Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Ummm, is my 1911 Series 70 or Series 80?

So I have a newb question. What the hell is the difference between Series 70 and 80 1911s? I'm trying to buy new parts (grip safety, etc),for my Para 1911, and on certain parts I need to choose Series 70 or 80. How do I know what to pick? Any help greatly appreciated!

This is the gun I have:
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=83435

Default Re: Ummm, is my 1911 Series 70 or Series 80?

If your gun has a firing pin safety in the slide it is a series 80 style gun.

Kimber has a different swartz style safety in their series II guns from what Colt uses.

Here is a look at the Kimber Pre-Series II and Series II

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Stay tuned, gotta get pics.

Ok, here we go.

The series 1s all have internal extractors, the IIs can have either, the new production series IIs have the internal. Kimber had some issues with the external extractor, some pistols worked great, some horrible. Kimber scrapped the external and went back to the internal sue to customer demand(I got this info directly from Kimber customer service)

Safties, the series 1s are based on the Colt Series 70 style with no firing pin safety.

The Series IIs are based on the Colt Series 80 style with the firing pin safety.

The firing pin safety is a pin liked to the pin that holds the sear and the disconnector togeeather, that pin is lifted up by depressing the grip safety, and the pin pushes up a "button" on the under side of the slide and moves the firing pin into the firing position.

Most 1911 fans don't like the Series 80/Series II safties as it is one more thing that can break, and requires the gun to be disassemnled a little differently. Also, some guns with the series 80/series II safties are a little more fussy in operation. Some guns the pin may be too short and not ush up on the "button" as well as it should. Mainly this is due to incorrect take down and reassembly.

The difference in field stripping is that the grip safety MUST NOT be pressed in during take down and reassembly or the slide will damage the pin that lifts the "button" the pin sticks up out of the frame when the grips safety is pushed in. If done incorrectly you can damage the pin and the safety won't work.

Disabling the series 80/series II safety: Some people will remove the parts, DO NOT DO THIS, you should never disable the safety of any weapon.

Pics:

Series 1 and series II, both with internal extractors. Series I type pistol is on top.

Series II, grip safety not pressed in (active) you can see the pin inside the frame

Grip safety pressed in (inactive) you can see the pin poking out

Series 1 bottom of slide

Series II bottom of slide

I can't show the internal parts of the slide safety mechanism as it requires removal of the rear sight.

Hope this helps your understanding of the difference between the two.

Also, buy a series I if you can find them.
    Stand by, I've got a good graphic of the Colt Pre series 80 stlye guns and Series 80 and later guns...
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

Here is a picture of the series 80 components, if you have these, it's a series 80, if not is referred to "Series 70"

I honestly don't remember my Paras well enough to say what they had in them...but I want to say that it was the Colt style safety mechanism which IMHO is better than the Kimber system.

*Edited to add
    It is the Colt Series 80 mech. in the Para, page 12 of the Para owners manual states the following:

Firing Pin Lock: To minimize the risk of accidental discharge that may be the result of the pistol being dropped or
    the muzzle receiving a blow, this safety device prevents
    the movement of the firing pin until the trigger is
    intentionally pressed.
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; April 29th, 2008 at 12:17 PM.

(Lycoming County)

Boy, those Gen 1 Kimbers sure were nice guns. Never shoulda' sold mine. Who knew?
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Average Baer View Post
    Boy, those Gen 1 Kimbers sure were nice guns. Never shoulda' sold mine. Who knew?
    Tell me about it, I never should have gotten rid of my Pre Series II CDP Compact.

The one pictured has been traded/sold off, it was a problematic .40S&W, currently the only Pre Series II Kimber we have is a CDP Ultra .45ACP, and it won't be leaving the stable any time soon.

(Franklin County)

Did you buy a Para instead of one of the Springfields?

(Berks County)

No, I had a Para already. It has "in the white" steel controls, and I'm replacing them all with stainless.

I'm buying the custom shop Springfield.