Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Can I use a semi 22lr?

I want to do some small hunting like groundhog and squirrel. I have a new .22 lr semi auto remington. Ive seen a lot about no semis but because its a small caliber I think it is reasonable to be able to use since a shotgun is more powerful in semi and even pump. Can someone tell me if I am allowed to use it to hunt? The shop I got it from said I can but they are more tactical and self defense than hunting...

Thanks for the read!

Default Re: Can I use a semi 22lr?

No semi auto for hunting small game. I don't have it in front of me, but the hunting book that you get with your license spells it out pretty clearly what you can and can't use.

Smile Re: Can I use a semi 22lr?

Thats something we have been fighting for Use of Semi-Auto for Hunting and also Sunday Hunting !

Quote Originally Posted by Jmh464 View Post
    I want to do some small hunting like groundhog and squirrel. I have a new .22 lr semi auto remington. Ive seen a lot about no semis but because its a small caliber I think it is reasonable to be able to use since a shotgun is more powerful in semi and even pump. Can someone tell me if I am allowed to use it to hunt? The shop I got it from said I can but they are more tactical and self defense than hunting...

Thanks for the read!
    No, never, nada. Sorry, but the track record reflects that change in the use of modern firearms for hunting is PA is painfully slow (not really sure "slow" is the proper term), and the thought of you using that legally in your lifetime is nil.
    Everyone would like to see some changes somewhere, with the bear population exploding (granted there have been extended seasons), falling revenue from license sales, changes in the younger generation when it comes to hunting. There are things that could be done to further bolster the support of hunting in Pennsylvania, and my understanding is its more about tradition. That's the reason we are slow to change and use more primitive firearms than other states.
    There are many things that could change. But first off, it would require a 10 year study (or more) that would further deplete any funding, and then you need to have an active government who is willing to change.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Jefferson County)

Cut off a hand - then you can use a semi-auto.

However you will have to render the magazine capacity to 4 rounds, which may require permanently modifying the magazine so that you cannot increase capacity in the field.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!