Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default State Game Land #300 - Archbald

Has anyone been here recently to use the pistol range? According to this website, the distance is 50 yards:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2

However, if you look at the overhead map from Google it seems as though the benches are moved way in, almost to about 16 or 20 yards:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.492...02059&t=h&z=16

So what gives? How close are you actually shooting from at SGL 300?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: State Game Land #300 - Archbald

Unofficially; there is no set distance, but as you see in the map the area is most often used within 20 yards. The tables get moved a lot and usually you are stuck shooting at the distance of whomever was there first. So if the first to an empty range wants to practice their 5yd draw, so are you; but if instead the person is practicing their 25yd bullseye, you're going to be doing that too.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the reply, you may have saved me a lot of driving. It's nice to know that at least the benches aren't fixed at 50 yards like the website seems to indicate.

(Lackawanna County)

was there last week and took out my tape measure, 53 ft. fro 2 x4 's to shooting side of table, last 3 or 4 trips tables were in same position. was just curious to distance i was actually shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesepisa View Post
    was there last week and took out my tape measure, 53 ft. fro 2 x4 's to shooting side of table, last 3 or 4 trips tables were in same position. was just curious to distance i was actually shooting.
    Good to know.

I think the pistol area was always indicated as 50 FEET, not yards. There are two rifle benches at 50 yards.

EDIT: I take that back, the PGC website does say 50 YARDS for the pistol area. That is NOT the case. Never was.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2
    Last edited by CL3; July 24th, 2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: PGC website

(Chester County)

I was at SGL 300 this afternoon and man was it beautiful. The tables were actually full most of the afternoon, but everyone was very courteous of each other.

It seems to me like the benches could be moved, but I doubt they ever are. I'd say the above estimate of 53 feet is close to correct. It felt right around 20 yards although I didn't actually measure.

As for guys wanting to take closer shots - there was a couple guys with their boys there who wanted to move walk in a handful of times. They waited until everyone else was done, made it clear that they wanted to walk in, never a problem. Great afternoon. I highly recommend shooting here for pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuck View Post
    I was at SGL 300 this afternoon and man was it beautiful. The tables were actually full most of the afternoon, but everyone was very courteous of each other.

It seems to me like the benches could be moved, but I doubt they ever are. I'd say the above estimate of 53 feet is close to correct. It felt right around 20 yards although I didn't actually measure.

As for guys wanting to take closer shots - there was a couple guys with their boys there who wanted to move walk in a handful of times. They waited until everyone else was done, made it clear that they wanted to walk in, never a problem. Great afternoon. I highly recommend shooting here for pistols.
    Shhhhhh! Now the "secret" is out...!!

Seriously though, this range is beautiful, and we should be lucky to keep it that way. So treat it like it was your own and we'll all benefit!

(Allegheny County)

I was at the Archbald Range yesterday morning. Maybe about 7 people on the pistol side. There was a group of people just acting like unsafe idiots... Packed up and left. First bad experience I've had there.

Can anyone confirm that this range has a 200 yard section for rifles? Looks like it from google maps but I have a rifle I want to try out at this distance.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingtoAmerica View Post
    Can anyone confirm that this range has a 200 yard section for rifles? Looks like it from google maps but I have a rifle I want to try out at this distance.
    Confirmed. 200 yard all of the way to end (I want to say 2 benches under cover), lots of 100 yard benches under cover, then two 50 yard benches not covered. There's a pistol area and a shotgun area. Everything has been recently rebuilt. Quit nice. The backstops are rubber mats that you can staple easily to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast