Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Hypothetical question about no-knock entry

Purely hypothetical question:

It's 2 in the morning and you and your wife are suddenly woken up by a loud crashing as your door is kicked in and people are stampeding through your downstairs yelling. Stunned and probably a little disoriented, you grab your bedside firearm and take up a defensive position at the top of the stairs. You see flashlights approaching, hear people yelling. You open fire, killing one or two, wounding one or two. In the midst of the confusion, you start hearing "Police, police, police!" etc etc etc. You surrender, are swarmed, cuffed, etc.

As your house is being ransacked, bodies bagged, injured taken to the hospital, the officer in charge realizes he made a big "oops." They were supposed to raid 160 NORTH Main Street, and here they are at 160 SOUTH Main Street, on the other end of town. You're completely innocent, the cops screwed up, and several of them are dead or wounded as a result.

Are you in deep sh!t, or will any capable lawyer get you off, plus get you a nice fat settlement for pain, suffering, mental anguish, etc?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Hypothetical question about no-knock entry

I don't know anything because I'm not a lawyer but I swear if you make me poke my monitor again with that damn bug you're buyin me a new monitor.. :-P
    ==============================
    ~Jester~

(Indiana County)

Police usually yell "Police! Warrant!" as soon as they breech the entryway. I do not know the PA laws, but it was my thinking that in general usually don't serve warrants at night either, unless they have a "nightcap" warrant. That might be old information, though.

(Philadelphia County)

You have the scenerio a little bit wrong.

You shoot a cop or two executing a no knock warrant, odds are very high that you will not survive the engagement. You won't need to worry about much. You might survive (people do), but not all that likely.

They won't just be bashing around your house waiting for you to pick them off at a choke point.

(Wayne County)

It is my opinion that if such a situation occurs, and you are firing on them, you will not need to worry about legalities and such...you will wind up in a body bag one way or another.

ETA- Philadelphia beat me to it but I see we have the same idea.

(Philadelphia County)

There are several cases like this already.

Most are dead as dead can be, the other dude is rotting in jail awaiting death penalty.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Berks County)

IMHO........even if they are in the wrong.....YOU will be found wrong. It won't matter what you say or do. They will stick up for each other. It has happened before and it will happen again.

You don't really think that the police will admit their mistake and carry their fallen coworkers home do you?

Like others have said........if this happens to you you will be lucky to be cuffed and dragged out of the house till it is all over. More likely than not you will be shot.......eventually......they are on average bad shots after all........

(Berks County)

Although I have to wonder.......shooting in a house WILL leave you unable to hear hardly at all after a few shots. How do you know you will even hear them identify themselves. You may just clear them all out before you understand what is going on.........

Try explaining that one..........

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    the other dude is rotting in jail awaiting death penalty.
    if you are talking about cory maye, his death sentence was overturned on appeal.

also, the police did have a search warrant for his side of the duplex, though he was not specifically named in the warrant...and i still can't figure out how they got a warrant for his side of the duplex since all the evidence seemed to only point to the other half of the duplex...which was a separate apartment with an unrelated tenant. many unanswered questions in that case.

and, imho, a situation which just never needed to happen in the first place...but i guess the debate over whether we should be fighting a war on pot is another question altogether.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; April 30th, 2008 at 04:25 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoCJester View Post
    I don't know anything because I'm not a lawyer but I swear if you make me poke my monitor again with that damn bug you're buyin me a new monitor.. :-P
    Dude! LMAO!!!!

I'm always thinking the same thing when I see it!
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast