Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Do you have to pay for a transfer when purchasing a handgun at your LGS?

Do you have to pay for a transfer when purchasing a handgun in PA at a brick and mortar gun shop? For example if the sticker price for a gun I want is $500, do I pay $500 + tax, or do I pay $500 + tax + transfer?

Thus far all the handguns I've purchased have been done through online vendors, so I arranged the transfer through an FFL that I paid.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Do you have to pay for a transfer when purchasing a handgun at your LGS?

Yes, The price of the transfer will vary from store to store though

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Do you have to pay for a transfer when purchasing a handgun at your LGS?

Quote Originally Posted by QueechoFeecho View Post
    Do you have to pay for a transfer when purchasing a handgun in PA at a brick and mortar gun shop? For example if the sticker price for a gun I want is $500, do I pay $500 + tax, or do I pay $500 + tax + transfer?

Thus far all the handguns I've purchased have been done through online vendors, so I arranged the transfer through an FFL that I paid.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Are you talking about purchasing a used gun from a gun shop, or using a gun shop to do the paperwork on a private sale?

If the latter, yes, you obviously have to pay for the transfer, but I'm pretty sure there's no sales tax.

If the former, it depends on the shop. They might include the cost of the NICS/PICS check in the sticker price, or they might not. Just ask them.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Centre County)

It depends on how the LGS sets their prices.

When I sell a gun (typically a special order as I am not a stocking dealer) I build the transfer fee into the out the door price. When I quote a person the price, it is everything included, sales tax, transfer, etc. that way there are no surprises when they come to pick it up.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

You got to be kidding! This is Pennsylvania: tax,tax,tax,pay,pay,tax,tax,tax,pay,pay,tax,tax,ta x,pay,pay,pay. It is our duty to keep all the crooked parasites rollin in dough to give out to all there crooked friends, so they can get it back in kickbacks.

(Monroe County)

Normally if you are buying a gun from your local dealer you are paying for the PICS(background check). It should be 5$. Some places will roll it into the price and make it "free" others will try to gouge you for more.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Centre County)

My local shop never charged me for transfer. But then I spent ALOT of money there. But some place do charge extra for transfer(or they may call it a paper work fee or wahtever)
    Infact, I've gotten so used to the idea of not paying for the transfer, that the when I bought a weapon outside of my useal network of gunshopin very limited occassion, I was shocked that they charged me extra $25 for a transfer!!
    Last edited by Mity2; November 21st, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Hokkmike Guest

Yes, always. Varies a little but not much.

(Bucks County)

To give you at least one specific example, my closest LGS charges $10 for guns purchased there, and $40 for guns shipped in. Another local shop charged me $10 for a gun purchased there - dunno what they charge for guns shipped in.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    It depends on how the LGS sets their prices.

When I sell a gun (typically a special order as I am not a stocking dealer) I build the transfer fee into the out the door price. When I quote a person the price, it is everything included, sales tax, transfer, etc. that way there are no surprises when they come to pick it up.
    Echo Xring here.... its like when I shop online for something and they offer FREE SHIPPING... we all know that its not FREE and the cost is built in.. thats ok with me, I just need the OUT THE DOOR Price... Adding $10 to a sale is as bad as the pocono gas stations bumping their gas prices on fridays before weekend traffic comes in. BAH HUMBUG!
    Gallagher Guns LLC Gun Shop/NRA Certified Instructor -Swiftwater

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast