Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Thinking of getting a .22

I shot my wife's PT22 at the range yesterday. Went through 100 rounds, had a blast and cost me about 10 bucks. I've never really thought about having a 22 semi or revolver but with the cost of ammo I'm considering getting one (I usually shoot my .380 or .40).

I've never owned a wheel gun so I thought that might be fun and would kill two birds with one stone. I've also wanted a 1911 for a long time so I thought about getting a 1911-22.

What I am looking for is just a gun to enjoy at the range or plinking in the mountains. I would like to keep it under $250 if possible. What would you recommend?

III% - Stand and be counted

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Thinking of getting a .22

I have an old Star model F. An FR Sport to be exact. They are no longer in production and don't sell for much, but are very well put together and mine is far more accurate than I am. You can probably get one in your price range.

Pic is from an auction, but mine is nearly identical:

The only downside is extra mags are unobtanium, so try to get one that comes with an extra, and avoid one that has no mag. There's a reason why it's for sale...

(Schuylkill County)

Are you not a Firestorm/Bersa guy? How about a Firestorm 22-6? Its a .22 based on the .380 design but with a 6 inch barrel. I've been wanting one, but do not have the money to spend right now. I own a Colt Huntsman 6" barrel that I shoot out to 70 yards with great success.

(Westmoreland County)

I have the Ruger 22/45 that I love to shoot, it is very accurate and dependable. If you watch you can catch them used in the $225 - $300 range.

(Lehigh County)

What size barrel is on the p22, 3.4" or 5"? I have both and switch them out. You can pick up a barrel kit for around $100, feels like a whole new pistol.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    Are you not a Firestorm/Bersa guy? How about a Firestorm 22-6? Its a .22 based on the .380 design but with a 6 inch barrel. I've been wanting one, but do not have the money to spend right now. I own a Colt Huntsman 6" barrel that I shoot out to 70 yards with great success.
    I didn't know Bersa made a .22.

I'll check them out and see what the going rate is.

III% - Stand and be counted

(Chester County)

You may have to spend a few more bucks, but it is worth it. A Ruger MK II, III, or Browning Buckmark will serve you well.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rblakely View Post
    I shot my wife's PT22 at the range yesterday. Went through 100 rounds, had a blast and cost me about 10 bucks. I've never really thought about having a 22 semi or revolver but with the cost of ammo I'm considering getting one (I usually shoot my .380 or .40).

I've never owned a wheel gun so I thought that might be fun and would kill two birds with one stone. I've also wanted a 1911 for a long time so I thought about getting a 1911-22.

What I am looking for is just a gun to enjoy at the range or plinking in the mountains. I would like to keep it under $250 if possible. What would you recommend?
    As the owner of a Heritage Rough Rider, i highly recommend them, and you can get one for under $250 ++ you can shoot 22lr, 22longs, 22shorts and 22cb+++change out the cylinder and shoot 22 magnums++++ you don't have to worry about it being ammo sensitive.

Does that meet your needs?
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Lycoming County)

LGS is holding a MK II target for me until pay day that looks practically new. Picked it up for $300 and should be a real tack driver. My dad picked up a S&W 22a @ a month ago for $250 and it is definetly a fun little .22 pretty darn accurate and has been reliable so far with Federal and CCI Standard velocity. Haven't tried the real cheap stuff through it yet.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    I have an old Star model F. An FR Sport to be exact. They are no longer in production and don't sell for much, but are very well put together and mine is far more accurate than I am. You can probably get one in your price range.

Pic is from an auction, but mine is nearly identical:

The only downside is extra mags are unobtanium, so try to get one that comes with an extra, and avoid one that has no mag. There's a reason why it's for sale...

Very nice! I want to get one of these some day. Try Bob's gun parts for mags http://www.gun-parts.com/magazines2/ They're mail order only but they have them listed in stock.