Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: OCing at Bill Batemans Bad Experience

I ate there a couple years ago oc'ing, I did not have any problems but maybe no one noticed. That was the only time I have been there, I don't drink and I was not impressed by their food.

If you want good subs try Sons of Sicily in the shopping center next to Giant, 15 inch cheesesteak sub for 7.00

(Cambria County)

Thumbs down Re: OCing at Bill Batemans Bad Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Armor Snail View Post
    I also would have just paid and left. No way am I taking a gun out to my car and leaving it unattended. Screw the beer. Get another somewhere else.

^^^ This for sure ^^^

1. No point in staying (shows them you are OK with their anti 2nd Amendment attitude).

2. No sense in putting your gun in the car. It is not safe there .
    What if someone saw you take it out and had a friend keep an eye on you at the bar while he snatched it out of your car?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Juniata County)

You handled it fine. I would have wanted the owners number to confirm the policy.

I would have also refused to pay for the last beer. You had the gun when you walked in; they should have refuse you service then. They did not.

I would have left right away.

You can't legally take it and leave - their glass; open container.

But that is just how I would have handled it. You were fine.

To the others posters.

Other people beer muscles are not my fault. I am
    A responsible adult; if they can not keep themselves inline - what to makes threats risk me standing my ground that is between them and God.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    You handled it fine. I would have wanted the owners number to confirm the policy.

I would have also refused to pay for the last beer. You had the gun when you walked in; they should have refuse you service then. They did not.

I would have left right away.

You can't legally take it and leave - their glass; open container.

But that is just how I would have handled it. You were fine.

To the others posters.

A responsible adult; if they can not keep themselves inline - what to makes threats risk me standing my ground that is between them and God.
    You're correct, it wouldn't be your fault. But when I step outside, I do my best to avoid having to use my gun. It seems counterproductive to that goal to OC in a bar where it is HIGHLY more likely that someone with beer muscles will take my OC as a challenge in comparison to pretty much any other situation.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(York County)

I contacted the owner and had a lengthy discussion with him. He was very polite and said that the manager who approached me did call him first. He did go on about how someone who is drunk would try to be a bad ass and challenge me. He also listened to everything I had to say and was nice about it and said that a customer complained to the manager and the manager called him and he didnt want a problem. I told him that I respected his right as a property owner and thats why I did take it out to the car. He also said that I was welcome back anytime just not open carrying. I understand what people have said about not ocing in a bar but the man sitting beside me that I spoke with said he felt safer that I had a gun on me. I was not impolite to the manager on the phone because he was not with me. But I told him it was not illegal and it was my right to which he agreed. He just didnt want it in his bar. He also said if he cant see it then it isint a problem. He also mentioned a story about some bikers who had knives strapped to them and he didnt like that either.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    To the others posters.

There is a saying young Padawan. Discretion is the better part of valor. Why knowingly enter a situation where the likelihood of confrontation is higher when that confrontation can be avoided simply by untucking a shirt or throwing on cover garment?

There's always the possibility, depending on the prosecutor, that you may find yourself with legal bills, loss of your firearm and an inability to possess while waiting for a trial or hearing.

I'm not poo-pooing open carry. What I'm saying is that part of situational awareness is trying to avoid situations where an armed response may be more likely.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by RainingLead View Post

I understand what people have said about not ocing in a bar but the man sitting beside me that I spoke with said he felt safer that I had a gun on me.

He felt safer? How so? Do you feel safer carrying a firearm? I don't when I carry mine. Carrying doesn't embolden me whatsoever. I am not there to save the day, especially if some drunks want to bang each other over the head with cue sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by RainingLead View Post
    I was not impolite to the manager on the phone because he was not with me. But I told him it was not illegal and it was my right to which he agreed. He just didnt want it in his bar.

Legal or not, your right or not, it does not trump a business owner's right to run a business as he sees fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Flame me if you will, but I too think it is irresponsible to OC in a bar. I really don't even like Cc in a bar but a quiet beer or two with a hidden firearm would be OK as long as you were not impaired in ANY WAY

I like to avoid problems. A drunk who want to show you up decides
    He is going to take your gun. What do you do? Say he is a big guy
    with a beer brain? Are you prepared to shoot?
    No matter what the outcome it will be painful

Don't get me wrong. I am not against OC. It has its place and in some situations is preferable to CC.

But I think that situations like drunks should be avoided.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    A couple of things and you may flame me if you wish. I think open carrying while drinking in a bar is irresponsible. As others have said, people develop beer muscles in bars. You're much more likely to find yourself in a confrontation there then you are in a Walmart or a park.Secondly, private property rights still trump your rights on where you can carry. Making a scene is wholly inappropriate. It's your right to tell them you will no longer patronize their establishment and you will advise fellow firearms enthusiasts of their policy. It's your right to contact the owner and corporate headquarters.

If you make a sufficient scene and the police are called, you likely will find yourself charged with disorderly conduct at a minimum. Not for the carrying but for the disturbance. If the owner/manager asked you to leave and you refuse you will likely be arrested for defiant trespass which is a misdemeanor. You will make nothing but a negative impression for those on the fence by creating a ruckus.
    Isn't that the whole purpose of carrying a gun? As long as you drink responsibly you should be fine. If you are there to get plastered then drive home let alone carry a gun you shouldn't havea gun or a drivers license for that matter. You probably won't have either with such reckless behavior soon enough anyways.

I generally walk home when I am out, and I almost got attacked by an random stranger(I ran back and kept my distance and talked the guy down) who was drunk as all get up and thought I was someone I am not. So unless you have a wingman I wouldn't go out drinking to the point where you don't feel comfortable driving or carrying a gun.

I'm not saying a gun needs to be drawn for every for every confrontation to solve the issue. But a self defense situation is a confrontation you simply cannot avoid or deesculate, and you run the risk of being severely injured or killed.
    Last edited by Kabloosh; July 27th, 2013 at 01:42 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    He felt safer? How so? Do you feel safer carrying a firearm? I don't when I carry mine. Carrying doesn't embolden me whatsoever. I am not there to save the day, especially if some drunks want to bang each other over the head with cue sticks.

Legal or not, your right or not, it does not trump a business owner's right to run a business as he sees fit.
    You don't feel safer when your carrying a gun???

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast