Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Armstrong County)

Default Re: New to guns, looking for advice

A quick answer. 9mm is a great caliber, and since you are already familiar with it, it would probably be beneficial to start with that

The pistol you are already familiar with: the Beretta M9, in 9mm

A similar all steel, and very popular firearm: CZ 75, again in 9mm

Or try what is probably the most popular polymer firearm in this caliber: Glock 19

Keep one of those in the nightstand, as well as a few spare magazines.

and then also stashed away(under bed, in closet, etc), a 18.5"-20" barrel 12 ga shotgun. Popular ones are the Mossberg 500 and Remmington 870, filled with 00 buckshot.

Top that all off with a few classes and range time become proficient in both firearms, and you are golden.

Are there other firearms that you could look at? Yes. But it will be hard to find any knowledgeable gun enthusiast who will say any of the above mentioned firearms are "bad" choices. they are the most popular firearms for a reason. And this is coming from a guy who hates two particular models in the list, so I'm trying to be as unbiased as I can be.

(Delaware County)

The best weapon you could possibly own for the sole purpose of home defense is a very simple and inexpensive one - a 12 gauge pump action shotgun.

Go to a gun store and ask for a Remington 870 pump, or a Mossberg 500 pump, in 12 gauge. Read the manual, learn how to operate it, practice with it while it's empty, and take it to the range every so often to become accustomed to it's recoil and firing operation.

The best way I've heard it described was from a stand up comedian.

"If someone starts a problem with you over here, a shotgun is great, because 'cha-chick - BLAM!' And you don't have a problem over here anymore. Those people over there - they saw what you did over here, and now you don't have a problem over there either!"

If someone breaks into your home, starts rummaging through your shit, and suddenly hears the sound of a 12 gauge pump action being racked...they stop rummaging through your shit. That sound is universal. No one will ever ignore it - it will not only get an intruder's attention, but they will simultaneously realize at that moment that they vwery quickly have somewhere else to be - anywhere else. And if, for some unknown reason, they decide to attack you instead? You just have to be facing in their general direction when you pull the trigger, and they will not be walking away in one piece.

It's not a magical doomstick of awesomeness, but it's pretty damn close. Get it, learn it, get good with it. That's where you want to start protecting your home.

Quote Originally Posted by johnydavid View Post
    For home security in my opinion I would acquire a 9mm or 40cal semi auto that can hold at least 14 rounds as well as a 12 guage. Practice practice practice and get familiar with your guns. I prefer a semi without a safety so I'm not caught pulling a dead trigger but this is me and I'm very familiar with my guns.
    When ever I see some one say as well as a 12 Gauge to a newbie I wonder..
    1) at least say pump. a coach wont do long..
    2) as an experienced shooter, think of turning corners in a house with a full length shotgun.
    3) I did some trick shooting at PMSC in my days, one handed shooting and what not, but really would not think of grabbing my shotgun at home before my 9MM.. think of a shotgun as a big brook stick easy to push away in close quarters compared to a pistol/revolver that you can maintain close to you for leverage.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for all the advice.

I am leaning towards a 9mm, either a sig sp2022 or a Ruger SR9c.

My only concern is that my wife is tiny and I am worried that the 9mm might be too much for her??? Is getting a .22 pointless?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by danZ View Post

My only concern is that my wife is tiny and I am worried that the 9mm might be too much for her??? Is getting a .22 pointless?

I would not call a .22 pointless, ideal no but not pointless. In a defense situation any gun in your hand is better than no gun at all IMHO. That being said since this is for home defense primarily consider a full size 9mm and not one of the compact models. 9mm is a pussy cat in a fullsize package. The sp2022 is probably closer to this than the sr9c. I personally have never shot either so I can't speak from experience on these two models but I have a p95 (pretty large) and it is very managable. If the sr is the way you are leaning personally I would look into the fullsize model.

(Berks County)

If you are going to go with a 22 you better start looking for ammo now. Other wise just go to the hardware store and buy a hammer. 22mag is better for protection than long rifle. Good luck and like other said get training, one bit of advse let someone else train the wife. It goes better. Safety demands complete compliance with instructor. Some times the dynamic of man and wife makes the other person feel like they are being bossed or talked down to. Not productive. It is not always that way, but it can happen. Best to have all first experience be great then the desire to do it again gets stoked. We all need new people in this sport. Happy your joining. Stay safe.

(Allegheny County)

With a proper grip I don't see any reason why any able bodied adult cannot effectively fire a full size polymer framed 9mm handgun. Some may fit and feel better than others. But a full size slide and recoil spring will soak up allot of energy.
    Last edited by QuackXP; August 30th, 2013 at 12:01 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Armstrong County)

Let her fire a 9mm before you deem it too big for her.

The best judge on how much a person, be it male or female, can handle is themselves. Not anyone else, including their significan other (no offense).

My wife is rather small (5'5" and 120 lbs) and she carries a .38/357 magnum and likes it, and she wasn't first introduced to firearms until a few years ago.

(Allegheny County)

I finally purchased a pistol for my wife and I to have at the house. We ended up going with the Ruger SR9c. Now we just need to get to a range and start practicing. We are not currently member of any shooting ranges. What range would you all recommend? I live in the North Hills area.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123