Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Protecting yourself from dogs.

So here's a question for you. I live in a townhouse community and am part of the neighborhood watch. We've been having issues with a neighbor who refuses to put his two rather aggressive bull terriers on a leash. They recently attacked someone and we are in the process of having the dogs removed but who knows how long that will take.

Here's my question. If I am out on watch and encounter one of these dogs and they charge at me am I obligated to retreat even though I can't possibly outrun them? I thought about pepper spray but if it's windy and the mist turns on me I could be in bad shape. Your thoughts?

(Venango County)

Default Re: Protecting yourself from dogs.

Good Luck hitting an attacking dog......

I would think that you would be justified dispatching any and all attacking dogs,

that's just my opinion, though

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    Good Luck hitting an attacking dog......

I would think that you would be justified dispatching any and all attacking dogs,

that's just my opinion, though
    i agree,,espcially if the dog/dogs are prior attackers in the same community

(Lackawanna County)

I had a similar situation with a neighbor and his 3 rottweilers. I went through our local animal control. He ended up getting fined. As for the shoot, I would think if you were being attacked, it would be a good shoot. Especially with the reputation, deserved or undeserved, those dogs have.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by miles512 View Post
    We've been having issues with a neighbor who refuses to put his two rather aggressive bull terriers on a leash. They recently attacked someone and we are in the process of having the dogs removed but who knows how long that will take.

Here's my question. If I am out on watch and encounter one of these dogs and they charge at me am I obligated to retreat even though I can't possibly outrun them?
    First off, 7 Pa. Code § 21.4 (iii) States:
    Failure to register and restrain a dangerous dog. Consistent with section 505-A(a) of the act (3 P. S. § 459-505-A(a)), a person that fails to properly register a dangerous dog, secure and maintain the liability insurance coverage required under section 503-A of the act (3 P. S. § 450-503-A), maintain the dog in the proper enclosure or fails to have the dog under proper physical restraint when the dog is outside the enclosure or dwelling of the owner shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree. In addition, a State dog warden or a police officer shall immediately confiscate a dangerous dog upon the occurrence of any of these violations.
    So they are already guilty of that...

Secondly, if ANY dog charges me I'll kill it. And I love dogs - but I've seen what they can do. Besides, you are certainly justified in defending yourself against an animal.

Oh, and the retreat requirement mentions the ability to retreat safely. That cannot be done with a dog charging you.

(Bucks County)

and especially being PA, dogs are considered livestock. unlike places like commifornia where you can get almost as much jail time for shooting a dog as a person...... i really couldn't see a problem with shooting them.......... other option, carry a half of a broomstick and beat the crap out of them.........
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

We have a neighbor that lets theirs loose. They think it's funny when people run from it.

I'll shoot it without hesitation should I have even a glimmer of a thought that that dog is a threat to me, my family, or my dog.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Bucks County)

I'm an animal lover and I hate to have to think of putting a dog down because his owner is an ass hat. However, I can't take a chance on one of these dogs tearing me or my wife and daughter apart.

(Dauphin County)

someone correct me if im wrong , but i think that if a dog is endangering the life of a human or livestock or even deer it can be killed legally !

im trying to remember where i saw it to get a quote. maybe the hunting rules ?

(Berks County)

I would say some type of peper spray would be your best bet. If however it doesn't stop them and they attack........put em down. You would not be found at fault if you tried non lethal first IMHO.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast