Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Hi Capacity and Thick vs Low Capacity and Thin

So, what are you thoughts on this? If you had to chose between the two, which would you chose.

Would you opt for a higher capacity pistol, but in doing so, opt for a thicker, heavier pistol?

Would you opt for a lower capacity pistol but in doing so, opt for a thinner lighter pistol?

I'm asking cause I'm torn. I have found that I like having 16 rounds of ammo on me. But at the same time. The pistol that carries it is heavy and bulky. If you wear it all day long, you can't help but notice it on your hip.

On the other hand. I have a slim low capacity pistol. It rides on my hip in the exact same holster as my large capacity does. But it seems to disappear. I barely notice it during the day, it is very easy to conceal, and I can dress nicer without fear of it printing. But it only carries 8 rounds, and I do miss having the extra ammo on me.

Plus... I always carry an extra magazine. The low capacity is much easier to carry over the high capacity, since they usually end up in my pants pocket.

So, which do you opt for. When you chose your choice, please answer these questions for me. Why do you chose what you do? How much do you wear your pistol during the day? How do you carry your firearm (inside or outside waistband)?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Berks County)

Default Re: Hi Capacity and Thick vs Low Capacity and Thin

Honestly,

I like short and double stacked. IE g19, g23, g30

Or go wild, get a kel tec pmr30. 30+1 rounds of .22 magnum in a light weight package.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Chester County)

Take a look at the Ruger SR9 or SR40. High capacity yet remarkably slim.

(Berks County)

I went with a Beretta Px4 Subcompact .40 10 rnds it weighs 26 oz so it is on the heavy side but small enough to EDC IWB all day. The 9 mm holds 13 rnds. I prefer the DA/SA platform but there are ample striker fired pistols out there , S&W MPc comes to mind I have a M&P .40 full size that is a bedside gun. Granted there are very good single stacks out there but with the top quality holsters that can be had on the market now why limit yourself. With a good belt and holster you can carry all day regardless of the size of your firearm and not notice the weight .
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Chester County)

I have both types but think I prefer single stack most of the time. I run a walther pps 9mm in a comptac minotaur holster at about 4:30. I currently work from home, so I'm not wearing It for extended periods of the day but it is always on me when I leave. other than that I love the hk p2000sk in 9mm and am looking at a nice appendix carry rig. I think bigger guns run better in owb or appendix, while single stacks are comfortable for iwb behind hip. just my take.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Bucks County)

I carry a G19 in the winter so I can conceal it better and an XDS in the summer. I do get a little bummed out about only carrying 6 rounds of .45acp.
    I rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

(Butler County)

I have gotten really lazy when it comes to carrying. My EDC is a pocket carried Kahr CM9 fully loaded (6+1) with CT lasergrip. I never have an extra mag on me, but occasionally I'll have one nearby (car or backpack). That being said, it is ALWAYS on me. ALWAYS. Occasionally, during the winter when I am not in work attire (which is rare) I will upgrade to my CZ P07 Duty (16+1) but that is seldom the case.

I look at it like this, I would rather have 7 shots on me 100% of the time than 16 shots 75% of the time.

(Jefferson County)

Get one of each..

Sometimes you need a thinner/smaller gun, sometimes it doesn't matter if it is big. I have handguns of all sizes so I can pick for my mood, attire, event, or activity.

Dont let the capacity issue worry you. Odds are you will never use it, and if you do the exchange rate with good guy + bad guy rarely exceeds 5 to 6 rounds COMBINED.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Mercer County)

It sounds like something like the Shield would be ideal for you. It's better to carry a smaller, lower capacity gun comfortably ALL of the time, than to not carry a higher capacity gun because it's too big, bulky, or uncomfortable.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

xds and extra mag in the summer.
    xd9 sc in the winter

Box of SD ammo in the carsafe just in case of zombies
    Last edited by amnesia; July 22nd, 2013 at 04:43 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast