Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: OCing at Bill Batemans Bad Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Kabloosh View Post
    Isn't that the whole purpose of carrying a gun? As long as you drink responsibly you should be fine. If you are there to get plastered then drive home let alone carry a gun you shouldn't havea gun or a drivers license for that matter. You probably won't have either with such reckless behavior soon enough anyways.

I generally walk home when I am out, and I almost got attacked by an random stranger(I ran back and kept my distance and talked the guy down) who was drunk as all get up and thought I was someone I am not. So unless you have a wingman I wouldn't go out drinking to the point where you don't feel comfortable driving or carrying a gun.

I'm not saying a gun needs to be drawn for every for every confrontation to solve the issue. But a self defense situation is a confrontation you simply cannot avoid or deesculate, and you run the risk of being severely injured or killed.
    He never said anything about carrying a gun. He said it could increase the chances of a dangerous confrontation to carry a gun openly in a bar with a bunch of drunks and you might want to consider "untucking a shirt or throwing on cover garment."

(Perry County)

Isn't that the whole purpose of carrying a gun? As long as you drink responsibly you should be fine. If you are there to get plastered then drive home let alone carry a gun you shouldn't havea gun or a drivers license for that matter. You probably won't have either with such reckless behavior soon enough anyways.

I generally walk home when I am out, and I almost got attacked by an random stranger(I ran back and kept my distance and talked the guy down) who was drunk as all get up and thought I was someone I am not. So unless you have a wingman I wouldn't go out drinking to the point where you don't feel comfortable driving or carrying a gun.

I'm not saying a gun needs to be drawn for every for every confrontation to solve the issue. But a self defense situation is a confrontation you simply cannot avoid or deesculate, and you run the risk of being severely injured or killed.
    I'm not saying don't carry, unless you're planning on becoming impaired. What I'm saying is conceal it in those circumstances. I realize not everyone can and open carry is the only option. Then those people must weigh their options, consider the bars clientele, day of the week etc. If it's a crowded Friday night at your local bad-ass bar...

There is a responsibility that comes with carrying. It is not responsible to put yourself in a situation where confrontation is more likely when it can be avoided. If you're walking around hoping to be the hero, it's probably time to sell the gun and buy a cape.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    He never said anything about carrying a gun. He said it could increase the chances of a dangerous confrontation to carry a gun openly in a bar with a bunch of drunks and you might want to consider "untucking a shirt or throwing on cover garment."
    Well I do agree with that mindset. I don't open carry. I'm not a uniformed officer so I don't want to be the center of people's attention which you likely become when you open carry.

There is a responsibility that comes with carrying. It is not responsible to put yourself in a situation where confrontation is more likely when it can be avoided. If you're walking around hoping to be the hero, it's probably time to sell the gun and buy a cape.
    I was walking home since I didn't want to burn the gas it took to travel half a mile. I just got my pistol that night but didn't carry it since did not shoot it yet.
    Last edited by Kabloosh; July 27th, 2013 at 01:54 PM.

(Northampton County)

Well I do agree with that mindset. I don't open carry. I'm not a uniformed officer so I don't want to be the center of people's attention which you likely become when you open carry.
    Nope. Almost nobody cares. Been doing it every day for 5 years. More specifically, almost nobody notices and almost none of the rest care.

(Lancaster County)

Maybe he feels more vulnerable when carrying a gun.
    Sometimes guys just snatch onto something in a post to swipe at.
    My opinion open carry in a bar is a bad idea. Sure other people's beer muscles and bad attitudes aren't your problem but ..... Ohh forget it.

(Butler County)

I applaud you for attempting OC in a bar. As a drinker i carry in the bar EVERY time i am there. Myself and at least 5 other people are carrying at all times. Its probably the safest bar in the pittsburgh area I have never attempted to OC though as there are a lot of meat heads that frequent this place and I feel it would draw unwanted attention.
    PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by IROCZ View Post
    You don't feel safer when your carrying a gun???

Carrying a gun won't prevent an assault, no more than wearing a seatbelt will prevent an accident. I might not survive either, so how am I safer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by RainingLead View Post
    I contacted the owner and had a lengthy discussion with him. He was very polite and said that the manager who approached me did call him first. He did go on about how someone who is drunk would try to be a bad ass and challenge me. He also listened to everything I had to say and was nice about it and said that a customer complained to the manager and the manager called him and he didnt want a problem. I told him that I respected his right as a property owner and thats why I did take it out to the car. He also said that I was welcome back anytime just not open carrying. I understand what people have said about not ocing in a bar but the man sitting beside me that I spoke with said he felt safer that I had a gun on me. I was not impolite to the manager on the phone because he was not with me. But I told him it was not illegal and it was my right to which he agreed. He just didnt want it in his bar. He also said if he cant see it then it isint a problem. He also mentioned a story about some bikers who had knives strapped to them and he didnt like that either.
    He as his reasons. I think you did well.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Carrying a gun won't prevent an assault, no more than wearing a seatbelt will prevent an accident. I might not survive either, so how am I safer?
    It sure as hell has prevented assaults. I have read many stories on this forum about just that.

But I'm really confused that you don't feel safer wearing a seatbelt. The seatbelt might* not prevent an accident, but if one happens you are certainly safer.

*Might - actually, seatbelts can prevent and/or ameliorate accidents, not just injuries. It probably doesn't come up for most normal drivers, but seatbelts keep you in your seat and capable during unexpected vehicle performance and also after a first collision when more collisions are pending. Allowing you to control your car.
    Last edited by ungawa; July 27th, 2013 at 03:08 PM.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    There is a saying young Padawan. Discretion is the better part of valor. Why knowingly enter a situation where the likelihood of confrontation is higher when that confrontation can be avoided simply by untucking a shirt or throwing on cover garment?

There's always the possibility, depending on the prosecutor, that you may find yourself with legal bills, loss of your firearm and an inability to possess while waiting for a trial or hearing.

I'm not poo-pooing open carry. What I'm saying is that part of situational awareness is trying to avoid situations where an armed response may be more likely.
    You can not get drinks if noticeably intoxicated. I, like any responsible adult do not get publicly drunk.
    There is a possibility of confrontation anytime you leave your house. I've never found it to be an issue; maybe because I don't go to shitty bars. But robberies happen everywhere. So does fights, drus, or just plan nutters.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast