Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Substitutions

(Westmoreland County)

Default Substitutions

I believe at one time Mid-south shooters automatically offered Substitutions for out of stock items. Monday I ordered a Lyman H&I die and top punch for a new bullet I will be casting, I saw no mention of a substitute for the Lyman Die or top punch. I back ordered the Lyman. I have used both RCBS and Lyman Dies and punches in my Lyman 1400 in the past. A guy on another forum suggested I double-check the statues of the RCBS items to use in place of the Lyman. Sure enough the RCBS Die and punch were in stock. The last Lyman Die and punch I back order from Mid-South took 6 weeks. The lady at Mid-south told me when I called to change the order I should have it in 3 to 5 days.

(Clarion County)

Default Re: Substitutions

Just an observation about different makes of sizing dies. I utilize an older Lyman 50 and although both RCBS and Lyman dies will do the job I get a bit of leakage around the top of the die body in the RCBS. The pic shows a slight difference in the gasket at the top of the die. Form left to right, RCBS, older Lyman and the H&I. There are modifications to the press that have been suggested but it really has never been that much of a problem.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Westmoreland County)

Yes one of my dies I now use is an RCBS. I have not found it to be a problem myself, unless I use too much heat. I use White Label BAC special blend lube, I converted the receptacle to the lube heater to a rheostat. With this lube and this time of the year I do not need heat. The winter months a little heat is helpful, once I get the lube warm I set the rheostat back about a half turn. With the RCBS die I need to set it back another ¼ turn. The small amount of lube I loose I save for fluxing.

(Clarion County)

Yep, BAC is also my go to lube. They make good stuff. If you do any tumble lubing check out their version of Lee's allox called Xlox. I mounted my press on a thin metal plate and in winter set an old clothes iron on it to warm the whole sizer.
    Last edited by cephas; August 15th, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.