Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: In a conundrum?

(Chester County)

Default In a conundrum?

So for the longest time I've been really wanting to do some major upgrades to my AR. I have a bushmaster XM-15. I purchased this rifle a long time ago before the past several years of heat on the AR started. I got a great price on it back in 06. Now I know many people say the shrubmasters aren't all to great except the older ones. I have my serial number documented and I am wondering what is the number (or date) when most people think bushmaster went down hill. I've feed my bushmaster an array of 556 and 223 and only ever had 1 failure to fire.

I've taken apart, upgraded, trigger jobs, action jobs, refinished, etc many of my lever actions and bolt actions. Now I really want to get into some customizing my AR. IF my AR is one of the ehhhh not so good bushmasters I would consider purchasing a 6920 and starting off my customized AR with a better quality AR. Or I'm also contemplating starting off with a Noveske (or another brand name) lower and going from there. Maybe something even higher quality. I am considering a carbine length rifle and possibly in a couple years a LR suppressed rifle.

I guess what I'm saying is. Is it worth the time, effort, and finances, to trick out a bushmaster. Or should I invest in a better platform to start with?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: In a conundrum?

IMO, I would just start from scratch by assembling your own. Prices on parts have dropped dramatically, and you sound like you could tackle the job with ease. Get what you want with little to no leftover parts that no one will want (ie A2 grips, A2 hand guards, pre-drilled A2 FSB).

Nothing wrong with the 6920 by any means. I don't drink the Colt-Aid, but it is a great, ready to go rifle. Edit: I'm not turning my nose up at Colt or owners. I would snag one if the price is right, but for over $1k, I'd rather assemble my own.

Consider a 16" barrel with mid-length gas system?
    Last edited by ViperHummel; July 31st, 2013 at 08:08 AM.

Are the bushmaster lowers bad? I wouldn't use their BCG or barrels, but if not, I'd just sell the upper and replace it with a CHF mid length 16" upper of choice with whatever goodies you want on it.

I second what ViperHummel said.
    Last edited by animalmother85; July 31st, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Wayne County)

What is the reason for upgrade and what is your budget? $700 PSA carbine can be as good as 1100$ colt. Also paying more for brand name like noveske is nuts IMHO. I rather build 2 ar instead of 1. Without losing sub moa at 100 yards.

(Chester County)

I kinda already had a gut feeling of building my own. Never actually built a rifle. I've only ever improved them. I can imagine a large sense of pride and accomplishment if I do build.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post

Consider a 16" barrel with mid-length gas system?
    That is what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by BB MBD View Post
    What is the reason for upgrade and what is your budget?
    I want to get the most out of my rifles. Doing my own work is like a hobby to me. Budget is not to much of a concern to me. I will be working on my rifle over time and time is on my side. The reason I just mentioned Noveske is simply because of quailty. I've done a some reading and they seem (IMO) to be a very reputable lower manufacturer. Not that they are the only one. I believe their are many reputable manufacturers in market. However, if you have any ideas or recommendation I would be more than willing to listen.

I do appreciate the input guys. Thanks!

(Lehigh County)

You never really "build" an AR, it's more like an erector set. You can mix and match at will. Even putting a lower together, it's just 2 pins and you are done. I have done countless ones and I really never built one. The upper, if you can read a torque wrench, your good to go. With the countless parts and videos available, putting one together gets easier every day. In fact, as I think about this, I only know 1 person who "built" one. He started with an block and did all his own machining.

Now doing a G3 (as I am doing now), a fal, or start with a 700 action, make your own stock, ect... that's doing a build, but not playing with an erector set.

I always thought the term 'build' when it comes to assembling an AR was kind of silly, too.

I'm not 100% sure if Noveske makes their lowers themselves...I could be wrong, but I do know quite a few companies contract them out, which isn't a bad thing as long as it's within spec/tolerance. I could care less who made it, as long as it wasn't an enemy of the state in which my funds would be funding their agenda. Luckily, not many of our adversaries make AR style lowers.

Noveske makes a ton of awesome shit. Their barrels (made by PacNor, to Noveske's specs) are very nice and accurate. I dig their rifling, which could be considered a modified polygonal rifling, which cuts down on engraving surface for larger 300 Blackout bullets.

My favorite lowers on the market as of right now are made by Mega Arms, and I'm referring to their billet ambi lowers. Solid construction, ambi bolt release, no BAD lever needed (also known as the negligent discharge under duress lever). At the current time, I think LWRC offers the only truly ambidextrous lower, but it comes at a premium and I'm not sure if you can just get the lower.

I have two rifles off of these lowers and have no issues.
    http://megaarms.com/ar-15/lower-rece...s/gtr-3h-ambi/

Seekins also offers a similar lower, also nice, but I don't have any experience with them in assembled form.

The sky is the limit on AR parts. There are so many good parts out there and coming out, it can be hard to keep up.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Chester County)

Yeah. I understand what your saying animal.

Guess my gut might be right. Starting off fresh. I am not huge in the AR world. That is not to be mistaken though on my understanding of the rifle. Figured either spruce up the shrub or "assemble" a new AR one.

Might as well just build/assemble an AR like you want.

For a lower Noveske has quality stuff no doubt. However there are a lot of great lowers out there many of which are machined by some of the same people.

I think the Noveske forged flared lower is awsomeness. I just dig magwells with a big flare.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/NVN4-FFL-CHAINSAW.aspx

(Wayne County)

If money is not a problem go with .308 for a long range AR. 5.56 not long range round.

If money is not a problem get knight armament or HK. Mr556a1 would be my choice.

From HK manual.
    “Like the famous HK416, the MR556A1 uses a German-made barrel produced by Heckler and Koch’s famous cold hammer forging process. The highest quality steel is used in this unique manufacturing process producing a barrel that provides superior accuracy and long service life.

But unlike the HK416, the MR556A1 does not use a chrome-lined barrel. Chrome-lining can sometimes mask bore imperfections and negatively affect accuracy. For the new series of Heckler and Koch semi-automatic MR rifles, HK designers and engineers believe best accuracy comes with an unlined bore.”

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast