Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 Internal Lock

One of the things I do before buying a new pistol as part of my research is download the manual and read it. I did this recently for the Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec.

Actually the manual is for all of their 1911 pistols.

http://people.cs.clemson.edu/~westal...gfield_1911.pd

I noticed a section about a internal lock.

I've never seen this listed before as a "feature" on their site or any vendors sites.

Is this really on all of their 1911 firearms or just ones sold in states that require them?

I absolutely hate this "safety feature" and refuse to by any firearm that has it. I feel it only exists to make anti politicians feel good about doing something to prevent "gun violence". In reality anyone responsible enough to use such a feature would already use a external lock or some sort of locking cabinet or safe. Those who would not are not going to use the internal lock. So its only real function is to add extra cost, complexity and an additional failure point to the firearm.

I'm hoping that because the manual is so generic that its only for those models and SKU's that have this "feature". But if they all have it then the Springfield 1911 is officially off my list.
    Last edited by QuackXP; August 9th, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Erie County)

Default Re: Springfield Mis-Spec 1911 Internal Lock

You live in PA. Not required.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I think all of them have it. There's one on my Springfield Loaded. I just ignore it - never tried it, not even sure where the keys are.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    You live in PA. Not required.
    I know its not required. But if they don't make one without it for free states then I will not buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I think all of them have it. There's one on my Springfield Loaded. I just ignore it - never tried it, not even sure where the keys are.
    If your correct then Springfield just lost a customer.

Default Re: Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 Internal Lock

I'm kinda indifferent about the lock, personally. If it isn't a gun that's going to be used as a PD weapon (safe queen), then making it where someone else can't use it while it's being stored isn't the end of the world. I'm not going to let the anti's deter me...I'll just leave it in the unlocked position. If you're worried the lock will fail, somehow, well; that isn't likely.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I'm kinda indifferent about the lock, personally. If it isn't a gun that's going to be used as a PD weapon (safe queen), then making it where someone else can't use it while it's being stored isn't the end of the world. I'm not going to let the anti's deter me...I'll just leave it in the unlocked position. If you're worried the lock will fail, somehow, well; that isn't likely.
    This actually will be a safe queen. But its the principal of the matter for me. If they are going to force this on all of us to appease a few states I will not buy that firearm. Now I'm not going to boycott the whole company. But there are plenty of 1911's out there to choose from and I will buy elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    This actually will be a safe queen. But its the principal of the matter for me. If they are going to force this on all of us to appease a few states I will not buy that firearm. Now I'm not going to boycott the whole company. But there are plenty of 1911's out there to choose from and I will buy elsewhere.
    Another poster says it isn't required in PA. Why not just replace the MSH with one with no ILS?
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

I also have a Springfield Mil-Spec, excellent pistol. I also "HATE" the lock,so

what I did is just replaced it with a Wilson Combat MSH, very easy to do. No

more lock.

(Delaware County)

My TRP had one, I replaced that MSH with an arched one. My Professional does not have one. My Leatham Legend TGO 1 does not have one.

I would not sacrifice buying a great pistol with a lifetime warranty for one item that is easily replaced. You'll notice that the manual also gives instructions on how to remove the MSH, should you want to ditch that "feature".
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Lehigh County)

I, like the others, have a loaded Springfield. It also has the lock system. You can barely even notice where that key goes, just 2 little dots. I have never used mine so it really doesn't bother me. This is also my carry and one of my favorite pistols. If you are that concerned. You can always swap it out. They are very reliable, look great, have some great features, personally, I wouldn't have the ILS make the decision for me, but if it bothers you that much, do not purchase the firearm.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast