Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default What exactly do I have here?

Obviously, a Dan Weston 357.... But for some reason EVERYONE I show this too wants to buy it, not sure why, hoping I can get some honest feedback.

Father passed away last october, found a few old revolvers, shot gun (I'll be posting this one too) his hunting rifle, and a 22 rifle... No one seems to be impressed with anything other than the shot gun, and this guy.

So, the fine print on the gun.

"Dan Wesson Arms
    357 MAGNUM CTG."

"DAN WESSON ARMS
    MONSON, MASS. U.S.A
    -MODEL NO. -D11-

I do not see any SN# on the gun, I suppose it could be under the wooden grip, but I didn't want to take it apart.

Thanks!

(Berks County)

Default Re: What exactly do I have here?

This is one of the first that they made. Not too sure on the collectors value. It was a radical design then and now, as the barrel lengths could be changed by the shooter.

A quick check on gunbroker should give you some ideas on the price.

It should have come with a tool to remove the nut that holds the barrel shroud in place, and a feeler gauge to set the cylinder gap.

Good find and some good taste on your father's behalf.
    gotta love her ;)

(Beaver County)

That's is a very nice old "Porkchop". By Porkchop I mean when you remove the barrel from the gun the shroud has a tail simmilar in appearance to a pork chop bone. I'm a big DW fan. Have probly a dozen now. While I don't collect that particular style it is very collectible. A absolute great shooting gun. The older DW's were some of the best revolvers made. Definitely a Colt rival. Think custom performance right out of the box. Does the gun have any "Barney" ( places were the blueing turned purple). If not and the gun is tight and in good working order is say in the 400-550 range for value.

Also wanted to add the difference between target and service gun. Service gun had fixed sights (model 11), target gun had adjustable sights (model 12). Newer versions are 14 and 15 or 15-2 respectively.

Check out the folks at the DW forum for more than you ever wanted to know.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; July 20th, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(York County)

a Dan Wesson Model D11; "service" porkchop. They are pretty awesome guns. It doesn't look like you have the original grips. Without the case, multi-tool, orginal parts it's not exactly a prized collectors item. From what little I know; pick up an aftermarket feeler gauge and tool so you can set the cylinder gap then go have fun with it. As far as revolvers go I think the DW's are some of the best out there. A great trigger and very accurate.

Post it up on http://www.danwessonforum.com/ and ask them. Those guys are experts.
    Last edited by hss.strat; July 21st, 2013 at 08:15 AM.