Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default S&W Shield 9mm or .40 ??

So for the longest time I was using a Ruger LC9 as my "big" pocket gun, and something to carry when hiking in the woods. However, even though I'm a very good shot with handguns, I hated the LC9 because I was totally inaccurate with it. I think it was a combo of small sights, and a heavy trigger that broke weird.

Now I'm thinking about getting a replacement. I still like the size of the Ruger LC9 and I don't want anything bigger, and I actually like manual safeties so I think the S&W shield would be a good choice.

The role the Shield would be taking is to have a something between my 380 pocket guns and my full size 9mm. I would also be using it as a concealed carry for when I go hiking and camping. 99% of the time I carry when out in the woods because of crazy, bad people, however there is the 1% chance that I might have to use it as a last ditch defense against black bear. I know a shotgun, a rifle, or full sized handgun shooting magnum loads are better for bear, but again I rather have lightweight and easy to conceal.

I usually carry 9mm NATO while hiking thinking that is the deepest penetrating round to hopefully punch thru a bear skull that I can safely shoot out of a Ruger LC9. However I wonder if getting a Shield in .40 would be a better option, since the guns are exactly the same size, capacity and weight unloaded. So my questions are

Will a .40 FMJ penetrate better or deeper than a .9mm nato

I have plenty of 9mm ammo, but no .40. Right now is .40S&W ammo real hard to get?

Smile Re: S&W Shield 9mm or .40 ??

Haveing owned both calibers of this fine gun I can say the 40 is a handful,the 9mm superb both calibers were accurate 10 ring at 15yards every time.Sadly I missed my Kel-Tec PF-9 a lot slimmer,lighter and more comfortable to ccw in hot weather and replaced it.Its all about how much weight and degree of comfort in ccw.Still own my Shield 9mm but will wait on cooler weather and wearing jeans.Good luck,also it feed every type of 9mm ammo and flawlessly so go with what you prefer in ammo.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: S&W Shield 9mm or .40 ??

Had one in 9mm and really enjoyed it. That is until I got my hands on an XDS in .45acp
    I rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

I have the .40 and its a little snappy to shoot for a long session. I prefer 9MM in this size of a gun. I just got a XDs 9, and I have a Taurus 709 which both are excellent shooters and very fun to shoot in this frame. If I did it over again, I wouldnt have gotten a shield .40.

(Lehigh County)

Buy the .40, get a 9mm barrel and some mags and voila, decision made for you. Get both!

(Delaware County)

9mm with +p gold dots for me. 40 and 45 are a lot for a subcompact gun, IMO.

(Northampton County)

Does anyone hear have first hand experience using a 9mm barrel in a 40s&w shield? i have used conversion barrels in other guns but I dont know if i would trust my life to one seeing how the purpose of this weapon is intended for self-defense. I have bin debating 9mm or 40 in a shield lately but i have heard a lot of people say they like 9mm better then the 40.

(Schuylkill County)

A .40 S&W FMJ will penetrate much more than 9mm fmj.

Its been a while since I bought any ammo but from what I have been hearing .40 S&W is easier to find lately.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    A .40 S&W FMJ will penetrate much more than 9mm fmj.

Its been a while since I bought any ammo but from what I have been hearing .40 S&W is easier to find lately.
    Who in their right mind would use FMJ when carrying?
    I rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

(Bucks County)

I thought this was answered...about a dozen times. 9mm is everywhere. In the event of SHTF, which would you choose - 9mm or .40?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast