Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Game of Inches

(Lebanon County)

Default Game of Inches

Get out there, help a farmer, more hunting time in the field, etc. I could go on and on about hunting chucks. A few afternoons ago I went 2 for 2. This afternoon I went 1 for 3. I am biased, but give shootin' at chucks a whirl. You just may get hooked, like me.

How do I explain the misses ?? Deer hunting, Turkey hunting, Golf, Fishin, me and my buddies used a number system for excuses. The numbers ran fron 1 to infinity. This afternoon I did a #12 & a #27. I will explain those later.

Those 2 misses were made up with a 110 yard shot. Patience and fundamentals worked on making this the 'right shot'.

a) The first pic will give you an idea of the cabbage I was shooting through. I am not the best shooter. I consider myself just fair. The equipment makes me better than I am. It took 45 minutes to yank the trigger. I stood up once to spook the chuck, just making sure I did not take a crack at the farmer's cat. Now I had an identification that said fire when ready.
    b) Pic 2 shows the chuck sliding back into his hole. That's how I found him.
    c) Pic 3 is a game of inches. Entry wound was very close to a miss.
    d) This pic gives you an idea of what I was seeing through my binocs. You gotta' look hard to see the chuck in the cabbage, on this recreation. On the shot I could see his nose and ear fairly clear at 16 power.

Again. Fellow hunters, get out there. Granted they are not 12 point bucks, but the season is very long and rewarding. Even if you don't give the trigger a yank that day.

OH ! ! Now the misses. Both relatively easy shots. Not shooting in the cabbage. One at about 200 I did the #12. Over confident and toooo fast on the yank of the trigger. Shame ! The #27 about 170. I just was not comfortable. My scope kept blacking out (I had all the time in the world). I got a partial view through the eye relief. Yanked and missed. Shame ! Boy can I screw up fundamentals.

BUT, on the 110 yarder I did it right. I could have gone home empty, but it matters not. I was out in the fields.

fossil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Delaware County)

Default Game of Inches

Bit of a hot day to be out hunting whistle pigs. Glad that you got out and had some action-I love those days when I am 1 for 1 on the hogs but just going out and enjoying the splendor is fabulous.

Keep up the good work and, as always, back it up with some photos.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007