Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: OCing at Bill Batemans Bad Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Are there any bars in York County?
    Red Lion Tavern? Depends on which way you look at it I suppose.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by IROCZ View Post
    You don't feel safer when your carrying a gun???
    I also dont understand how you dont feel safer with a gun. I carry a gun for a few reasons and I thought about all of them before I started carrying. 1. I want to have the ability to protect myself and those around me. (Family, Friends, ect.) 2. I want people to ask me questions if Im open carrying because I want them to know their rights so they can be more knowledgeable people. 3. I love America and the rights that our forefathers gave us when they developed this great country. So I will continue to use and exercise my rights as long as possible.

So weather or not I open or conceal at a bar is a good idea or not,(we could go on that debate for days, as shown in this thread.) I just wanted to share my experience and ask what could have been done differently after the fact not before.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by RainingLead View Post
    I also dont understand how you dont feel safer with a gun. I carry a gun for a few reasons and I thought about all of them before I started carrying. 1. I want to have the ability to protect myself and those around me. (Family, Friends, ect.) 2. I want people to ask me questions if Im open carrying because I want them to know their rights so they can be more knowledgeable people. 3. I love America and the rights that our forefathers gave us when they developed this great country. So I will continue to use and exercise my rights as long as possible.

So weather or not I open or conceal at a bar is a good idea or not,(we could go on that debate for days, as shown in this thread.) I just wanted to share my experience and ask what could have been done differently after the fact not before.
    Having some sort of defensive tool does give some sort of security in that if you are faced with a terrible situation you have more than just your hands and voice to solve it. I don't know if it makes me feel safer, especially since my is concealed so people just generally have no idea, but it does give peace of mind that I won't be totally helpless if someone wants to kill me.

(York County)

Safety (or 'safe') is not a feeling, it is a function of preparation. You have either made preparations to be as reasonably safe as you can be, or you have not. There is a time and a place for feelings, and analyzing your preparations is a time best spent rationally evaluating your assets and liabilities.

I have seen sufficient evidence to convince me that my open carry is rather likely to prevent certain attacks. On the off chance that it does not, I have the option of deploying damn-near the ultimate in personal self-defense, a handgun. Provided my OC spray, pocket knife, blunt striking object (fist-held flashlight), and fists/feet prove insufficient. Given my age, arthritis, and relatively poor physical shape, I am not counting on these less-than-lethal items to ward-off a determined attack.

In our home, my fire extinguishers and smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are not installed to prevent a fire or poisoning, they are installed to assist me in surviving such an occurrence. Same with lap/shoulder belts, front and side airbags. When am carrying my 1911, most often OC, I don't feel safer, I am safer, but only to the extent of my preparations in any given scenario.

Preparation. And I am just that much safer. My .02, YMMV.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Safety (or 'safe') is not a feeling, it is a function of preparation. You have either made preparations to be as reasonably safe as you can be, or you have not. There is a time and a place for feelings, and analyzing your preparations is a time best spent rationally evaluating your assets and liabilities.

I have seen sufficient evidence to convince me that my open carry is rather likely to prevent certain attacks. On the off chance that it does not, I have the option of deploying damn-near the ultimate in personal self-defense, a handgun. Provided my OC spray, pocket knife, blunt striking object (fist-held flashlight), and fists/feet prove insufficient. Given my age, arthritis, and relatively poor physical shape, I am not counting on these less-than-lethal items to ward-off a determined attack.

In our home, my fire extinguishers and smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are not installed to prevent a fire or poisoning, they are installed to assist me in surviving such an occurrence. Same with lap/shoulder belts, front and side airbags. When am carrying my 1911, most often OC, I don't feel safer, I am safer, but only to the extent of my preparations in any given scenario.

Preparation. And I am just that much safer. My .02, YMMV.
    That makes sense.

(Chester County)

If you are drinking alcohol and carrying a firearm I will avoid you like you have Typhoid. Drinking alcohol and carrying a firearm is not responsible behavior. Sorry if you feel differently. I used to drink and when I did the firearms were not part of the equation. Just let me know if your around with gun after drinking alcohol, I'll exit the situation. I consider you are a danger to me.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lancaster County)

That seems harsh. A beer or two with dinner is different than clubbing with the boys or girls.

(Chester County)

I don't believe that is harsh, I believe that is responsible firearms handling. If you walk out of that bar and you are going to your car or walking down the street to go home and get into a conflict and that firearm is discharged in self defense or because you mishandled that firearm and someone is injured or killed, the district attorney or the other person/s attorney will automatically without blinking an eye, point out that you had just left the bar. They will then interview the bar tender, waitress or other patrons and will show that your judgment is suspect because of the consumption of alcohol. I am not attorney but if I was suing you because you shot a family member that would be the first thing my lawyer would bring up.

As we have discussed on these pages many times about negligent or accidental discharge of your firearm, it can happen when you are not giving 100 percent attention to the safe handling of that firearm. If that type of discharge happens just after you leave a bar or restaurant after consuming alcohol you put yourself into an avoidable precarious position.

I'm not against drinking, have at it, have one on me. Just let me know if you are carrying after you do that "consumin' out there", I'm outta there.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    If you are drinking alcohol and carrying a firearm I will avoid you like you have Typhoid. Drinking alcohol and carrying a firearm is not responsible behavior. Sorry if you feel differently. I used to drink and when I did the firearms were not part of the equation. Just let me know if your around with gun after drinking alcohol, I'll exit the situation. I consider you are a danger to me.
    I would 2nd G on this one!
    "343" Never Forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    I don't believe that is harsh, I believe that is responsible firearms handling. If you walk out of that bar and you are going to your car or walking down the street to go home and get into a conflict and that firearm is discharged in self defense or because you mishandled that firearm and someone is injured or killed, the district attorney or the other person/s attorney will automatically without blinking an eye, point out that you had just left the bar. They will then interview the bar tender, waitress or other patrons and will show that your judgment is suspect because of the consumption of alcohol. I am not attorney but if I was suing you because you shot a family member that would be the first thing my lawyer would bring up.

As we have discussed on these pages many times about negligent or accidental discharge of your firearm, it can happen when you are not giving 100 percent attention to the safe handling of that firearm. If that type of discharge happens just after you leave a bar or restaurant after consuming alcohol you put yourself into an avoidable precarious position.

I'm not against drinking, have at it, have one on me. Just let me know if you are carrying after you do that "consumin' out there", I'm outta there.
    So do you feel that it is not responsible car handling to drive after having 1 or 2 drinks at dinner and still well below the legal limit? This is a genuine question as I am interested in your viewpoint.
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast