Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default New lever-action 30-30

I would like to get a brand new lever action 30-30, any opinions on what the best out there might be? I want to get a really nice one that will last.

Default Re: New lever-action 30-30

How much do you want to spend? You can't go wrong with a Winchester or Marlin.

I honestly don't know what the best one is but my Marlin 336 is 6 yrs old and looks brand new. I have a Bushnell 12X on it and it will take out a FL crow at 177 yds with one shot (I know this from experience hahaha). Prints a solid 3.2" group at 200 yds off of a home built, professional grade rest designed to simulate recoil into the shoulder and give the exact same dampening with each shot. I was actually a little miffed that the average group size at that distance was as big as it is. I'd have liked to have seen closer to 2" off of a fully supported rest with no shooter error other than target ac/reacquirement (ammo obviously is Hornaday rubber tip). Still isn't bad for a bone stock 30-30. Inside of 150 yds (or further with excellent shot placement), a large bear is no match for a 30-30. YMMV
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Chester County)

Marlin 336

Durable, affordable and hella-accurate out to 150 yards. You can't go wrong.

I have one in .35 rem. It's my go to deer rifle.

(Westmoreland County)

I don't believe the Remington manufactured Marlin is a good choice as they still seem to be having QC problems.

You're better off surfing the auction sites for a gently used "JM" Marlin or Winchester as they can still be had at very affordable prices.

Just curious but why does it have to be new? You can find a lot of barely used lever actions out there for reasonable prices. To be honest, I think the prices on new lever guns is too high.

Just in the past 2 years I have picked up 3 more lever guns at really low prices and all were barely used:

Marlin 30AS in 30-30, $150 (won in a raffle and winner didn't want it)

Win 94 in .32 Special, made in 1968 and looks almost new, $200

Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag, has some wear but couldn't pass it up at $150

Deals like this are few and far between but they are out there if you are patient and spend the time looking.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    I don't believe the Remington manufactured Marlin is a good choice as they still seem to be having QC problems.

You're better off surfing the auction sites for a gently used "JM" Marlin or Winchester as they can still be had at very affordable prices.
    +1...there does seem to be some talk about the new Marlins still being wet behind the ears. There are usually dozens of 'real' Marlin rifles in different calibers skating the gun shows, as well. Shop wisely, though, as I have seen a couple 30-30's just like mine going for $100 more, used, than I paid for mine, new.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post

+1 on this. The new Remlin 30/30 will not have the quality of the Marlin of old. Some have canted sight, bad bluing, bad wood checkering, bad fit, machine marks, jacked up screws and other issues.

Buy used if you can. If want new get a Henry or dare I say it...buy a Rossi Rio Grande

Quote Originally Posted by theyoungone View Post
    or dare I say it...buy a Rossi Rio Grande
    F... me...I just looked at the stainless model. Sweet...if it shoots and holds up as good as it looks.

(Lackawanna County)

Like others said, Marlin 336. Mine is from the mid 90s, still looks great, reliable , accurate and built like a tank. Side eject makes it more user friendly (IMO) than the top eject Winchester 94.
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast