Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default saw something today I've seen before, but marketed/sold very differently.

Because I'm not sure on the legality of this, please understand I'm not trying to call this dealer out, it just seemed like something was alarmingly in the legal gray area.

There was a dealer from Pittsburgh at the gun show outside of Philly today selling adapters that allowed one to thread an oil filter on to a muzzle. Now I've seen this before but it required the whole NFA process. He was selling this as some kind of cleaning device for $45, just plops it in your hand right there on the spot. His explanation of how exactly it was useful to cleaning the weapon it was attached to completely flew over my head because of my own disbelief in what I was watching. It almost sounded like he was saying it was up to the buyer not to do exactly what he was pitching to avoid committing a felony. Am I crazy thinking this bad bad news or is this actually legit?

Default Re: saw something today I've seen before, but marketed/sold very differently.

I'm not sure about this either but people sell brass knuckles as brass knuckle paper weights and bypass laws that way.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: saw something today I've seen before, but marketed/sold very differently.

I believe it's legal only because it's not specifically illegal. It's just a part that "could" be used to make a silencer. I'm sure it could be registered on a form 1. What surprised me was that he appeared to have them installed on guns. Maybe they weren't live guns, I didn't look closely. The filters didn't have exit holes either. ATF could bring a world of hurt on this guy if they have a mind to. Like the drop in auto sear guy.....

This has been a long standing secret till now,Suppressors and silencers just dont have my interest,but if you do,do it legally. JMO/MDT

Yeah I know this practice is spreading like wildfire, but IMO its a very dark side of a grey area.

I believe that "Device" counts as an NFA item. I don't play with those so I am not an expert on them.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Northampton County)

These are for sale on amazon .some kind of solvent trap ?

I know exactly the guy op is refering to, IMO he is playing with fire, yes you can order a "solvent trap" or you can buy a "oil filter silencer" but if you look on line usually they are made diffrent, and the one place that sells them as silencers comes with a serialized oilfilter that matches the adapter and when shotout you send it in to be "repaired" not as easy as just getting a new filter. https://cadizgunworks.com/store/inde...&path=20_26_69
    Last edited by USMC3531; August 11th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Yeah I know this practice is spreading like wildfire, but IMO its a very dark side of a grey area.
    There's no gray area... It's a silencer and what/how he is selling is ILLEGAL

(Montgomery County)

The part that bothers me most is that your average Joe gun owner, a guy who just isn't into everything like most members here, passes by the this guy's table, thinks it's a cool enough idea to blow ~$45 on, then somewhere down the road (to his utter shock) he gets arrested & charged w/ some serious shit, misses a few years of his kids' lives, wife, etc etc. At least Gemtech, AAC, etc aren't selling their wares under some thinly veiled loophole, Joe Gun Owner will damn well know what they're dealing with when they go through the NFA process to get a legit can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast