Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default 1911 Questions for you

OK, so I'm looking to trade up to a 45. I'll admit, I'm not sure if I would want a 1911 or not. Your job, if you chose to accept it, is to convince me why I should purchase a 1911 style of pistol over a NON 1911 style of 45.

What are the advantages and disadvantages?

I'm looking for a slim pistol. Not interested in double stacks. Willing to give up some ammo in exchange for ease of carry (less weight, thinner).
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: 1911 Questions for you

its a classic, perfect firearm with over a century of proven reliability under its belt. the nicest trigger to touch an index finger in the history of man. holds plenty enough of big fat boolits to make bad guys leak ALOT and its thin as all getout. can be customized to your hearts content to make it fit you and be "yours". its optimum weight in that its not overly heavy but heavy enough to make its recoil manageable by a 5 year old girl that's 20 lbs underweight and has her asking for more. also the 1911 IS America.
    I have had surprisingly few homeless people hire me. - GunLawyer001

(Delaware County)

The biggest reason, as stated above, the 1911 IS America. A long and rich history in the USA and in the military. I shoot a Springfield 1911 myself and it is wonderful!!! As far as a carry piece, there are shortened versions and "carry" versions, but when you compare to non 1911, especially if you are ok with 40 caliber as well, the options really open up and they are easier to carry and conceal

I carry an HK USP40c that gives me 12+1 rounds of 40 vs 7+1 rounds of 45 in a much smaller and easier to carry piece. I love to shoot my Springfield, but I would hate to lug it around all day in the heat!
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away

Pros
    -Feels like a gun
    -Slim
    -Customizable
    -Awesome triggers
    -Can be made very accurate
    -Loved by most
    -'Murica

Cons
    -Unreliable
    -Low capacity
    -Originally designed for one handed shooting
    -Unreliable
    -Jams
    -Finicky
    -Unreliable

Firearms development did not stop in 1911.

Go with some Tupperware (polymer).
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Mercer County)

For me, it's primarily the trigger and way it points.

It's heavy, old, has no capacity, and is downright awesome. You have to WANT to carry a 1911, because other more modern designs make more sense.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Washington County)

What the rest of these guys said.....^^^

1911's also shoot smooth as a MOFO! It feels far different than shooting styles such as Glocks, XD, M&P, SR, and all of the other ones. In my opinion, no other gun shoots or feels like a 1911, once I shot a friends it was over for me; I love them!! I still buy and enjoy shooting other handguns, but none of them shoot like any of my 1911's..

Oh, and you can get anymore AMERICAN, than a 1911!
    Last edited by TheGhost27; July 22nd, 2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo

(Bucks County)

If you're considering carrying a 1911 don't get anything shorter then a commander (4" Barrel). 3" 1911 are notorious for malfunctions, though my buddy with his Colt Defender would tell me I'm full of shit.
    I rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

A 1911 is thin, but heavy, not sure that I would want to carry one all the time, although lots do. If I was to carry one, it would be a Commander style (4"), simply because I feel it is the best compromise between size and reliability. All 1911s are awesome, they are smooth, powerful, and America! They are also what comes to mind when someone mentions a 45. That being said, I have found most 1911s to be a little more finicky about ammo, there are definitely more modern, reliable choices for a carry gun. If you've never fired a 1911, you owe it to yourself before you buy any 45. If you like it, and it feels right, buy one. If not, check out some others and buy what feels right. I am a fan of 1911s, but I'm really more of a fan of .45ACP, and luckily there are lots of good choices in that caliber.

Not sure what unreliable 1911s some of these guys are shooting, but mine have never failed me. Springfield (one stove pipe. SA fixed it right up under warranty. that was 10 years ago. At one point, I was shooting 300 rounds a week, no issues), Rock Island Arms (low round count, but easily the most accurate 9mm I own - it's a 1911 9mm). My friend's Glock broke during course of fire. Crap happens. No one gun platform is more reliable than another.

The only thing I can say, is shoot the 1911. Once you do, it won't matter what any of us say. You'll either love it, or you won't. I have yet to meet the person who didn't love it. Not to say they all ran out an bought one, because we all have different needs.

My niece, both teenage kids, everyone that has ever shot the 1911l, up against various other guns, always comments how they like it the best. The grip is natural.

I am with you on the single stack. I have gotten to the point where even a single stack 9mm is fine by me. I prefer metal over polymer, but I have a Shield, G19, etc.

Polymers, nice in 9mm, too snappy in 40, IMO. So, the 1911 allows you to step up from the 9mm. The 40 is snappy, the 45 is more of a shove. It's the same as comparing a rifle to a shotgun. The rifle snaps against the shoulder, the shotgun is more of a shove to the shoulder.
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/co...i/pro-carry-ii

http://www.para-usa.com/firearms/exp...tCommander.php

Carrying and shooting one of these will change how you feel about the skiff anchor, common 1911.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast