Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Red face usually trouble-free 1911 gvt model 45fails?? WTH???

Went shooting recently with a guy who brought his well-used COLT gvt model 45 and several other guns. We had a good day right up til he tried to shoot his 45..no way.. 7 shots then it was jammed! Couldn't even get the mag out and couldn't be sure the round in the chamber was fired bks he wasn't counting.

I took a look at it and couldn't get the mag out either, but there was no stovepipe or anything seemingly wrong. Started to field-strip it but decided to take the left grip panel off..no help. Turned it over and took off the right grip panel..THen as I was taking it off I noticed the grip was installed upside down..thus blocking the magazine release from pushing OUT to the right!

He looked kinda odd at it then said he HAD taken off the grips last week "to really clean the thing, etc"..had put them back ON and racked the slide w/o a mag several times and put it away. I have been a shooter for decades and never seen this type jam, nor heard of it! Just a word to those of you who shoot gvt models(I love them)...MURPHY IS STILL AROUND!!!

Default Re: usually trouble-free 1911 gvt model 45fails?? WTH???

Sounds like the title should be 'owner fails to reinstall grip properly'. If you put a piston in upside down, the engine probably won't run right.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
    Went shooting recently with a guy who brought his well-used COLT gvt model 45 and several other guns. We had a good day right up til he tried to shoot his 45..no way.. 7 shots then it was jammed! Couldn't even get the mag out and couldn't be sure the round in the chamber was fired bks he wasn't counting.

I took a look at it and couldn't get the mag out either, but there was no stovepipe or anything seemingly wrong. Started to field-strip it but decided to take the left grip panel off..no help. Turned it over and took off the right grip panel..THen as I was taking it off I noticed the grip was installed upside down..thus blocking the magazine release from pushing OUT to the right!

He looked kinda odd at it then said he HAD taken off the grips last week "to really clean the thing, etc"..had put them back ON and racked the slide w/o a mag several times and put it away. I have been a shooter for decades and never seen this type jam, nor heard of it! Just a word to those of you who shoot gvt models(I love them)...MURPHY IS STILL AROUND!!!
    Th 1911 did not fail . your friend failed.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Th 1911 did not fail . your friend failed.
    Agreed. But...hey it happens.

(York County)

More of an example of how you shouldn't strip a gun down farther than your experience or familiarity allows. If that was his carry firearm, that mistake could have cost him his life....glad it occurred at the range and you were able to get it squared away.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

Red face Re: usually trouble-free 1911 gvt model 45fails?? WTH???

Hey, I put it out as a FWIW or FYI to us all! I don't think the guy planned to do this and thankfully it was not his carry gun. I have been a fan of .45 gvt models for years but have never seen this little boo boo made. I've always liked the fact that you can rack the slide and dry fire a GM w/o the mag in it, but this one thing is simply a reminder that Mr Murphy is still around!!!

(Allegheny County)

crap - never mind. re-read the post thoroughly
    Last edited by Grumpa72; August 7th, 2013 at 03:04 PM.