Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Somewhat dumb question

OK, heres whats going on..

I have a Mossberg 500 12ga that I wanna cut down to <18" barrel + <26"OAL. More than likely the barrel will be just slightly longer than the required length to cycle the firearm. Front grip will be a modified(shortened/hacked) conventional shotgun grip - NOT a front pistol grip.

Its to resemble one of those Serbu 12ga AOW's with a PISTOL grip, not a shoulder stock.

Now I've seen shorty pump, SxS and other shotguns that were registered as a SBS, even though they had a pistol type grip.

Which is the safer or more legal route to go? AOW or SBS? or DD?

I know some of you think I may be nuts, but this item will be intended for personal protection and carried in a lawful manner. And yes, I've fired really short shotguns. I'm not intimidated by recoil or muzzleblast having fired everything from spitballs to 105mm howitzers.

Default Re: Somewhat dumb question

If you have the shotgun now, you can't turn it into an AOW, since it isn't a virgin receiver. Maybe if it left the factory with a pistol grip instead of a stock, but I'm not sure about that.

Beyond that, I don't really follow your question, regarding the "safer or more legal" route. As long as you file the Form 1 ahead of time, and wait until it's approved, you're "safe".

(Jefferson County)

It has happened in the past where certain shotguns were declared destructive devices after being registered as a AOW/SBS - thus having to re-register them..

I know all about waiting til the tax stamp is in hand..

The Mossberg I have in stock trim has a shoulder stock and 28" barrel. The barrel is also smoothbore, and will be after the fact too.

My intention would be to replace the shoulder stock with a pistol grip, and cut the barrel(and mag) down to about 5-8 inches.

I just wanna make sure I file for the appropriate item. ...I'm too pretty to go to jail. LOL

Why dont you get a Mariner or 590? with a pistol grip, your probably going to be pretty close to what you wanted. If you cut the mag tube on a 500, your cutting a round every 3 inch. Dont forget your starting with a 5 round capacity.. With a mariner or 590 your starting with 9 rounds.
    Here is what you would have:
    Type: Pump action shotgun
    Gauge: 12 (3" - 76 mm chamber)
    Barrel length: 500 mm (20 in) or 450 mm (18 in) is most common. others available.
    Magazine: underbarrel tube magazine, 9 (2 3/4" - 70mm) or 8 (3" - 76 mm) rounds in 20". Also 7 or less in shor barreled models.
    There is not much you could shorten it, remember you need some space to hold, and the stroke of the forend has to be available to eject the rounds.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Why dont you get a Mariner or 590? with a pistol grip, your probably going to be pretty close to what you wanted. If you cut the mag tube on a 500, your cutting a round every 3 inch. Dont forget your starting with a 5 round capacity.. With a mariner or 590 your starting with 9 rounds.
    Here is what you would have:
    Type: Pump action shotgun
    Gauge: 12 (3" - 76 mm chamber)
    Barrel length: 500 mm (20 in) or 450 mm (18 in) is most common. others available.
    Magazine: underbarrel tube magazine, 9 (2 3/4" - 70mm) or 8 (3" - 76 mm) rounds in 20". Also 7 or less in shor barreled models.
    There is not much you could shorten it, remember you need some space to hold, and the stroke of the forend has to be available to eject the rounds.
    I already have a 500 that I dont use for anything (prefer my hammered SxS for sporting).

Capacity: I'm looking at 2+1 with 2.75" shells. Maybe 3+1 using those 1.75" shells. I'm content with even 2+1 of the 1.75" shells from Aguila http://www.aguilaammo.com/minishells.htm

I'm talk'n really short shotgun for concealed carry use. Similar to below 6.5" barrel... The only thing I would have to finance would be the tax stamp. Machine shop access is free for me thanks to an uncle.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 22nd, 2010 at 06:07 PM.

Ok, tax stamps are as follows:

AOW: $5.00

SBS $200

The difference between the two if I am not mistaken is that an AOW can not be able to have a stock attatched to it. Meaning that if you can remove the pistol grip and fix a stock to it it's an SBS.

So to take an existing 500 and convert it the way you desire it will be an SBS, regardless of what type of grip you have.

So your looking at the machinests cost and the $200 for the tax stamp.

As long as the paperwork and work on the weapon is done correctly both are equally legal.

Personally, I'd go the route of the SBS with a folding stock, that's just me though.
    If you plan of carrying the thing, AOW is the way to go.

Price out all of the work including the $200 tax stamp and see what the total is, if the price is more than a currenty AOW registered weapon, you may just want to buy a completely new AOW. Check out Paladin Armory and GunsAmerica under Class 3 shotguns for prices of new gear as well as Serbu's websitehttp://serbu.com/

One of these days I want a 14" 870 with a folder, but it will probably never happen.

**never mind jsut read that you have a free shop, chop your 500 and have fun
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Erie County)

FYI - Those are the transfer tax stamps. It still costs $200 to make either one of them. (if i remember correctly)

So if your looking at making an AOW out of a pistol grip gun, don't take note of that $5. That is only for transferring.

(Jefferson County)

From what I'm reading here and elsewhere, I have to apply for a SBS since it was originally manufactured with a shoulder stock. The SBS is a catch-all, I can use both shoulder stock and/or pistol grip.

I knew about the build vs. transfer with the AOW's. ...just wasn't sure about converting an existing shotgun to an NFA firearm.

Thanks for you guy's input. ..was much appreciated!!

(Erie County)

I went on GunsAmerica; didn't realize they changed it.

You look at this one at all?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifie...976677505.aspx

Serbu's look nice, but for $800 I don't think so!

(Jefferson County)

Thats pretty nice!! Still kinda steep though figuring $390(gun) + $200(stamp) + $??? (dealer fees)

Locational and time at home logistics kinda makes buying one threw a NFA dealer a nightmare. I'm only home on weekends due to living a contractor's life, and I live in BFE.

I think I paid $60 for my Mossberg several years ago. It was used and abuse, but the guy kept the box and all the paperwork. Since I obtained it, it hasn't seen much better attention. ..truck gun, tractor gun, left out by the tree gun, etc. Now it sits in the corner collecting dust because I hunt with a hammered SxS. And truck gun duties fall upon my 1911 now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast