Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default modifying barrel for chokes

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything to answer my question. I have a Rem 870 that I cut the barrel down to 18.5". I want to know, can I legally thread the barrel for Rem Chokes or do I have to use an FFL machinist?
    Also, I am in York, PA. Are there any gunsmiths close that would do this work for me, and about how much would you charge?
    If I go the gunsmith route, I'd be looking for them to true up the end of the barrel (I never finished it), install a bead sight, thread it for Rem Chokes, and re-finish it. Thanks!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: modifying barrel for chokes

Alright, I'll take a shot here. You can do it yourself, if you know how. I have never hears of a ffl machinist, so I don't know who you would send it to. You can send the barrel to any gunsmith you like. Call around and see who can do the work you require. The only time a ffl would be required is if you send the entire gun via mail to someone to work on. you can physically take it to any gunsmith you like.

It may or maynot be possible most choked barrels are larger at the muzzle end than anywhere elese on the barrel (excluding the chamber) you'll have to measure to see if there will be enough "meat" to work with.

(York County)

thank you for the reply gentleman. After seeing the price of the appropriate reamer, I do believe that I will be out sourcing this to my local gunsmith.

(Lehigh County)

That is why you need to ream it before threading, so the barrel and choke are even. There are shallow reamers, It's a little more difficult to do, but can be done, UNLESS where he cut the barrel left 0 meat and reaming would make the walls to thin for safety. Reamer and cutter, to buy, should be about $250 a set. I have often thought about it, but never bought a set.

(York County)

Hi,
    You need to leave a minimum of .015" of barrel after it is reamed and threaded. A Rem-choke has .814 x 32 tpi threads which means you would need an outside diameter of .844" and a barrel wall that is .030".
    There is also the Tru-Choke thinwall which is a .775 x 44 thread.