Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Sig Factory Armorer Course?

Has anyone taken this course? I was thinking about treating myself to the class up in NH and was wondering if there were any opinions about it.
    Bushmaster AR-15

(Elk County)

Default Re: Sig Factory Armorer Course?

If you've never had any formal training in handgun disassembly, maintenance, repair, and assembly it can be an interesting hands-on experience even though geared to SIG handguns in particular. The topics covered are sufficiently general that you could readily disassemble a Beretta, CZ, or HK for example and recognize components and understand their function and interaction. If you already are comfortable with complete teardown and reassembly of your SIGs, I'm not sure if the cost of the class, room, food, and fuel would be worth it. But they did offer discounts on mags, parts, and accessories when I attended, and I did take advantage of that.

The SIG lineup when I took it was the P220, P225, P226, P228, P229, P232, P239 and that's about it. The product line has greatly expanded to include other models such as the poly framed models, an extensive 1911 offering, and the "little 1911" models in 380 and 9mm that are similar to the Colt Mustang. So going to the course for the exposure to the newer products might alone be worth it.

Depending on who teaches the course, you also may get some valuable "tricks of the trade" for certain operations, like the use of slave pins to hold certain components in place during assembly while driving in solid pins or roll pins; a dab of grease to hold a small coil spring in place in a recess; the correct way to use a roll pin punch, etc.

The course was (may still be) two days, and the interaction with other "students" was almost as interesting as the course material. Lots of anecdotal stories, if the instructor asks for such input during class, and for sure during the breaks and at dinner the first day. Naturally, there's always an "expert" or two in the crowd, but sometimes that makes for great entertainment. The class I attended had a real cross-section of attendees ranging from a couple IDPA shooters, some independent gunsmiths, a few gun shop employees who double as "gunsmiths," a number of local, state, and federal LEO armorers, and a few military armorers (presumably for the M11). I kept my eyes and ears open like the proverbial "fly on the wall" the whole time, and didn't volunteer much, but that's me in those kinds of settings; I prefer to learn all I can without giving much away.

Back in the day the cost was like $250 or close to that, unless I'm confusing it with the Beretta course. Dunno what SIG charges now, and you need to add in your room (maybe two nights), food, and travel expenses. I guess you'd have to decide if the total cost of the class was worth it for the experience.

HTH,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(York County)

Smile Re: Sig Factory Armorer Course?

Thanks Noah! Great synopsis. I've never taken a class like this and while I do basic cleaning on my Sigs I thought it would be great to have a more thorough understanding of the weapons.

Based on your description, it should be fun and with the discount, I just might find some new stuff to bring home with me :-).
    Bushmaster AR-15

(Luzerne County)

I took the course several years ago through the NRA LEO Activities Program. Learned to completely disassemble the P220 and a DAK pistol.

Don't know if they do if for the non-LEO class, but the final test for us was that every student 20+ totally disassembled there pistol, all the parts were dumped on a table and you had to put together a functioning pistol from all the parts. Each student got to pick 5 parts at a time.

(Cambria County)

I'm in VA right now and half way through a Classic P-Series course (2 days). Good stuff and worthwhile if you've got some Sigs to maintain. I think it's especially helpful if you're collecting older pistols with unknown service histories. It's not cheap, but cheaper than factory service if you've got a few pistols. You also get discounts on parts when ordered direct once you pass the course.