Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Correctional officer

what kind of weapon do correctional officer use?
    friend of mine is appling for job as CO at local jail(Cornell Prison in Phillipsburg - I think its called Moshannon Valley Correctional Facility), and she was wondering what kind of weapon they use.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Correctional officer

If I'm not mistaken I think block guards only use tear gas oc spray and black jacks.

DC

(Centre County)

hummm I don't know. She said if she get hired, she have to pass qualify or test or something rather...

now that I think about it, it would make sense that block guards would not be armed with gun wouldn't it?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    what kind of weapon do correctional officer use?
    friend of mine is appling for job as CO at local jail(Cornell Prison in Phillipsburg - I think its called Moshannon Valley Correctional Facility), and she was wondering what kind of weapon they use.
    For a state correction institute (SCI) you qualify with a .38 revolver and 12 ga shotgun as part of your initial training. I'm not sure who carries these or when. I would assume tower guards get the long guns and prisoner transports get the firearm, possibly in a chase vehicle.

I'm hoping to have to qualify in the next couple months....
    I think the founding fathers meant exactly what they wrote: the government should not make any laws restricting the RIGHT of the people to 'hold or retain in one's possession' and 'hold or carry' guns and other weapons that would allow them to keep their government in line.

(Washington County)

Talking Re: Correctional officer

Pepper spray, for sure. Some facilities require officers to get sprayed in training. Beyond that, this is something your friend may really want to research. Qualifying with a weapon may not mean carrying it on a regular basis.

(Adams County)

Adams County Prison:

Regular COs don't regularly carry anything.

Luitenant: has OC

Transport team carry issued Glocks

SRT (Special Response Team) When in full riot gear carry stun shields (I forget what the call them), OC, Pepperball guns and some have stun guns. No tasers though. They only employ shotguns during a riot or perimeter security if the power fails. They have a host of LTL 12G rounds as well, but firearms never go into the cell block.

Yes you must be sprayed with OC, and from what I hear it happens fairly regularly while on duty too.

You must put the stun gun to your own leg for qualification and each renewal of Qual too.

No I don't work there.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

In Montgomery County outside gate and patrol carry Glock 19's, AR-15's and 870's. There are some mini 14's too. Other weapons are pepper spray and electronic stun devices.
    For the true Warrior the fear of dying in battle is never as great as the fear of being unworthy to enter into it.

(Carbon County)

CO 1 Here from SCI Mahanoy, our officers inside the gate don't carry anything but a whistle and a radio. OC is in Control and only brought out for issues, and that is rare. Usually if someone refuses to come out of there cell. We all qualify with the 38 revolver and the 870 shotgun. Our tower officer has a 223, (i forget what type, think it may be a Savage, bolt action), our perimeter patrol, (guy who drives around the outside of the fence, 24/7) has the 12 gauge and the 38. We qualified with the stun gun, (shock to the leg) and the stun shield. OC and pepper spray also. CERT usually carried the pepperball gun. Just like a paintball gun, just a smaller caliber I think. Our transport team usually has a 38, OC, and a cell phone. No weapons are allowed inside the gate. Our response teams usually consist of a group of guys in the turtle suits, riot gear, and batons. Our weapons only go into the compound when the SHTF. Other than that not much inside.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Centre County)

I met the guy who is CO at Rockview state prison at the range a while back.
    And i think he said that he had to qualify with .38sp or .357mag, which I assume was six shooter.

my friend wanted to know, because I have guns she can shoot. I figure my S&W model 65 with service grip would be the best bet for her to use...

(Luzerne County)

I have a buddy that just started a couple months ago. He said he qualified with a .38 and a Mossberg 12g. In the prison, they have no guns (baton/spray only or some such). The guys who drive the perimeter of the prison use the Mossbergs. He didn't know the tower setup, since he hasn't dealt with that.

So I don't know where the.38 fits into all that.

This is Luzerne Cty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast