Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default My Colt Python search ends

After patiently waiting many years i have finally acquired my grail, a Colt Python. i personally gave up all hope of ever owning what many consider the greatest production double action revolver ever made and i can say with confidence that it was worth the wait!

my particular gun was produced in 1963 and is serial number 267XX. according to it's previous owner, Tom, It was a duty pistol carried by his father for 35 years as a Reno NV police officer. His father retired as a Capt. and also rode motorcycles in traffic. Tom was taught to shoot with this gun and shared one particular story when the firearm saved his fathers life while on duty against a man attempting to run him over.

My first experience with shooting a handgun was when i'd asked a friend if his dad could take us shooting and told him i really wanted to fire a .357 magnum. His dad couldn't make it with us so he sent us with a couple of his personal guns to the range. being inexperienced we had to wait for a range master to become available to help us. we opened the case and the range master's reaction was "do you guys know what you have there?" i replied sort of sarcastically, a gun? "that is a stainless 6 inch colt python that i've only read about. hey johnnie, you gotta come see this" We let the gentlemen look it over for a bit before we were given a short lesson on safety, and we were ready to fire. i knew something was magical about this gun and when i got home i spent hours/days researching the python and have been hooked since. To further my lust i returned to the range less than a week later and rented a ruger GP100, the experience was nothing like shooting the python and after shooting just 42 rounds i could barely make a fist. the ruger just did not fit my hand so i knew a python must be mine.

From the time i started shooting and lusting for a python i have only ever come across 2 in person and both were well outside of my price range. i have owned some wonderful handguns over the years such as a colt anaconda in 4" .45LC, a much rarer DA with only 500 produced but i eventually sold it because hey, it would never be a python.

a few months back i traded my colt 1911 full size for a colt defender. a couple weeks ago i happened to be checking out the colt forum for some defender grips and came across an ad for a person wanting to trade their python for a defender. after some back and forth PMs a deal was struck and the python was on it's way from Oregon to phila, finally my grail was coming home. It feels like finally owning a '57 chevy after losing your virginity in the back seat and never seeing one again... ok maybe that's a little over the top.

here she is pictured with the original grips and duty holster. the coin was given to me by a philadelphia police detective and friend who recently passed away. the aviators just seemed appropriate:

the bluing, though honestly worn is incredible:

i took a few years off from shooting due to the ammo shortage and erratic prices so i am definitely not where i want to be as far as skill. those shots were fired offhand at 12 yards with .357 and i must admit the recoil was massive compared to the .22 i've become familiar with (que madonna, like a virgin lol

the only thing i plan to change is the front sight, eventually.

i did have to take off the original grips to shoot since they developed a crack and were refinished many times so i put on some hogue's which didn't seem good enough to photograph her with. you wouldn't photograph a sexy woman all dressed up wearing some comfy nurse shoes.

well, there she is. i hope you've enjoyed and feel free to share your own python stories.
    thanks.
    Smoke-Wagon
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Warren County)

Thumbs up Re: My Colt Python search ends

Nice Python and even nicer with the story attached to it. Thanks for sharing! Python's are one of my weaknesses, enjoy yours as I definitely enjoy mine!
    Tim , USAF Ret.

Default Re: My Colt Python search ends

Very nice, but you'd think the guy would have wanted to keep it knowing its history or pass it down to someone in his family, if there was anyone.

(Allegheny County)

Nice! My very first handgun was a Colt Diamondback. That was back in the early 70's. No other handgun feels as nice as those Colts!

index.jpg
    Toujours prêt

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Very nice, but you'd think the guy would have wanted to keep it knowing its history or pass it down to someone in his family, if there was anyone.
    I thought the same but the gentleman said it sat in his safe since his father passed, he preferred .45acp and needed a good carry pistol. I just happened to have exactly what he needed and was in the right place and time. He did have a pm before I got to the post so I knew I was late and had competition.
    After a few PMs I promised the gentleman that the pistol would not be sold,always cherished and passed to my children. I fully intend to keep this promise.
    I admit I was a little wary at first judging by the difference in value between the pistols but to me the python is priceless and I saw 3 defenders in 2 shops just yesterday.

(Monroe County)

Beautiful weapon. I've never owned a revolver, always wanted one though. Next time I have the money, I may pick up a wheelgun.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Lehigh County)

Congrats on a beautiful revolver.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    Beautiful weapon. I've never owned a revolver, always wanted one though. Next time I have the money, I may pick up a wheelgun.
    Life is all about variety. I carry a glock but shoot revolvers for fun

That is a very fine pistol, hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it. It is my opinion that the Python is one of the best looking pistols ever produced, and they shoot just as well as they look. I've had the pleasure of shooting a 6" Python a decent amount, since my dad owns one, and while I do prefer the feel of a S&W DA slightly, the Colt fits my hand better than any revolver I've ever held. The 4" K frame is a close second, and more in my price range for now. Maybe some day I'll add a Colt DA to my collection...

(Northampton County)

I am glad that you finely got the opportunity to own a Colt Python. I bought a new 4in blue back in 1976 or 7 and had it until 2005. It was and is the finest handgun I ever owned. Enjoy yours and be safe.
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast