Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jury Duty!

(Berks County)

Default Jury Duty!

I got my big manilla envelope yesterday in the mail. I get to report in Philthadelphia for Federal Jury Duty on June 2. If I lived 3.5 more miles away, the city would have even paid for me to stay in a local hotel.

This is my first time being summoned. Anything in particular that I should expect?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Jury Duty!

I sat on a federal jury, once, in Dallas (I was elected foreman!), but I think this still applies:

Expect to be treated better than the county jury service ever treated you, but not by the federal judge. The shenanigans that go on in federal court are no less disconcerting than in the county courts, and on a much grander scale. My experience was in Jerry Buckmeyer's court, and I left there feeling sick to my stomach about what took place. We had subsidized parking, a 90-minute lunch break, free coffee in the waiting room, with clean, close bathrooms and comfortable chairs and a television. The courtroom was breathtaking, and absolutely huge. Everyone we dealt with outside the courtroom was friendly, courteous, and helpful. The circus mostly takes place in the judge's chambers, before the trial ever begins. Judge Buckmeyer is the type that gives honest jurors a bad name.

It's just a sorry state of affairs. I hope you don't have to endure what I watched taking place.

Try to enjoy your "service". It's a fairly rare glimpse into the inner workings of the justice process. Maybe you'll get a good one.

(Berks County)

I am actually looking forward to it. What happened that shocked you so much?

(Philadelphia County)

Just don't forget about Jury Nullification.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Montgomery County)

Anything in particular that I should expect?
    Just bring a good book and maybe a bottle of water and a snack. At least bring a book. You will probably be bored to tears and the TV shows they have on completely suck.

(Westmoreland County)

I was supposed to go two years ago in Pittsburgh, but my supervisor called the day before and I got sent to New Jersey. They called me and weren't very happy with my company. The lady called me several times to confirm I was forced to go and the girl in the office was reamed a good one.
    the county jury duties i have done were very very boring, although i got a date out of one. million to one shot, have an attractive girlie sit next to you and she likes to talk i wish i did go on the federal stint, maybe next time. bring something to read other than a magazines or newspapers (they will take most of them).
    NRA Life

(Allegheny County)

They refuse to pick me anymore. Oh I get called in they just will not let me sit on a jury. I just got called in back in December for Allegheny County Criminal. Sat there for the day and read a book. I got picked once back in 1994 and they will never let me sit in on another criminal case. After that case I'm amazed I wasn't held for contempt of court. I basically told the Assistant DA and the Judge that they were totally incompetent and unqualified to hold their positions in this county. I had to waste three days sitting in that court room.
    Story of the trial was the Judge sat there for three days reading travel magazines. This was a murder trial involving gangs and a drive by shooting. Did they do it? Hell yes, I made a few calls and got information that the prosecution didn't even have on these two.
    Problem was the state had zero, and they thought if they made up a good enough story, the jury would be so stupid and racist we would convict them. Judge said she would have thrown the book at these two had it been a non jury trial.
    There were so many holes and inconsistencies no one would have convicted them. Examples, State said they were driving a Le mans all the witnesses said they were driving a Dynasty. State said they did the murder together yet no one could put both guys in the same car. One witness picked out one of the suspects in a line up. Funny she was over 70 years old. This women was at least 50 yards away and it happened 11:00 pm at night on a poorly lighted street. He supposedly had shoulder length dreadlocks yet she picked him out with a shaved head. No gun was even found to link them. Both kids were arrested with in eight hours and neither was found to have gunpowder residue on their hands or cloths.
    Last edited by ALS; April 30th, 2008 at 04:00 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Just don't forget about Jury Nullification.
    +1.

Jurors have the right to follow their conscience and refuse to convict a person accused of violating a law that is unjust as applied to the case at hand. In the words of Supreme Court Chief Justice John Jay,

It may not be amiss, here, Gentlemen, to remind you of the good old rule, that on questions of fact, it is the province of the jury, on questions of law, it is the province of the court to decide. But it must be observed that by the same law, which recognizes this reasonable distribution of jurisdiction, you have nevertheless a right to take upon yourselves to judge of both, and to determine the law as well as the fact in controversy. On this, and on every other occasion, however, we have no doubt, you will pay that respect, which is due to the opinion of the court: For, as on the one hand, it is presumed, that juries are the best judges of facts; it is, on the other hand, presumbable, that the court are the best judges of the law. But still both objects are lawfully, within your power of decision.
    (State Of Georgia v. Brailsford (1794))
    Unfortunately, courts have recently become hostile to jury nullification, and some will even dismiss potential jurors who acknowledge their right during voir dire.

(Berks County)

Jury nullification is certainly something I'm keeping mindful. That ought to make whatever case I get picked for interesting.

I hope I get something interesting, though. Murder trial or something. My luck, it'll be an insurance fraud thing.

(Northampton County)

If you get called for federal court and have to stay in that city for a day or so,can you check your gun in at the courthouse?You do not want to be in Philadelphia or another city with your gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast