Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Rig?

(Allegheny County)

Default Shoulder Rig?

Does anyone carry often with a shoulder rig? I have always loved the look and the quick access characteristics of them but have never had the chance to try one out.

Are they uncomfortable? Are they easy to conceal under a cover garment (jacket, open button down shirt, etc...)

Basically, are they worth it?

Thanks!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Shoulder Rig?

I have not carried here in PA with a shoulder holster but I use to when I worked corrections back in WI. YES they are very comfortable, cover up extremely well and do allow for a fairly rapid deployement. Just make sure you get a good one as some of the ones out there are not well made and can cause poor removal of your handgun. IF you can go to a reputable gun store and try some on. I know most places wont let you do that but hey... you wouldnt buy a car if ya didnt take it for a test ride.

Good Luck

(Adams County)

I have a Galco-Miami Classic Shoulder System (Tan Leather) for a Glock 9x19.

Its excellent.
    I forget I have it on. It has two mag holder on the other side.
    In one I carry a folding knife and, at times, an extra mag in the other.
    If I remember correctly it was about $130.

~GOOD SHOPING~
    Bill------------------------------->
    NRA - LIFE / ENDOWMENT MEMBER
    LIFE MEMBER - VIETNAM VETERANS AMERICA
    U.S.NAVY SEAWOLVES - VIETNAM 69/70

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the advice... I think a shoulder rig will be a good addition to the family...

(Berks County)

I was thinking of getting one for when I go fishing and I wear chest waders.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Bill View Post
    I have a Galco-Miami Classic Shoulder System (Tan Leather) for a Glock 9x19.

Its excellent.
    I forget I have it on. It has two mag holder on the other side.
    In one I carry a folding knife and, at times, an extra mag in the other.
    If I remember correctly it was about $130.

~GOOD SHOPING~
    Bill------------------------------->
    I too have the Galco Miami Classic. Great set up and you can buy additional holsters for the shoulder rig.. I have a 2 mag holder and a 4 mag holder. The quality is excellent!

(Allegheny County)

The last ten years that I was in the insurance business I carried a Sig 226 in a shoulder rig. No one ever noticed it. Most of the time I didn't notice it either.

(Bucks County)

I've carried several different guns in a shoulder holster, mostly while hunting. I always carry a couple of spare mags or speedloaders on the other side.

All the ones I've tried have been nylon. Unkle Mike's and Ace Case are the best in my opinion because they have the most options for adjustment which makes them the most comfortable. Nylon shoulder rigs are not as durable as leather and I've had to replace mine every 3-5 years. However, they're considerably less expensive than leather.

One of these days I"m going to get a good leather shoulder rig. From what I've read, the Galco system seems to be the most popular.

(Lackawanna County)

I am 5'9" and weigh approx 250 lbs. Most of the excess weight is around my middle. I am not fat, but folks call me Big Guy at times. I have never found an IWB holster that was comfortable for any of my larger pistols. I can carry a .380 at four o-clock in the waist, but any thing else is uncomfortable. I have a few different shoulder rigs that I have purchased on eBay of all places. I am particularly fond of the DeSantis line. I have a few different rigs that I got brand new on ebay for around $35 each. My favorite in the New York Undercover rig.

The one thing I don't like about shoulder rigs is the in your face kind of attitude they project to the masses if you fore go the cover garment. With a pistol tucked into your waistband it is very easy to be discreet. Most folks don''t even notice. The few times I have removed my jacket and walked into a store have alway been cause for finger pointing and whispers. I also think the Po Po's have a tendency to think you are a wanna be when they see you in an uncovered shoulder rig. I still take my jacket off every once in a while when it is warm, however I am always aware of my surroundings and choose not to opem carry with a shoulder rig in places known to be troublesome. IE: grocery stores, the dreaded WalMart and the mall.

That I think is the only drawback to a shoulder harness, it just looks so Miami Vice to the Mr & Mrs. America

(Butler County)

I'm 6-1 and about 250 - 260 now I guess. I've used shoulder rigs when appropriate, for about 12 years now. Certain situations I thin kdo demand belt carry but the shoulder rig has a definite place in my opinion, especially when seated for long periods.
    I have a Galco Miami Classic for my G23, Kimber UCII and just found one for my P7M8. For my Colt Gov't I'd have to shift over to vertical carry and am not fond of that.
    I can usually cover it well with just a button up shirt, Hawaiin, bowling whatever. Buttons pop off just fine when needed!
    Just my .02 but there is a time and a place for a good one. I would strongly recommend tie downs though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast