Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best .45 Ammo

(Allegheny County)

Question Best .45 Ammo

Hello,

What is the best brand(s) of .45 ammo to use in a Glock 21 or 30?

(Washington County)

Default Re: Best .45 Ammo

Glocks usually eat everything you feed them. Brass cased or steel.

People have their preferences but when I see a good sale that's the brand I grab.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Montgomery County)

Short of shoving a handful of dirt in the shape of a round. It should work with any factory ammo out there..

And I am pretty sure it might even fire that dirt round.

Best? Are you looking to shoot bullseye type matches or practice and want a higher quality round? Or looking for the best self defense round?
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    Best? Are you looking to shoot bullseye type matches or practice and want a higher quality round? Or looking for the best self defense round?
    Looking at stocking up on both practice and self defense, so both...

(Montgomery County)

I haven't found a factory round yet that my G21 didn't work with.. How quickly it got dirty and then had issues cause of dirt did vary.

I can pretty much go about 2000 rounds before cleaning the internals of my Glocks, otherwise I just clean the barrel and 5 drops of oil for the parts that need it.

Reloads and Lead, I would be a little more cautious with.. Not because of leading and the glock warnings, but cause the different lead bullet profiles can cause issues feeding. Some will work in one gun and not in the same model for another person.

The only Self defense round I've used was Hornady Critical defense.. No issues with that.. I don't know about the other manufacturers, but I can't imagine it not running their rounds.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Lycoming County)

Steel case: Wolf, tul-ammo,blazer
    Brass case: Magtech, Federal american eagle, Winchester white box, PMC Bronze
    Defense: Hornady Critical defense

These are pretty much my favorite. If you don't plan on reloading the steel case stuff will work just fine in a glock and save you some $$$. I save my brass as I'm planning on getting a reloading setup going this fall so I mostly have been using American Eagle lately because it seems to be the most readily available. Defense loads are something that everyone has an opinion on I like the Hornady but really any quality JHP will do just fine in a glock as they are not picky.

(Mercer County)

I try to carry Speer Gold Dot in all of my defensive guns. It has a proven track record in law enforcement. Realistically, any modern hollow point in going to do the job.

For practice ammo, before I started reloading I shot a lot of Winchester White Box as well as the Russian ammunition.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Montgomery County)

Correction, Blazer ammo is aluminum cased. The biggest difference between Blazer and Tula is that the projectile of Blazer is either lead or copper jacketed while Tula uses a mild steel that has greater friction and thus wear. However, it does not mater much in pistol cartridges. This is just an FYI.

As for the best ammo, whatever you can get your hands on! Ammo is hard to come by these days, good luck finding any in reasonable quantities at reasonable prices...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

I used to be a little hard on Glocks because I never got one to shoot groups you read about in the tests, but I never used some of the ammo they used, either. When I tried some of my Stan Chen 1911 target ammo in an acquaintance's G21, I had to eat my words, a bit. We did a muzzle rest with it at 50 yds and were consistently getting 6 to 7" groups with the less than optimal sights that come on a G21. I thought that was pretty impressive for the clunker just off of a muzzle bag ( my acquaintance put a muzzle blast hole in my bag that day, to boot.).
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    I try to carry Speer Gold Dot in all of my defensive guns. It has a proven track record in law enforcement. Realistically, any modern hollow point in going to do the job.
    +1 on the Gold Dot. Remington Golden Sabre are pretty good too.

PS. Cabelas has the 230gr Gold Dot & Sabre in stock right now. They also have Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ in stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast