snipper. Sure feels like a hell of a riffle in my hands. I'm looking forward to shooting it. I can see it being an ass kicker.

(Dauphin County)

Of coarse I didn't take the time to make sure all the #'s match on the gun like some people say to do. I hope that isn't a big deal. For $179.00 I wasn't going to tear the gun apart and expect perfection.

(York County)

Tons of threads on this website about the 91/30.

It's a fun surplus rifle to own. I have a couple of them and they're a blast to shoot. Take it to the range and shoot it as much as you can stand! Congrats on the new purchase.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(York County)

Love mine. The son and I each put about 30 rounds through ours today. Shoulder is a little sore but we had fun. Ours holds a tight group but shoots low and right. We compensate with Kentucky windage and do well. Gander Mountain has new, non-corrosive ammo for about $12 a box.

I just saw J&G has the Model 54 for $99.00. Thinking about getting one just to see how much different it is from the longer version.

III% - Stand and be counted

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast