Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Rossi 92 16" for cowboy action shooting?

My question is do I need a rifle that holds 10? This holds 8+1 in chamber? It says nothing in the rule book about a minimum capacity requirement but Ive read online you need a gun that holds 10 and many stages are 10 round stages.

Any help would be great.
    Have you called, faxed, or emailed your reps today!!!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Rossi 92 16" for cowboy action shooting?

I don't think they are prohibited, but you might be at a disadvantage unless you're good at tactical reloads with a levergun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Erie County)

Almost every CAS stage calls for 10 rifle rounds. You can choose a rifle that holds less than the required count, but you will be forced to reload on the clock on almost every stage. Best advice is just to find a 92 with the 20" barrel and be done with it. Contact Enck's Gun Barn, tell them you're looking for a rifle for CAS, not only will they steer you in the right direction on a rifle that will work best for you, but they'll make you a great deal on it as well.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

(Lehigh County)

all the events Ive seen say for example " 10 round rapid fire (one reload required) " so from what im understanding they must limit the rounds you have in your gun and make you reload on the "fast"

(Lehigh County)

Thank you both the issue is I got the Rossi already just because I wanted it and can't afford another so I guess I'll make do with what I have as long as its within the regulations.

(Lehigh County)

Question Re: Rossi 92 16" for cowboy action shooting?

http://www.chiefokemos.org/CowboyAction.htm This link states MIN of 10 rounds

http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/201...ok-17-2011.pdf

This link is the sass handbook and says nothing about limits or mins/max on ammo capacity this is where I get lost because if you google it you get mixed answers on it saying both yes/no.

(Montgomery County)

Having a gun that holds 10 rounds is advantageous in cas. That's why the R92 with the 20" barrel is more popular than the 16" barrel.

When they write "shoot 10 (one reload required)", they mean that you can have 9 in the gun, even if it holds 10, and are required to reload at least one "on the clock".

Thank goodness you didn't choose the Henry. While a beautifully made gun, the slide tube loading (like a 22) takes so much time that on any stage that has a reload required, it's actually faster to just take the penalty for a miss.

I assume you've found Nate Kiowa Jones (http://stevesgunz.com/) and have already ordered yourself the dvd and kit?

What cal is that 92? SASS requires pistol cals in the rifle, so 30/30 is no good. 38 sp or 45long colt is fine.

(Lebanon County)

This may be a stupid question but is the 8+1 for 357 or also for 38? may be able to squeeze 9+1 with 38s. Just thought i would suggest it
    Last edited by herplover; July 23rd, 2013 at 02:36 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrmm22sr View Post
    http://www.chiefokemos.org/CowboyAction.htm This link states MIN of 10 rounds

http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/201...ok-17-2011.pdf

This link is the sass handbook and says nothing about limits or mins/max on ammo capacity this is where I get lost because if you google it you get mixed answers on it saying both yes/no.
    In that case it will depend on who is sanctioning the event. As I hinted to in my original post, I didn't think they were prohibited - but that was SASS rules. Smaller, independent, or localized clubs may have differing rules. An uncle of my used to do the cowboy shoots with the 94 Trapper(16") that he gave to me. ...I cant remember offhand what it holds, but I'm thinking only 7 or 8 rounds.

Another way to get around the smaller magazine is to use shorter cartridges. Instead of shooting 45Colt, use 45 Schofield. Instead of 44mag, use 44Special. Instead of 357mag, use 38Special(although some rifle events require 40cal or larger). ....with the shorter cartridges you might be able to squeeze in another cartridge. And since you typically have to do one reload you can cut down the timed load to just a single cartridge or two.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast