Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unintended Consequences!

The good kind! Yeah, I know, a consequence is usually negative, right? Last Friday Mrs. Plinker agreed to accompany me to the gun show. While she does like spending time with me, this was one of those "I'm going to watch you to see how much money you spend" things. As we walked in the door of the show, who did she meet but one of her co-workers! This is a woman she has known and worked with for years. And it got even better! This lady is married to one of the guys who owns the one gunshop I frequent on a regular basis. It didn't really help me out any, since they immediately disabused me of the notion that I would be getting any discounts, but I figured it would give Mrs. Plinker a kindred soul with whom to talk about guns. She has numerous friends at church, but most of them are the timid sort who think guns are going to go off spontaneously.

Today things got ratcheted up another notch! I got a very excited email from my Mrs. telling me that her co-worker friend has invited her to go shooting together sometime, and she can't wait! This is great news! She has always been sympathetic towards my ownership of guns. We even went shooting before we got married, and of course a number of times since then over the past 24 years. It has been more of a chore than fun for her. On the plus side, she has come to realize that she needs something more than just me to protect her, but it has been a long hard journey. Now she is getting excited about it, and is meeting other women who are shooters too.

A big part of it too is meeting some of the ladies from the forum here - mainly other wives so far, but still, she is seeing that there are a lot of women involved in this stuff. I'm as giddy as a little girl here. I can't wait for her to go shooting either. The biggest down side is I am going to have to start sharing my gun budget with her. That would be a great problem to have.

Default Re: Unintended Consequences!

Yes, but maybe now she'll make changes in the shooting budget in your favor.
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Allegheny County)

I don't see any downside here for you, easy to buy gun gifts, easy to take gun shopping, easy to increase spending to support her new habbit, more range time etc.
    Lucky Guy

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by nlcrsn View Post
    Yes, but maybe now she'll make changes in the shooting budget in HER favor.
    fixed it for you. This just means he is going to be spending less on himself and loading more mags.

(Allegheny County)

Yep you can even buy her a book like Unintended Consequences by John Ross, sorry title of your post always make me think of this book

(Luzerne County)

It sounds like a good thing that she is going to join you in your shooting.. and you can always buy her something to keep her interested... and gain leverage to get something YOU want..lol

Who knows... maybe you will now have a secret Santa...and hints to them never hurt... especially if you remember her birthday and anniversary..LMAO

Good luck....

Certainly beats the hell out of being dragged to yarn stores, craft shops, quilt shows, etc, ad nausium. I'll like it a lot better when Singer comes out with an XD45 model. But to be fair, she also shoots. Beat out 26 boys from her Wisoncin 4-H club when she was 13. Hmmmm....I wonder if she'll make me an AR-15 quilt or knit me a gunrug? By the way...it isn't pronounced k-nit, the k is silent....the things you learn at the yarn store.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    I don't see any downside here for you, easy to buy gun gifts, easy to take gun shopping, easy to increase spending to support her new habbit, more range time etc.
    Lucky Guy
    +1 to that! My wife wasn't necessarily the "gun happy" freak I am until a reason to be able to defend herself and the kids arose a few months back. Even though she's been a Certified Sharpshooter for over 10 years, having a gun in the home wasn't necessarily something that appeased to her.

Now that she's got "her" .38, she's looking towards "bigger guns". Three so far at Gander Mountain that have her interest is a S&W 686 .357 Mag., a Ruger in .44 Mag., and a Sigarms 5.56 AR.

I showed her the pic of the .50 BMG that was set up the last time I went to the range. She seems to be taking a liking to that one too!

My advice: Get her all the guns she wants. Just don't piss her off! To that effect, let me recite the six magic words of marriage: YES DEAR, WHATEVER YOU SAY DEAR!

-38SnubFan

Quote Originally Posted by 38SnubFan View Post
    My advice: Get her all the guns she wants. Just don't piss her off! To that effect, let me recite the six magic words of marriage: YES DEAR, WHATEVER YOU SAY DEAR!

-38SnubFan
    Yeah, I think I got myself in trouble this evening. She is three years younger than I am, still in her mid 40s, but today she got a pre-approved membership card for the AARP. I could not resist having some fun with that. Now I'm going to have to sleep with one eye open for a while...

Whitefeather, I have not had a chance to read the book yet, but the title was in my mind while I was searching for an appropriate title for my post!

Overall though, this is win win for all the family. All our daughters are shooters as well, and now they have Mom for an example to go along with Daddy. Yeah, I'm still Daddy, even though she has been Mom for years.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Yeah, I think I got myself in trouble this evening. She is three years younger than I am, still in her mid 40s, but today she got a pre-approved membership card for the AARP. I could not resist having some fun with that. Now I'm going to have to sleep with one eye open for a while...

Whitefeather, I have not had a chance to read the book yet, but the title was in my mind while I was searching for an appropriate title for my post!

Overall though, this is win win for all the family. All our daughters are shooters as well, and now they have Mom for an example to go along with Daddy. Yeah, I'm still Daddy, even though she has been Mom for years.

Wow! Hopefully my wife and I won't have to worry about pre-approved AARP memberships in the mail for a few more years, seeing as I'm 31 and she's 30.

I'm hoping down the road to get my children into the shooting sports as well. The way Mrs. Snub has had her growing fondness, I think the range trips will become family outings!

All the best,
    38SnubFan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast