Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: The P89 review:

Default The P89 review:

The P89 is one of the members of the P-series of sidearms offered by Strum, Ruger Company founded in 1949. The P-series family takes the name of the year of development. The first of this style was the P85, developed for a replacement of the 1911A1 for the U.S. military. Unfortunately the Beretta M9 was chosen due to some of the P85’s issues. Some of these issues included accidental discharge if the firing pin broke in front of the firing pin block. Engaging the safety would drop the hammer & could transfer enough force to cause a discharge. Also certain features were cumbersome to reach. It also was not terribly accurate compared to the high standard of other Ruger firearms. Regardless of it short falls the P85 was described as “Tank tough & reliable”.

Now that we have the history lesson out of the way, let’s get to the P89.

The P89 was developed in 1989 and reached the public in 1991. It embraced all the lessons learned from the P85. It is recoil operated, locked breech semi-auto 9mm pistol. It utilized some features such as a tilt barrel and link system similar to the 1911. It featured an aluminum alloy frame, steel slide, stainless steel barrel & internal parts. Accuracy was greatly improved when Ruger hired a consultant to rework the barrel. It also was offered in three different configurations of double action; decock manual safety which dropped the hammer and disengaged the trigger, decock only, & double action only. The trigger had a ton of pretravel and overtravel. If you noticed in the picture below the black P89 has had trigger work done compared to the KP89. The ‘K’ denotes the use of a stainless steel slide.

Here’s the technical low down:
    Caliber 9mm
    Action(s) DA, DC, DAO
    Length 7.75”
    Barrel 4.5”
    Weight 2.4lbs
    Frame Aluminum
    Slide SS or Blued steel
    Capacity 15 (preban)

Just for comparison I broke down the P89 next to the 1911. To quote Rocketfoot, “I wish the 1911 had a take down (slide lock) lever like the P89...life would be sweet!" I’d have to agree.

All in all, I love my P89. It has never failed me and has been my primary carry for over 10 years. I would recommend anyone looking for an affordable sidearm to pick one up, if you can find one (new). Other than the trigger I have not one complaint overall. When I was lurking in the shadows before signing up for the PAFOA I pondered a screen name. In the end it was a no brainer…I would pay tribute to my first handgun. Sadly, the P89 was discontinued in 2008.
    Last edited by P89; December 10th, 2008 at 09:42 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: The P89 review:

Thanks for the helpful review. I recently bought a P85 Mk ii which is pretty much the same as a P89 from what I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong about that. I absolutely love the gun. It's the stainless model and I think it looks and feels great. For just under 200 bucks I can't complain.

(Tioga County)

A thread brought back from the dead.

Can Elvis be far behind?
    MikeP

Huh, it's still here.
    I really should have let someone else write that review.

I have a associate that swears by the P series Ruger from the 9mm to the 45acp. He really likes the way the Ruger is set up and handles. I find it tough, durable, reliable and accurate enough just over engineered and too bulking to be 9mm.

At one point I liked Rugers DA & SA revolvers and Rifles but not so much there semi autos then came the SR9/40 C and standard series which I own like a lot. I'm not a fan of the P series Rugers but I can see why some are its a good gun.

I also like and own there SR1911 and Mini 14s!! So I am a Ruger Man.
    Last edited by Neko456; November 18th, 2011 at 05:22 PM.

I owned one of these about 7-8 years ago, and should never have sold it. I bought it for $250 used, and it was in perfect condition. What a great, simple, reliable, and accurate handgun.

I hope whoever has her now is treating her well...

(Clarion County)

Have an early P90. I still remember a quote about it from the American Rifleman years ago. "It's what it looks like." Other than modifying the front sight it's stock and no problems at all with it.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.