Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default My OC experience in the City of Brotherly Love...

First let me start off by saying I am not an accomplished OC advocate, but I am learning and doing the best I can...

Last Wednesday I went to the Dept of Vital Statistics located at 110 8th Street to order a birth certificate for my son. I parked in the parking lot across the street and entered into the bldg. When I entered I noticed a metal detector/x-ray and a sign that said weapons prohibited.

I asked the security working the x-ray if there were court facilities in the bldg and I was told yes. I told her I needed storage for my firearm and she told me there wasn't any storage available. I asked to speak to her supervisor, who happened to be the Capital Police Officer sitting at the desk right behind her.

The Officer told me they didn't have storage and that she couldn't help me. I asked to speak to her supervisor and she directed me to the Capital Police Office located in the Market Street bldg right around the corner.

I made my way there and spoke to Sgt Norton of the Capital Police.

At this point, my recording is going, and Sgt Norton tells me that the bldg is leased, there is not any storage. When I pressed the issue of what the law says, she responded "well, we are just gonna violate the law today." I asked her if they would store it at her location and she told me no that I was to take it my vehicle or come back without it.

I asked to speak to her supervisor and she directs me to the Harrisburg office and gave me Dep. Superitendant Brown's telephone number (717) 787-3199.

After waiting for several minutes, Sup. Brown gets on the phone and tells me the facilities technically aren't court facilities and that he appreciates my understanding and that he spoke to Sgt Norton and they would be willing to store my firearm for me while I tended to my business.

I will upload the audio once I can pull it off my micro SD card and figure out how to edit my full name, etc. but I want to add that before the flames come out this was my first challenge to authority with regards to firearms and I wanted Sgt Norton to eat her words and store my gun...

When I went back to pick the BC up, I wanted to press the issue about it not being a court facility based on my conversation with Sup. Brown but I didnt have the time, maybe one of you more accomplished advocates can follow up...

When I left the bldg, with firearm in tow, I noticed damage to my vehicle as it was parked in the parking lot so I waited for Philly's finest to show up.

The officer was polite and professional and with the exception of asking if I had a permit, and to see it, made no other mention of my firearm. No taking, touching, hard time, etc. He was from the 6th PCT.
    Bryan, Currently stationed at Langley AFB, Va

Default Re: My OC experience in the City of Brotherly Love...

You can always follow up with a letter yourself to the Chief of Capitol Police etc...with a link to the youtube audio recording...LOL I bet he would just love that.

CL

(Monroe County)

I think you did a good job. It would have been risky to push the "not technically a courthouse" issue. Forcing them to store your firearm was a win in my opinion. Plus you have evidence of a supervisor admitting to breaking the law!!!! In fact, im gonna rep you.

(Beaver County)

Congrats on not getting proned and throat-stomped. +1 for having audio at the ready.
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

(York County)

Great job with the follow through: asking about courts, going to another building, calling Harrisburg, knowing the rules, and sticking to your guns so to say. Many others would have tucked it away in their car and chalked up a loss. Rep sent!

(Chester County)

I love when law enforcement and the government (same thing) blatantly tells us they're going to "violate the law". I am tired of a different set of rules for the government bureaucracy.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    You can always follow up with a letter yourself to the Chief of Capitol Police etc...with a link to the youtube audio recording...LOL I bet he would just love that.

CL
    OBVIOUSLY! lol

I mean, Viper did it and got arrested twice missed a bunch of work and was threatened with 2 misdemeanors, but ended up walking away with $25k. Hopefully, they've since learned that we firearm owners won't be walked all over. Thanks to Viper for paving the way for us so the OP didn't get curb-stomped by the PPD. And +rep to the OP for standing his ground and following thru.

(Bucks County)

See, no flames! (yet) I think ,as others do, that you did a great job. I would OC with you any day.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill67 View Post
    See, no flames! (yet) I think ,as others do, that you did a great job. I would OC with you any day.
    I know.. But I also know some people get all twisted up at the slightest compromise so I wanted to be a little preemptive. :-)
    Bryan, Currently stationed at Langley AFB, Va

Good job. It is tough to stand up to "authorities" in almost any venue, but good for you for doing it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast