Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Kimber LifeAct / Guardian Angel "Review"

Note: I am not endorsing/recommending this product. This "review" is simply my impression of the product, having recently purchased it to supplement my carry firearm. I have not deployed this product, and can make no claims to it's effectiveness.

Kimber LifeAct-Guardian Angel

From the Kimber website:
    The new LifeActTM Guardian Angel® is the most advanced non-lethal self defense tool available today. It renders conventional pepper sprays obsolete and stops threats at a safe distance. Small, light and ergonomic, it carries easily in pocket or purse, and an integral clip also secures it to a belt. The outer body conforms to either a right or left-hand grip, and fits almost any size hand. The Guardian Angel contains two cylinders with powerful concentrations of near pharmaceutical grade OC (oleoresin capsicum), a devastatingly effective inflammatory agent. Driven by pyrotechnic charges, the solution travels at 90 MPH with little chance of cross-contamination, and with enough energy to wrap around glasses or penetrate a face mask. Effect is immediate and lasts for up to 45 minutes. Unlike conventional sprays, the Guardian Angel does not lose pressure over time.

• Instantly incapacitates an assailant.
    • Much more effective than sprays.
    •Revolutionary propulsion operation.
    •Jet delivery minimizes cross-contamination.
    •Delivers two powerful blasts of OC.

An article printed in S.W.A.T. magazine may be viewed here.

The following are my reasons for purchasing, and thoughts about the product:

I was looking for an OC spray to carry in addition to my carry gun, as well as in place of a firearm for instances where carry is not possible, or for use in place of using a firearm when not warranted. I walk with my dog twice a day, and after some close calls, I thought OC may be a better choice for use on other animals. Additionally, I wanted something that my wife could carry and/or keep in her vehicle. I knew that whatever product I chose, it needed to be something that is easily carried, otherwise, it would likely be left at home.

I had done a limited amount of research into the different types of OC delivery systems. Sprays seem to be questionable in windy conditions, and streams must be more precisely aimed. This product appears to overcome these issues to an extent, by delivering the OC agent at a high speed in a concentrated area.
    The unit is not an aerosol spray. It "shoots" the OC using a "pyrotechnic" charge.(you get 2 shots)

The unit comes in a tin box, with detailed instructions.

One thing I feel is important to point out, is that in all of the reading I did before purchasing, I was led to believe these units have an indefinite shelf life.
    "Unlike conventional sprays, the Guardian Angel does not lose pressure over time." (Kimber website) Yet, you will note on the box, there is an expiration date, and the instructions(inside the sealed container)recommend that the unit not be used past the expiration date.

Guardian Angel shown with dollar bill for size comparison below

Close-up of trigger and "swing-away" trigger guard. (more on that later)
    At first glance, the small tabs on the side look like "break-away" tabs, but they are not attached to the sides, they merely "snap" into slots to keep the guard in place.

The belt clip works well for clipping onto your pocket.(very comfortable for me)
    I Don't know how well the clip would work over pants and a belt.(on the waist) It seems that it may be pushing the limits of the clip by doing so.

One thing I found when looking for the best place to carry the Guardian Angel while carrying my sidearm, is that the most logical place(for me)was my right, front pocket. This does not work well for me, as the OC unit hits my holster upon "drawing" from the pocket. This could easily result in loss of control of the unit, and is something to consider before simply slapping it on and going about your business.

Overall, I have mixed feelings on the unit. It seems fairly well designed, but there are a few "issues" I have with it.

The unit itself is made of plastic, and I may apply a small strip of textured tape on each side, as it is a bit slippery. This could be a problem in an emergency situation.

The Guardian Angel is larger than most other OC units, and while it carries well in a pocket, or on the waistband, it can not easily be carried discretely, in the hand - at the ready, like smaller, canister-type sprays. Something to consider for someone who may wish to have an OC spray IN their hand, without shouting to the world, "I have Mace!" as they walk to their car.

The "swing-away" trigger guard is not very durable. I wanted to practice deploying the unit,(w/o discharging)and after pushing the trigger guard away approximately 15 times, over a few days, it cracked at the "hinge". (see photos below)

I wrote to Kimber in the hopes that the unit could be replaced, and the reply I got was:

The Guardian Angel is designed to be a disposable device. The trigger
    guard is designed to be a breakaway and not intended for repeated
    operation. The term swing away is used to describe what occurs when a
    finger is inserted over the trigger. For safety reasons, practice should
    only be performed with "dummy" or practice dye units. The unit without
    the guard is still safe to carry and operate.

Nowhere in any of the literature does it mention it as a "breakaway" trigger guard, nor does it mention the use of dummy or practice dye units.
    From a customer service standpoint, I was left slightly disappointed. It seems to me, that if the unit were "safe to carry and operate" without the trigger guard, it would not be there in the first place.
    I certainly will not be giving this unit to my wife to carry in her purse!
    (Trigger resistance is noted in the literature, as 6.6 lbs.)

Before you go away thinking I have nothing good to say, I will mention that with it's "faults", I still like the delivery system of this unit. I've seen the video clips of it being used, and if you recall, I mentioned walking my dog... I'd rather have a unit that can put most of the OC agent on/near the target, than having a spray "fog" that could affect myself or my pet. I'd like to hear from anyone who has deployed the Guardian Angel, to learn if this assumption is correct.

Aside from the larger size of the unit in comparison to canister-type sprays, the design does fit in the hand well. The edges are all smoothly rounded, and will not catch on clothing, and construction(aside from the flimsy trigger guard)is quite good.

The belt clip may be useful to hold the unit in place on the sun visor of a vehicle, keeping it close at hand, and according to the literature, has an operating temperature of -4ºF - 176ºF.

I like the way it orients itself in the hand, and has a more natural "shooting/trigger" feel than units that operate by depressing a nozzle with your thumb.

(Random thought: I've noted that most people who see it, think it's a tazer.)

Hopefully some of this was useful to someone reading.
    If you have your own experiences with this device, or have anything to add, please feel free to post your thoughts!

I will update this as I go, with anything that I may have overlooked.

Last edited by Emptymag; April 29th, 2008 at 09:16 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Default Re: Kimber LifeAct / Guardian Angel "Review"

Bazinga

(Cambria County)

Looks interesting. Thanks for the review so far, I look forward to the rest.

Do you have any idea what the listed SHU for the spray is?

Another thing, looking at the spec chart, it says:

Minimum Safe Distance: 2ft.

Sounds like lots of potential for Civil repercussions. Some puke takes you to court because he attacks you, knocks you to the ground, and jumps on top of you. Then you spray him point blank resulting in burns, and permanent scaring due to the pyrotechnic propulsion deploying the spray. You are found negligent because you should have known not to use it at such a close distance. Scars on the face always bring in the big $$$.

Is that concern addressed with the instruction manual, or whatever?

Does anyone know how this product tastes in soups, sauces, and on meats?

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    Sounds like lots of potential for Civil repercussions. Some puke takes you to court because he attacks you, knocks you to the ground, and jumps on top of you. Then you spray him point blank resulting in burns, and permanent scaring due to the pyrotechnic propulsion deploying the spray. You are found negligent because you should have known not to use it at such a close distance. Scars on the face always bring in the big $$$.
    I have regrettable personal experience with this product. I was at a fraternity party where one unfortunate fellow volunteered to take a stream to the face with LifeAct. Somebody's girlfriend brought her LifeAct out, and shot the guy from about three feet distance. While there was an audible pop, there were no sparks or flames to indicate polytechnic propulsion. There is no way this thing could cause powderburn or other kinds of burn from its propulsion system.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by steveforopen View Post
    I have regrettable personal experience with this product. I was at a fraternity party where one unfortunate fellow volunteered to take a stream to the face with LifeAct. Somebody's girlfriend brought her LifeAct out, and shot the guy from about three feet distance. While there was an audible pop, there were no sparks or flames to indicate polytechnic propulsion. There is no way this thing could cause powderburn or other kinds of burn from its propulsion system.
    Interesting, I always like to hear about first hand accounts. I only mentioned the 'pyrotechnics' as it was described in the Product Description.

Quote Originally Posted by From the Kimber website

The unit is not an aerosol spray. It "shoots" the OC using a "pyrotechnic" charge.(you get 2 shots)
    I also wonder about the cost benefit analysis when comparing the force/range of the shots, vs being limited to only two shots/sprays.

When she shot the guy with it, did it produce the desired effect? (or perhaps undesired, since it was at a party!) Was it a first time hit? Do you think she would have missed at a further range?

(Allegheny County)

OK, I've "finished" my review and unlocked the thread.

steveforopen, I'd REALLY like to hear as much info as you can give regarding having seen this product in use.

I wrote to Kimber in the hopes that the unit could be replaced, and the reply I got was:

That seems like a snotty attitude from them
    Maybe if you told them you were a mod on a forum and were testing to let other members know the benefits, they would send you a practice one, or another one you could actually deploy and then write about?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    That seems like a snotty attitude from them
    Maybe if you told them you were a mod on a forum and were testing to let other members know the benefits, they would send you a practice one, or another one you could actually deploy and then write about?
    I did mention it, actually... my e-mail is freezing up. I'll try and post what I sent to them later.

Have to run!

ETA: Here's the e-mail I sent to Kimber.
    (Not a bad Idea asking for a product to test, but I never thought of it.)

Dear Sirs,
    Please forward this to the appropriate department, as I am unable to
    locate an e-mail contact for warranty claims on your website.

On 4/17/08 I purchased a LifeAct Guardian Angel unit from a local
    vendor.
    My purpose for purchasing it is to have available, a non lethal means of
    defense available when the use of a firearm is not warranted. I
    purchased with the intent to carry the unit on my person and had planned
    on purchasing another for my wife until tonight.

This evening, while practicing removing the unit from my pocket and
    pushing the "swing-away" trigger guard aside with my index finger, the
    "hinge" broke.

I understand that the trigger guard may not be designed for repeated
    manipulation, but if one is to carry such a unit, it goes without saying
    that it's presentation should be practiced. I had only moved the trigger
    guard aside approximately 15 times total, over the last few days, before
    it cracked at the hinge. I was able to try a "dummy" unit at the shop
    before I made my purchase, and it was not broken, despite having
    obviously been "tested" many times.

Overall, I am happy with it, and had planned to do a "review" to post on
    the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association forum. (www.pafoa.org/forum)

I trust that this is not a common issue, and my unit can be replaced.

I look forward to a reply.
    The reply from kimber:
    Last edited by Emptymag; April 29th, 2008 at 10:32 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    Looks interesting. Thanks for the review so far, I look forward to the rest.

Do you have any idea what the listed SHU for the spray is?

Another thing, looking at the spec chart, it says:

Minimum Safe Distance: 2ft.

Is that concern addressed with the instruction manual, or whatever?

Carnes,
    I don't see a listing for the SHU.

Regarding the safe distance, I don't believe it has anything to do with burns, so much as the speed at which the OC agent is delivered.

From the manual:
    Do not point or shoot the Guardian Angel at the eyes or face from a short distance, as eye injury may result. Maintain a distance of at least 2 feet between nozzles and the face of an assailant to minimize risk of eye injury.

I think it's an "impact" issue.
    Much like a paintball will only cause serious harm if it hits an eye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast