Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default first focal plane scopes locally?

Im looking to demo a first focal plane optic locally to milford befre buying one. I dont need to shoot it I just want to check it out before spending the money ti see if I like it on low power or not. Since all the scopes im looking at have ffp and sfp options I want to make sure its worth the added cost of a ffp befre spending the money as ive never owned one. Does anyone know of any stores that stock them locally within an hour or so? Or maybe someone who has one kounted up and will let me take a look for a few minutes?
    Appreciate the help!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: first focal plane scopes locally?

ok now that im off my mobile device, I can explain why im looking a little better. I picked up a new Savage 10TR in 308 the other day and plan to hunt with it. Since the areas Id hunt are pretty heavy and will probably never shoot anything beyond 150 yards at a longest scenarioI didnt want to have a scope with a too high magnification at its lowest setting. I also have aspirations of actually getting out to where Id have to range targets and adjust dope etc on the range. Thats why im considering the first focal plane scope. I've read some people don't like a low power ffp scope though because the reticle is too large at a low power setting the scopes im looking at right now are:
    Vortex 2.5x10 ffp
    vortex 4-16 ffp
    and SWFA ss3-15 ffp.
    They also make a second focla plane version of each and they are considerably cheaper. If I can't get what I'd like out of a scope id use more often to hunt with then Id just take a second focal plane scope and be done with it.

(Luzerne County)

With all of the first focal plane scopes I have seen, the cross hairs increase size with the increase of scope power setting. It allows mil-dots to be callibrated at all scope power settings. The downfall is that as the power is increased the cross hair size is also increased and therefore will cover more of the target and make it more difficult to precisely place them. If range estamation it really needed, a good laser rangefinder will work out better...
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    With all of the first focal plane scopes I have seen, the cross hairs increase size with the increase of scope power setting. It allows mil-dots to be callibrated at all scope power settings. The downfall is that as the power is increased the cross hair size is also increased and therefore will cover more of the target and make it more difficult to precisely place them. If range estamation it really needed, a good laser rangefinder will work out better...
    and that is exactly why I want to try one before I drop 700 bucks or so on a scope. I would love to do a range finder too but that adds a few more hundred on.

(Pike County)

Go buy a bow and sit in a lawn chair in your yard....Just doe's only

(Lackawanna County)

I wouldn't even need a bow. I could probably stick one with a ka bar as close as they get. Couple more houses by me hit foreclosure I could even use a rifle.
    Im really only using the hunting thing as an excuse to buy more toys.

(Pike County)

Come over to my house I have a big ass buck that wanders through daily. Just walk up to him and punch his lights out.