Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default NJ CCW Permit Information

I'm trying to get a CCW in NJ - shut up.

I emailed Chris Christie, NJ, Governor, and his department forwarded my information to the NJ, State Police.

Weeks later now for the past couple of days the NJ State Police, have been attempting to call my cell. I couldn't answer, and my calls back were unsuccessful, but I did get an email from a Lieutenant, who's head of the licensing department.

In that email is the necessary steps for a none-resident to obtain a NJ, CCW Permit.

I wrote back thanking the Lt. for the contact, and I hope I have his confidence, and support down the road.

Below here are the steps for obtaining a NJ CCW:

Your e-mail inquiry to Chris Christie, Governor of the State of New Jersey, regarding your request for information on how to apply for a permit to carry a handgun has been forwarded to me for a response.

As per N.J.S. 2C:58-4c, as an out of state resident, you must apply to the New Jersey State Police. This must be done in person at the closest barracks to your geographic location. Below are the instructions on the application process:

Applying for a Permit to Carry a Handgun (The following instructions are the same for the
    initial and renewal application)

1. Complete a State of New Jersey Application For Permit To Carry A Handgun, form S. P. 642 (Rev. 02/09) in triplicate. All references must know the applicant for a minimum of three years prior to the date of the application.

2. All original copies must be notarized.

3. Submit four color passport size photographs with your application package.

4. Complete the Consent For Mental Health Search, form SP-66 (Rev. 11/07).

5. Submit in writing a justifiable reason / need for the issuance of a permit to carry a handgun. This must be detailed. Armored car guards shall obtain this from the C.E.O. of the company they are employed by. This shall also be notarized.

6. Written proof of qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying if your application is approved. This must be recent at the time of the application and must also be obtained from a certified firearms instructor.

7. A money order in the amount of $20.00 payable to, “Treasurer - State of New Jersey.”

8. All armored car guard applications shall be submitted to the appropriate New Jersey State Police Barracks. All others shall be submitted to the law enforcement agency where the applicant resides. If your town of residence is covered by a State Police barracks on a full time basis, submit to that barracks. If part time, submit to that municipal police department. All out of state applicants must submit to the closest New Jersey State Police Barracks (not to include New Jersey State Police Barracks located on toll roads) to where they are geographically located.

9. Submission of fingerprints is also required. Further information will be provided to you at the time of application submission.

For #4 - Consent For Mental Health Search, form SP-66 , and #6 - proof of qualification with the handgun. How would I go about doing these?

Default Re: NJ CCW Permit Information

Why waste your time? You will be denied and then be required to disclose on future permit applications that you have previously been denied a cwp.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by HUHwhat View Post
    1. Complete a State of New Jersey Application For Permit To Carry A Handgun, form S. P. 642 (Rev. 02/09) in triplicate.

I wonder what revision they made to the application in 2009. Did they add "ROFLMAO" in the margin at the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Why waste your time? You will be denied and then be required to disclose on future permit applications that you have previously been denied a cwp.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    I agree. Waste of time and money. Not to mention the aggravation factor in trying to comply with their demands.

But, I do wish HUHwhat luck in his quest.

(Bucks County)

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HUHwhat View Post
    I'm trying to get a CCW in NJ - shut up.

I emailed Chris Christie, NJ, Governor, and his department forwarded my information to the NJ, State Police.

Weeks later now for the past couple of days the NJ State Police, have been attempting to call my cell. I couldn't answer, and my calls back were unsuccessful, but I did get an email from a Lieutenant, who's head of the licensing department.

In that email is the necessary steps for a none-resident to obtain a NJ, CCW Permit.

I wrote back thanking the Lt. for the contact, and I hope I have his confidence, and support down the road.

Below here are the steps for obtaining a NJ CCW:

Your e-mail inquiry to Chris Christie, Governor of the State of New Jersey, regarding your request for information on how to apply for a permit to carry a handgun has been forwarded to me for a response.

As per N.J.S. 2C:58-4c, as an out of state resident, you must apply to the New Jersey State Police. This must be done in person at the closest barracks to your geographic location. Below are the instructions on the application process:

Applying for a Permit to Carry a Handgun (The following instructions are the same for the
    initial and renewal application)

1. Complete a State of New Jersey Application For Permit To Carry A Handgun, form S. P. 642 (Rev. 02/09) in triplicate. All references must know the applicant for a minimum of three years prior to the date of the application.

2. All original copies must be notarized.

3. Submit four color passport size photographs with your application package.

4. Complete the Consent For Mental Health Search, form SP-66 (Rev. 11/07).

5. Submit in writing a justifiable reason / need for the issuance of a permit to carry a handgun. This must be detailed. Armored car guards shall obtain this from the C.E.O. of the company they are employed by. This shall also be notarized.

6. Written proof of qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying if your application is approved. This must be recent at the time of the application and must also be obtained from a certified firearms instructor.

7. A money order in the amount of $20.00 payable to, “Treasurer - State of New Jersey.”

8. All armored car guard applications shall be submitted to the appropriate New Jersey State Police Barracks. All others shall be submitted to the law enforcement agency where the applicant resides. If your town of residence is covered by a State Police barracks on a full time basis, submit to that barracks. If part time, submit to that municipal police department. All out of state applicants must submit to the closest New Jersey State Police Barracks (not to include New Jersey State Police Barracks located on toll roads) to where they are geographically located.

9. Submission of fingerprints is also required. Further information will be provided to you at the time of application submission.

For #4 - Consent For Mental Health Search, form SP-66 , and #6 - proof of qualification with the handgun. How would I go about doing these?
    I don't know why people think it's such an onerous process to get an NJ CCW. The fee is only $20, just like PA.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Wow, they put it online. As if that is going to make the process of getting denied any faster or less onerous.

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    I don't know why people think it's such an onerous process to get an NJ CCW. The fee is only $20, just like PA.
    Is that $20 the only fee involved or just an initial fee?

(Carbon County)

Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

Re: #6, I'd imagine an NRA basic pistol certificate would probably fit the bill...I'll have to look up on their site if there's a specific course NJ makes you take. (EDIT: now that I think about it, I remember seeing it in the statutes on their site...I think you have to take a NJ-specific course that's like 16 hours or something crazy like that.)

OP: next time you communicate with the NJSP Lt., could you ask if a non-resident application must be approved by a judge the same way a resident application is? That's not clear to me. (My old police chief in NJ was willing to go to bat for me, but we both knew it still had to go before the judge...and that was a crapshoot in the county we were in.)
    Last edited by AJChenMPH; August 2nd, 2013 at 09:01 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast