Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Wondering if this would be a good trade....

I have a guy that wants to trade guns with me but not sure if it's a good deal on my end or not. Any opinions?

I have a S&W sw9f with 5 mags (4 hold 17 rounds the other holds 10 rounds)

Here is all the information (paraphrased mostly) and pics he sent me about his gun:

Colt Det Spec
    shoots like a python
    it's a 1964
    "I'm a 59 year old handicapped guy don't really leave the house just want something different and this is a perfect pocket gun that is now a curio and relic like I said needs a reblue but with all the different finishes these days , It is a smooth shooter sweet trigger 6 rounds of 38 special I've had it and pocket carried it since I'm 21

I was going to add pics but it's not letting me, any suggestions?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Wondering if this would be a good trade....

think image is too big next post should have it

(Lehigh County)

Think it worked this time...
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Chester County)

From the pics it doesn't look like that revolver has been particularly well cared for.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tank50 View Post
    From the pics it doesn't look like that revolver has been particularly well cared for.
    I agree, I wouldn't trade. Why are you even considering? Do you have this particular gun on your "want list", is your current pistol a POS as well? or is just the "itch" for something different? As always, a trade that makes YOU happy is a good one, but it seems to me that you are selling yourself short.

Cb

(Philadelphia County)

i'm not familiar with the S&W but i did see a few detective specials and cobra snubbies yesterday, all looked great and the most expensive was $575.

that finish looks rough to say the least and i could imagine what the inside looks like. it does share characteristics as far as action with the python but the downside is, if you have problems with it you can only take it to a colt certified gunsmith (which is getting harder to find) or send it to colt themselves for around $100 just for the trip only to find out they don't have the parts.

if you want a detective spec, cobra or other colt snub D frame i'd wait a little longer till something better comes along.

i wouldn't judge you for trading tho, colts are my weakness.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Lehigh County)

The reason I was looking at doing the trade was because I'm looking for a good carry revolver. I was hesitant about it but read some good reviews on the colt but after seeing the pics was even more hesitant. Based on the replies though I think I'm gonna pass on the trade. Even a good gun if it wasn't cared for properly will end up being a bad gun.

(Bucks County)

IMO, you're both guns mentioned are not worth getting too worked up over. I am a Smith guy, revolvers mainly. Older Smiths, to me, are top notch and are far better than any Colt Detective. As for the python reference, they don't do it for me either. I'd much rather have a S&W model 27, and do.

If I would ever have an issue, Smith-Wesson themselves would repair, free-of-charge in many cases. Colts are WAY overhyped, mainly because they don't do revolvers anymore, and put out there as somehow magical. They're ugly, improportionate(?), look like a Ruger Security Six with a stupid vented rib. If offered to me at a price I thought I could turn a profit on, I would buy one, but have no interest for myself. All this is my opinion and some won't like it, but there it is.

(Philadelphia County)

I don't want to turn this into a brand war but I'm also interested in a small carry revolver and i might choose a colt.
    For me, they just fit. I've owned and shot many smiths and the cylinder latch always beat the heck out of my thumb and even drew blood a few times, I have never had this problem with colts and my medium sized hands. Also carrying 6 compared to five in a comparable frame size makes sense but then again i could always step up to the model 66.
    I do own both a performance center smith and a 60s python and the fit/lock up are incomparable, the python locks up with its signature "bank vault" and the smith has noticible movement with the trigger held in the fired position. The smiths barrel/cylinder gap is judged by a credit card, the python would have a hard time fitting a piece of loose leaf. I did have a 29-2 at one point that could've been a better comparison to the python but they don't make them like that 29-2 anymore either.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Bucks County)

S&W cylinder latch drew blood? man, u must have some soft hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast