Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Re: [DISCUSSION] Forum Rules

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    LOL, but I still know the words you are using. Sorry but using #$% does not remove the offensive nature
    What is it really that offends people to the point that they demand restricted speech?

Retard Vs. F---tard... Same meaning but some people only are taking offense when the F word is involved.

I say grow up and take your medicine like a man(or woman as the case may be) attacks are attacks no matter whether nice words are used or not. If they are personal and trule ad hominem then those posts should probably be moderated as a thread has past it's usefulness. However banning "strong" language is just silly.

I think we can be adults here, and end the whining about language. Because in the end whining about the language someone chooses to use is just another attack.

(Montgomery County)

I personally find the f word to be very versitile and useful I only removed the uck because I know others MIGHT be offended. Do I think they should be, no, but I'm not them. Like I said earlier, I wasn't offended.

(Berks County)

LOL, but I still know the words you are using. Sorry but using #$% does not remove the offensive nature
    You can't remove offensive nature, so why should we come up with some elaborate way to try? If someone wants to be a jerk, they're going to be no matter what we do about it.

I'd rather have someone look like a jerk in public, for all to see, and know what they're all about, than find some way or implement some rule to attempt to hide their stupidity and bad attitude.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    You can't remove offensive nature, so why should we come up with some elaborate way to try? If someone wants to be a jerk, they're going to be no matter what we do about it.

I'd rather have someone look like a jerk in public, for all to see, and know what they're all about, than find some way or implement some rule to attempt to hide their stupidity and bad attitude.
    +1
    comment added because my post was too short

(Montgomery County)

I think we all get the point, can we move on now?

If you're comfortable using the word, I could careless but there really are better ways to express yourself. Like I disagree or I don't think you're even remotely correct or I don't approve rather than F-off. I think it was the idea of the post. Saying hey we don't need to be worried about long thread or short threads or people putting rotflol or cracking harmless jokes. That basically would've wrapped up everything you posted in a nice way, and I agree with that sentiment.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post

Ok, if we had to vote on a post that pretty much sums it up, this would get mine.

(Philadelphia County)

For the record, I'm not for prohibiting profanity, or flames except in really extreme cases.

I think it's also fairly safe to say that everyone who participates in this forum is probably old enough where such profanity would not be something they haven't seen or heard a million times in their lives.

Policing any such policy would be increasingly difficult as well.

I just wanted to lay out the issues that were raised so everyone could discuss them. So far it appears that "no change" is the popular stance.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    I think we all get the point, can we move on now?
    Oh how I wish you did.

Well, actually SOME got the point so my efforts have not been completely wasted. Instead of Dan telling the offended to suck it up we are now considering limiting rules.

So for the OTHERS, here is the point. We can do this two way. Either keep the forum open as place for PA owners to meet, share information, debate topics, etc. OR we sanitize it so that we lose no members who may be offended. However we can't do both. You say that you could care less about the F word (which by the way is "fuck") but others are not as open as you.

So what do we do? We either ban the words or we don't. If we do, fine. But if not then the offended readers need to be informed to suck it up and move on.

You state that one of my messages should have been "posted in a nice way" hints that we need posting guidelines as to not offend. The other option is to let all members post their views without fear of two days of whining posts.

Guys, you can not have it both ways. I'm fine with either way Dan decides but I refuse to call the grass blue and the sky green. In other words, lets call a spade a spade and understand what we are talking about here. If we care, as some claim, about not offending some members or risk losing some members then strict limiting rules must be imposed.

However, if we care more about freedom than we do about being politically correct then lets stop the feel good dribble talk about posting topics in a nice way.

I hope some will see the method to my madness. Apologies to the rest.
    Last edited by phillyd2; January 7th, 2007 at 10:48 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Well, actually SOME got the point so my efforts have not been completely wasted. Instead of Dan telling the offended to suck it up we are now considering limiting rules.
    I'm all for telling people to suck it up, the current forum rules say that in giant bold letters.

The problem is if people have to "suck it up" too often because every thread on the forum is degenerating into stupid flame wars and insults.

I'm not saying this is happening, but it's been an issue this week and I'd rather discuss what to do before it becomes a larger problem.

If we let the forum get over run with crap like this it's going to become useless. No one wants to have to wade through flames and personal attacks between a few people while looking for important information.

I don't think it's quite as black and white.

I think we can easily allow un-pc talk but also recognize when it gets out of hand.

I think we can allow people to talk crap on each other but also recognize when someone just acts like a jerk most of the time and adds no value to the forum.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

here are my suggestions for rules:

1. no one is allowed to take themselves too seriously.

2. no one is allowed to take what other people say too seriously.

3. everyone is required to realize that (like CR said above) when some idiot posts idiotic stuff, it is a reflection on the idiot who posted it and not on the person to whom it was directed. the internet, like the world, is full of idiots...learn how to not give a shit.

4. if someone quotes you and changes the quote (which, i agree, is a low down thing to do), call them on it. expose them for the no good rotten liar they are to the rest of the forum.

5. this ain't kindergarden...there will be profanity. big deal...get over it. (i generally do not feel the need to use profanity...#3 above notwithstanding...but i certainly couldn't care less if anyone else does. i mean, does reading it make your eyes hurt or something?)

just my two cents.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast