Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: [DISCUSSION] Forum Rules - I think we need them

So personally I am a libertarian and I am fine with no rules, but I try to be realistic. I would like to see the forum be a tool to hang on to the dwindling rights we have and be a way for people with interests in guns to share ideas, stories, data, etc. Both goals require that the forum have some set of rules that satisfy some common denominator.

I am all for the "suck it up and deal with it" philosophy for me, but I am old and wise enough to know that many people I want to associate with don't work that way. People will be turned of by profanity, flame wars, vulgarity, etc. I am prepared to see the forum set rules if it will keep the membership up and make this a place where both children and those with acute sensibilities can go to discuss 2A politics and guns.

I would recommend no vulgarity, no personal attacks, no pictures that could be considered inappropriate (a dead deer is OK, autopsy photos are not) (Osama bin laden with a bull’s-eye on his head is OK, ANYONE stateside is not). Keep reminding people of the rules and encourage people to police our own ranks with the rating system. Also, remind people that hackers can spoof this and any other board, so when something looks amiss, report it.

My long-winded point is, the forum is voluntary and it is there to serve a purpose. We are guests of Dan P. and it is only right that we follow the rules he sets. It is in Dan's interest to set the rules NOW, in a way he is comfortable with and can reasonably enforce, so that there is no confusion when an issue arises.

Cheers!

P.S. I speak from experience - sort of. I was the chair of the Pgh chapter of the Libertarian party way back when and a similar situation came up. We had a website/forum that we were pointing people to and right about the time that we were giving some presentations to people and trying to get local membership up, a flame ware, complete with WMD grade profanity broke out. I asked that the profanity stop and that the thread be dropped. Since there were no rules (we were libertarians after all) I had no authority to request that, which set off another round of insanity and ultimately I gave it up (there were other reasons to...). Anyway, it ruined a nice idea.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: [DISCUSSION] Forum Rules

good post broomhandle.

i tend to be an idealist myself, but when it comes down to it, i can certainly live with a reasonable degree of pragmatism...without it, we tend to not actually get anywhere.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234