Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Ruger LCP range report (new model)

Bought a Ruger LCP 380 at targetworld last weekend, with a 3 hour range pass i figured I would stop in and see how it shot on my way to the bar (for lunch

I have one of the newer ones, serial number has no dash in it. From what i read at rugerpistolforums its probably a 2013 production gun with improved trigger and higher front sight post.

Admittedly this wasnt much of a shooting session as the only .380 ammo i had was a box of blazer aluminum. But im happy to say it shot 43 rounds flawlessly. (Had to save 7 to carry, 6+1). Every round cycled great and ejected perfectly so im very pleased, honestly i was expecting something to go wrong with my luck. Trigger was actually not bad at all, very clean break never unexpected. From what ive read this is improved over the older models with a "dash" in the serial number... For example: 372-73858. New guns have no dash.

Accuracy wasnt bad either. Sorry no pictures of targets I wasnt really planning on making this thread. Not bad though. If i dont take my time and aim it shoots 3" low. After getting a good sight picture i had 3 rounds damn close to the center circle on a standard target with 3 flyers about 4-5 inches from the center. This was at 15 feet. Moved the target closer and the gun becomes more accurate, needless to say. Its obviously a very close quarters gun so i wont be shooting anything beyond 15 feet.

All in all i am very pleased. Paid $322 for it plus tax/fee. It does exactly what i want it to, which is work. Im glad i got a newer gun in the production line. If anyone else plans on buying one you most likely will too as these things were selling like hot cakes for a while, probably still are.
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Ruger LCP range report (new model)

Nice. Congrats.
    MikeP

(Bucks County)

Went shooting last week. The guy next to me was shooting his LCP that he just bought, and every shot was keyholing at about 7 yds! Glad yours ran good!
    Last edited by theduke; August 12th, 2013 at 07:58 AM.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Bucks County)

And, how did your hands feel after 43 rounds? I find two mags of heavy loads is all my hands want to handle at one time. Of course, having worked white collar jobs my entire life has probably left me with the dreaded "sissy hands."

(Allegheny County)

I am interested in buying one due to its super concealment ability. The older ones i shot, i did not care for the snappiness. I just cannot find anything as small and as well liked overall for the price.

I would definitely buy the Hogue over grips i believe they are for it if I end up with one.
    Last edited by Just1more; August 12th, 2013 at 08:54 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    And, how did your hands feel after 43 rounds? I find two mags of heavy loads is all my hands want to handle at one time. Of course, having worked white collar jobs my entire life has probably left me with the dreaded "sissy hands."
    25 rounds is about the max for me.

I've dry fired the new LCP and it's almost worth selling my old one to buy the new one.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Montgomery County)

At close defensive distances, I'm about as accurate with mine as any other pistol I own. I can make hits further out, but I really have to take my time to do so. I also have the new model, but I run it with the extended (7 round) mag. I keep the original smaller one for a reload. With the +1 mag, it still conceals very easily in my pocket, and it lets me get a nearly full grip on it. Someday I'll get a second 7 rounder and sell off the 6.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bluetrane2028; August 15th, 2013 at 09:22 PM.

(Cumberland County)

I just recently got one of the "new" ones myself and I love it too.
    Ive got about 160 rds thru it and not a problem either.
    I keep seeing people asking about how your hands feel. As for me, Im surprised at how comfortable it shoots. I put about 75 rds thru it at one outing and it didnt bother me a bit.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I've dry fired the new LCP and it's almost worth selling my old one to buy the new one.
    That's interesting. I haven't had a chance to pick one up yet but I'll make it a point to find one. What is so different that you'd sell the one you have to get a new model? Thanks.

(Montgomery County)

New vs. old... With the new model the trigger pull is MUCH more manageable, and the sights are vastly improved. On the new LCP, the hammer is farther back when the slide is racked, which translates to less motion required before the hammer falls. Honestly, this is the way the LCP should've been from day one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast