Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default M57 Tokarev first shoot - Magazine issue

Took the M57 Tokarev to the range for the first time today. After the last round out of both mags the slide stuck and the magazine wouldn't drop. I had to strip the gun to get the mag out. Turns out the follower was skipping over the slide release catch on the last round. Once that happened the mag wouldn't drop (the slide release being under the follower wouldn't let it drop). I took a set of needle nose and slightly bent the tab on the follower (the tab that catches the slide release) out to better engage the slide release. Ran a couple mags through it after that with no issues. Even with the combat sights I held a 1 3/4" group at 25 ft emptying the mag in about 7 or 8 seconds (I don't think that was too bad for the first time with a new gun). The gun has a nice factory safety with hammer block (versus some of the crap add ons I have seen). I may try carrying this after I have some more range time and get a little smoother flipping off the safety. Overall I am pleased with the gun and its' accuracy. I will probably put some fluorescent paint dots on the sights to make them easier to pick up.

III% - Stand and be counted

(Bucks County)

Default Re: M57 Tokarev first shoot - Magazine issue

You have great pistol there and nice piece of Cold War history.

Have several myself and they are actually some of the most accurate pistols I own.

Though done at the factory (unlike the Romanian version import junk safeties), the M57 safeties are still technically an afterthought to the design.

The half-cock "safety" was all the Commies intended.

Of course none of these safeties are as reliable as most modern guns. But with proper knowledge and handling this gun can have a place in concealed carry options.

(Of course you could always Israeli-carry if you are concerned. But this too has it's limitations and risks.)

Gotta love the 7.62x 25 caliber. A superior small and fast pistol round. Still pat myself on the back for securing plenty when it went for seven cents a round...

Wolf Gold also makes a decent hollow point.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. J View Post
    You have great pistol there and nice piece of Cold War history.

Have several myself and they are actually some of the most accurate pistols I own.

Though done at the factory (unlike the Romanian version import junk safeties), the M57 safeties are still technically an afterthought to the design.

The half-cock "safety" was all the Commies intended.

Of course none of these safeties are as reliable as most modern guns. But with proper knowledge and handling this gun can have a place in concealed carry options.

(Of course you could always Israeli-carry if you are concerned. But this too has it's limitations and risks.)

Gotta love the 7.62x 25 caliber. A superior small and fast pistol round. Still pat myself on the back for securing plenty when it went for seven cents a round...

Wolf Gold also makes a decent hollow point.
    The Yugo M57 doesn't have a half-cock (wish it did). I carry my Bersa +1 but it has a nice long DA trigger pull. Since the saftey looks well made (and provides a hammer block) I will most likely carry condition 2. I do not forsee a condition one carry with this gun. I picked up 200 FMJ rounds of new PPU at SGAmmo for $19.00 per 50. All the milsurp I saw was actually more expensive than the new stuff. After searching high and low for JHP I gave up and got some on Gunbroker for a ridiculous price for two boxes. When I get it ill run one box through to make sure there are no feed issues and save the rest for carry loads.
    Last edited by Rblakely; August 9th, 2013 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rblakely View Post
    The Yugo M57 doesn't have a half-cock (wish it did). I carry my Bersa +1 but it has a nice long DA trigger pull. Since the saftey looks well made (and provides a hammer block) I will most likely carry condition 2. I do not forsee a condition one carry with this gun. I picked up 200 FMJ rounds of new PPU at SGAmmo for $19.00 per 50. All the milsurp I saw was actually more expensive than the new stuff. After searching high and low for JHP I gave up and got some on Gunbroker for a ridiculous price for two boxes. When I get it ill run one box through to make sure there are no feed issues and save the rest for carry loads.
    No Half-Cock? -- I know the TT33's do, It's essentially a copy of the 1903/1911 Colt/Browning Design, they had Half-cocks, So maybe there's something wrong with yours, something worn out or broke. But then again, The Yugoslavians liked to take the Commie guns and make it their own, So dumb question, But have you confirmed that with other M57 owners? It just seems odd they wouldn't include a half cock notch.

Found this on the Web - "M57 pistol is short recoil operated, locked breech pistol that uses browning type action with swinging link. trigger is of single action type, but pistol has no manual safeties except for a half-cock notch on the hammer. Magazine is single stack. Sights are fixed."

Think you need to order some parts.

10-4 on that cheap ammo Doc J -- I still have a few cases left, cheap practice ammo.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
    No Half-Cock? -- I know the TT33's do, It's essentially a copy of the 1903/1911 Colt/Browning Design, they had Half-cocks, So maybe there's something wrong with yours, something worn out or broke. But then again, The Yugoslavians liked to take the Commie guns and make it their own, So dumb question, But have you confirmed that with other M57 owners? It just seems odd they wouldn't include a half cock notch.

Found this on the Web - "M57 pistol is short recoil operated, locked breech pistol that uses browning type action with swinging link. trigger is of single action type, but pistol has no manual safeties except for a half-cock notch on the hammer. Magazine is single stack. Sights are fixed."

Think you need to order some parts.

10-4 on that cheap ammo Doc J -- I still have a few cases left, cheap practice ammo.

TJB
    I thought it should have one but confirmed it doesnt. The range I go to has two of them for sale. Zastava M57's (new like mine with the safety on the slide). No half cock. I guess when they started putting the safeties on the slide they dropped the half cock.

(York County)

Serious muzzle flash

(York County)

Just got this email from J&G in reply to my half cock inquiry

Sir, the half cock feature has indeed been eliminated in these new production M57 pistols. Just to be certain though we inspected a number of them and no half cock found on any of them. If problems persist or you have any other questions please call us and speak with our returns department. They can assist with function or return process questions.

Best Regards,
    J&G Sales

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rblakely View Post
    Just got this email from J&G in reply to my half cock inquiry
    Early production Yugo M57 pistols had the 1/2 safety the thumb safety was located in the frame.

As J&G mentioned the "New" production Yugo M57s do not have the 1/2 cock safety and the thumb safety is located in the slide.

Last edited by edritchey; August 13th, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
    Every day's a Saturday

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by G=C800:5 View Post
    Early production Yugo M57 pistols had the 1/2 safety the thumb safety was located in the frame.

As J&G mentioned the "New" production Yugo M57s do not have the 1/2 cock safety and the thumb safety is located in the slide .
    Yep, the top one is like mine. The safety seems very well made. Positive engagement and definitive hammer block. I picked up a Galco 1911 holster that it fits in well and have been carrying it for a few days (condition 2) with JHP. Although my usual carry is a Bersa .380 this gun is comfortable and conceals well (it is pretty thin). I'm not sure yet if it will stay in permanent carry rotation but looks good so far.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I used a dash of my daughter's pink nail polish for the front site. Zestava also makes the m70a in 9mm that looks just like the new m57. I thought the new m57 had a half-cock (which actually is more of a quarter-cock). I'll have to check mine when I get home. Shooting it was a bit of an adjustment for me, but I've been quite used to glocks up to that point. Even in the days of scarce and expensive ammunition, it still does take a bit of ammo to get a good feel for a gun.
    Last edited by father-of-five; August 13th, 2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: added info.
    ...and they have a plan...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast