Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fathers pistols

Default Fathers pistols

I'm new here so, Howdy!
    My father was an avid gun collector. He has Alzheimer's and, after an incident with the state police he was determined incompetent and his fire arms had to be taken away.

I have invoked my power of attorney to take care of him and make sure he is safe. However I have this armory I do not want around.

In the state of PA, how would I go about selling the handguns?

Thanks

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Fathers pistols

Hi,

Make an inventory of the firearms. Post them here and you can get an idea of their value. Photo's will help assessing the value. Long guns can be sold face to face in PA. Pistols must go through a Federal Firearms License holder (a gun dealer).
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Delaware County)

As mentioned make a list of the firearms. To get an idea of the value check websites like www.gunbroker.com, www.gunsamerica.com, and www.auctionarms.com

I like good deals as much as the next guy but I don't want to see someone taken to the cleaners because they don't know what they have. If you get some pictures and post them on this site members can help you out.

I don't know if any of the pistols have sentimental value but if so I would advice on keeping them, if not for you for the grandkids down the road. For example I have a few firearms my grandfather brought back from WWII, though they aren't worth much I would never sell them.
    Apathy is the downfall of Our Liberty

(Bucks County)

the easiest way to get rid of them is to take them to a FFL and sell them but this option will probably net you less than 50% of their actual value. the upside to selling to an FFL is you get your cash right away and don't have to go through the hassle of selling the guns individually.

to determine value checkout www.gunbroker.com or www.gunsamerica.com and see what others are asking. neither site is 100% accurate when it comes to gun values but it'll at least give you a starting point to determine the value of your fathers firearms.

your other option is to list them for sale on this board or armslist. i've sold a couple of firearms on PAFOA and armslist without issue. all hand guns must be shippeded to or transferred through a FFL. rifles can be transferred FTF with another PA resident without involving a FFL. shipping is expensive for pistols because they have to be shipped overnight but rifles can go ground so shipping rifles is significantly cheaper. all firearms shipped must be shipped to a FFL so you'll need a copy of the receiving FFL's license.

how many firearms are you looking to sell and what type? there are lots of knowledgeable folks on this board that can help you determine value and you might even get a few offers.

(Chester County)

Another option would be to place them with a dealer on consignment. You should get a fair idea of the value first. This should net you more than a sale to the dealer.

(Lehigh County)

Get a list together and post it here. Most of the people on this board can give you a ballpark figure of their value. Don't sell them until you know the value, get a few unbiased opinions first. Don't sell them to the guy in the next cubicle offering $50 because he "knows what it's worth". You are a little to far from me, or I would look at them for you. Maybe someone closer to your locale would volunteer to see what you have.
    Last edited by Pa.Sniper; July 27th, 2013 at 12:11 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

You should definitely have them looked at. Some rare variations of common firearms can be much more valuable than others. Take a late war commercial Walther P38 for example, less than 1800 were produced, making it much more valuable than your typical WWII bring back.

I have always valued the collective knowledge accessible on a firearms forum such as this one. Its usually always a good starting point for information.

(York County)

Okay, since no one has yet said this: you need to use printed "book" values to start any real estimate of what your dad's guns are worth. All FFL licensed dealers will start by going to a printed book.

Where to get copies of print books for values? Go to any larger bookstore and look up books like "Standard Catalog of Firearms" or "Gun Digest book of values", or "Standard Catalog of Firearms". If you have a list of your dad's guns in hand you can look up the values and record them without even having gone to the trouble to buy the book in question.

So why not just use internet values as one of the previous posters suggested?

Well, first off the internet tends to be wildly inflated in pricing. There have been constant threads on this own board about how ridiculous some of the asking prices people have put on the classifieds here. Secondly, the internet often does not include rarer variations (or sellers will wildly state things that make a common gun "rare"). Anyway, you need to look at recent prices items SOLD for, never the asking price a seller asks.

Previous posters have already steered you correctly about options for selling outright to dealer, vs. consignment or just starting an account and finding buyers yourself before getting an FFL to do the transfer and ship for you.

Hope this helps.

(York County)

Hello:

I see you are in Red Lion. Here are two auction houses that would sell your collection for you, if you are interested.

http://www.reddingauction.com/

http://www.wehrlysauction.com/

Even though you pay a commission, often I have seen firearms sell for more than they are worth. If I had to dispose of a large number of firearms, this is how I would do it.
    Archie Gates: No unnecessary shots, Conrad, 'cause we know what they do.
    Conrad Vig: Make infected pockets full of bile, sir.
    Archie Gates: That's right, Conrad, that's what they do.

(Montgomery County)

I would compile a list with pictures and as much info as possible and post that here in this specific forum section. You will get multiple opinions on what they're worth.

Then you can create separate posts in the classified forums. Selling everything locally would be my method, but would take some effort on your part. Of course you could see what different gun shops would give you which is easier but not as personal or profitable.

As mentioned - long guns dealer not necessary, handguns dealer necessary for transfer.

And last but not least..... Don't see all of them!!!! Hold onto the special ones to pass down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast