Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Carbon County)

Default Re: Felon and a gun in the same household

I agree with amnesia . Offer to keep the gun at your house.

(Montgomery County)

1....the parole officer probably demands somewhere in the fine print that there are no firearms in the house.
    2....aside from the parole thing, any prohibited persons 'felons' can live with a gun in the house if they cannot get access to, or control. See constructive possession.

To be safest, he would have to have it in a locked container while transporting throughout the house, and keep it in a locked safe otherwise, of which the felons could not access or have knowledge of where the key was or combo.

When my brother lived with me for awhile, who is a felon, (a very nice one at that), i rented a climate controlled storage unit for 6 months b/c i didn't want any problems.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
    1....the parole officer probably demands somewhere in the fine print that there are no firearms in the house.
    2....aside from the parole thing, any prohibited persons 'felons' can live with a gun in the house if they cannot get access to, or control. See constructive possession.

To be safest, he would have to have it in a locked container while transporting throughout the house, and keep it in a locked safe otherwise, of which the felons could not access or have knowledge of where the key was or combo.

When my brother lived with me for awhile, who is a felon, (a very nice one at that), i rented a climate controlled storage unit for 6 months b/c i didn't want any problems.
    Thank you, you gave a great answer. (Everyone else did too! but Mr. Paine's gave me exactly what I wanted to know).

He's not going to buy the gun until his family member is off of parole which just leads to the subject of having two felons in the home. He would definitely buy a safe that no one can access. (I'll make sure of it.)

Thank you everyone!

(Montgomery County)

don't take our word for it. you must still look up the actual law; mostly because i don't feel like finding it. and most of the laws are written in English, and I speak American, so they're tough to read through.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
    don't take our word for it. you must still look up the actual law; mostly because i don't feel like finding it. and most of the laws are written in English, and I speak American, so they're tough to read through.
    I'm still going to have him call up the local department before he buys the handgun but your insight helps for now.

legal or not this sounds like a really...REALLY bad idea

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by djr5252 View Post
    I'm still going to have him call up the local department before he buys the handgun but your insight helps for now.
    Don't even waste your breath. Asking cops about gun laws is nearly useless as they'll just tell you their opinion and pass it off as law.

He can own a gun and keep it in a house full of felons as long as they do no have access to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12